Agree to Disagree and Move On...don't get hostile to posters

Options

Replies

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

tumblr_n4rq36Ho6J1qdlh1io1_400.gif

It's too bad some people don't believe science because it's cool

I've been staring at this cheetah for so long, I don't even remember what this thread was about.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    There is a strong difference between people having a difference of opinion, and correcting people who are wrong.

If someone is running around posting crap advice (like the woman saying VLCD diets were just fine a few days ago), it is not an "attitude" when people called her out on it.

Me saying that pineapple is gross, and someone saying that it's divine, is a difference of opinions. If I, or the other poster, got hostile with "you're just a damn moron!" type of comments, that would be over the line. Although, pineapple is gross.

Perhaps, if you want to discuss people playing nice and "checking their attitudes" you should not create such a hostile first post.

You are a heathen and I shall oppose you're lies and vitriol 'til the end of days!:angry:

Check your attitude!!!! :explode:
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a thick skin, so I can take or leave what people say.

I think the warranty has run it's course. Might want to have that looked at for thin wear marks.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

tumblr_n4rq36Ho6J1qdlh1io1_400.gif

It's too bad some people don't believe science because it's cool

I've been staring at this cheetah for so long, I don't even remember what this thread was about.

:blushing: I did the same thing and had to re-read the OP...
  • chocl8grl
    chocl8grl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyj716Pkqf1qen75u.gif
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Opinions are opinions, but science and facts is a different thing. I don't see anything wrong with people defending facts.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    fcb27bd7bd9b341ed4ac4642205f8dad3724ad4af8eb661b534ebaed1c7dd736.jpg
    Why? Good question. But bomb-throwing OP won't be back to answer it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    There is a strong difference between people having a difference of opinion, and correcting people who are wrong.

If someone is running around posting crap advice (like the woman saying VLCD diets were just fine a few days ago), it is not an "attitude" when people called her out on it.

Me saying that pineapple is gross, and someone saying that it's divine, is a difference of opinions. If I, or the other poster, got hostile with "you're just a damn moron!" type of comments, that would be over the line. Although, pineapple is gross.

Perhaps, if you want to discuss people playing nice and "checking their attitudes" you should not create such a hostile first post.

You are a heathen and I shall oppose you're lies and vitriol 'til the end of days!:angry:

QFT...pineapple is amazingly delish!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Opinions are opinions, but science and facts is a different thing. I don't see anything wrong with people defending facts.

Yeah, well that's just like...your opinion man.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Check your attitude...I've posted on the forums fairly regularly in the past, mainly to help those who are asking questions. Even met some nice MFP friends doing that. But the more I do it, the less I have a desire to do it. Due to either actual trolls, or people who don't realize they're trolls. For newbies, trolls are people who post things w/the sole goal of stirring up angry conversation. I have a thick skin, so I can take or leave what people say. Others are hurt. But no one is helped by comments like that. I try to keep an open mind, but if I disagree, then I don't feel the need to get nasty to try to convince someone to come over to my position. The tone of the forums just seems to get progressively worse, and I really feel for the newbies who are slammed just for posting a question.

If you are truly sure of your beliefs or position, then you should be able to agree to disagree. You shouldn't take it as a personal attack that someone has a different opinion...and lash out at them. If you can't have a civil discussion without posting nasty, angry, or name-calling comments...then you have a problem. Whether it's anger, self esteem issues, or both. Take a look at your past posts...if it seems you're always getting rude w/someone, then maybe the problem isn't everyone else.

These days I mostly post and leave. Try to help someone w/a comment, but rarely go back to the thread, because it's just not worth messing w/the negativity. And a note for the newbies...if someone gets rude on one of your posts...you're not alone.

Ditto!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I officially dub today's gif theme as pineapple, now someone else start it off, cause I can't gif from work. :grumble:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I think it is mostly about the attitude of said "newbie." A lot of them come in here like this place didn't exist before yesterday and those of us who have been around for years couldn't possibly have come to the right conclusion about anything. That will earn a person some hostility.

I don't advocate being rude when it isn't warranted, but this IS the Internet. If you're going to post a question in a public forum, you need to be prepared for the fact that you may get responses from some rude people who can't believe you have the audacity to not know everything. You're not going to make the situation better for yourself by throwing a fit about it. Just ignore those people, and move on.

Also true.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

9HY53al.gif
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    conan.gif
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

I officially dub today's gif theme as pineapple, now someone else start it off, cause I can't gif from work. :grumble:

pineapple-o.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great info here. And a lot of great folks. And there are a few who believe their way is the only way. It helps to steer clear of them if you believe what you're doing is best for you.

Alas, there's also a lot of threadjacking and threadcrapping here, usually on similar threads day after day. Mods have a lot on their plate and usually just let that be.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: Majority of posts will be negative. Results checked after 50 posts.

OUTCOME: 14% POSITIVE COMMENTS
    68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for proving my point. And to all the positive posters, don't stop what you're doing. ;-)
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Yeah, well that's just like...your opinion man.

FALSE! My opinions are facts! :laugh:

tumblr_mky7pyMcBv1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    h46D6CFB7
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    pineapple-o.gif