Where does weight go?

Options

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Its the same place a fire goes when a fire goes out ...
  • firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You pee it out!
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, matter is always conserved. So, in my case, I have excess fat stored. Fat = matter. Fat/matter is converted to energy and "exits" through movement of muscles/heat from movement.

That's about as scientific as I can get! LOL.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It attaches itself to the @ss of your greatest enemy :laugh:

Seriously, it is used by our bodies for energy, so it is broken down.
  • Traciaq
    Traciaq Posts: 29
    Options
    I have wondered this to, Its kinda like when you crop an image in photoshop where do those pixels go, they don't go in the recycle bin they just vanish... so its kinda like I am cropping my *kitten* off!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Now I am curious. I have never really thought about it, was just glad to see it go.

my sentiment exactly...
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    It is lost as CO2 and H2O.

Basically, you breathe most of it out as a waste gas. Some of it leaves as water (not necessarily as urine).

You know, I did this STUPID breath-focused weight loss routine probably about 15 years ago or so and the idea behind it was that a certain kind of breathing pattern coupled with squeezing your muscles tight would "blow" the fat off your body through your exhalations. I couldn't stick with it (I had to do this ridiculous lion-face thing...come on, I can't have been the only one that fell for this one, right?) and decided it was all hooey. How interesting that there was a tiny shred of scientific reasoning behind it!

I'm sorry, but this made me spit water all over my lap. Breath-based weight loss? I thought I had heard all the ridiculous fat-loss fads.

Thank you for sharing!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Basically, you breathe most of it out as a waste gas. Some of it leaves as water (not necessarily as urine).

You know, I did this STUPID breath-focused weight loss routine probably about 15 years ago or so and the idea behind it was that a certain kind of breathing pattern coupled with squeezing your muscles tight would "blow" the fat off your body through your exhalations. I couldn't stick with it (I had to do this ridiculous lion-face thing...come on, I can't have been the only one that fell for this one, right?) and decided it was all hooey. How interesting that there was a tiny shred of scientific reasoning behind it!

I'm sorry, but this made me spit water all over my lap. Breath-based weight loss? I thought I had heard all the ridiculous fat-loss fads.

Thank you for sharing!

Well technically you do lose most of your mass through your breath however I doubt hyperventilating will do you any good as you only have so much CO2 to expel so breathing more or faster would just dilute the amount of CO2 you expel per breath.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It goes here :laugh:

Yourfatmakesthese_zpsacc8ef4b.jpg

The more you lose the cuter they get :heart:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I think from a quick calculation that you would probably expel something like 1 gram of weight for every inhale + exhale since you breath out more mass than you take in. You are essentially exchanging oxygen (inhale) for CO2 and H2O (exhale). There are of course a lot more components to air but they remain the same in exale and inhale, the ones that change concentration are O2, CO2 and H2O.

Although people probably point to excrement I'd bet that most of your mass is lost through your breath. Think it works out to losing about a pound or so per day from breathing.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism breaks down the stored fat cells into carbon dioxide (exhaled) and water (either absorbed and used or flushed out via urination or sweating), the energy from breaking the bonds in the fat molecules is used by your cells to do work or converted to heat energy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here is the equation of the oxidation of glucose:

Glucose + 6 O2 <=> 6 CO2 + 6 H2O

End result is CO2 and H20.

The CO2 is the result of the citric acid cycle.

One of my favorite biochem cycles EVER! Memorizing it for microbiology -- then teaching it to others -- was my favorite achievement in that class, back when I could describe in more detail what things like acetyl-CoA and guanosine triphosphate are!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Your metabolism breaks down the stored fat cells into carbon dioxide (exhaled) and water (either absorbed and used or flushed out via urination or sweating), the energy from breaking the bonds in the fat molecules is used by your cells to do work or converted to heat energy.

Pretty much this. Waste carbon leaves your body via the exhale of your breath. Waste nitrogen from protein breakdown leaves your body in the form of urea. The energy is either used to form chemical bonds or is expelled as waste heat.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing!

My apologies for the wet lap. I know, I know, I was a complete moron but this woman was like 60 and she had a rockin body! I found out later she had been a spokesperson for some in home exercise machine as well, despite claiming she had lost all her weight by "breathing."
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Hahaha I bought the video years ago! Probably burned lots of cals laughing tho
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hahaha I bought the video years ago! Probably burned lots of cals laughing tho

I think my husband burned more calories laughing at me than I did doing the exercises.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It's broken down and used for energy... basically, it becomes heat.

Waste products are excreted how they always are - exhalation (CO2), sweat, urine, feces.

It's actually E = mc^2, or in this case mass = E/c^2.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It attaches itself to the @ss of your greatest enemy :laugh:

EFF. YES!!!!!!!!!

My new motivation. Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :laugh: