Agree to Disagree and Move On...don't get hostile to posters

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: Majority of posts will be negative. Results checked after 50 posts.

OUTCOME: 14% POSITIVE COMMENTS
    68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for proving my point. And to all the positive posters, don't stop what you're doing. ;-)

"I simply asked people to be nice! By starting with 'check your attitude'."

Also, as a 54-year-old woman, shouldn't you know better? Shouldn't you have the self-respect to take ownership of your behavior? Shouldn't you be able to recognize where you have instigated the inflammatory nature of an incident?

I hope that you reflect on this debacle, and improve yourself.

I'd bet she doesn't (if this research paper is real). It'll probably reflect her in regards to how she went about pushing for a biased reaction with this thread.

Fictitious; this might as well be "internet standard behavior: flow chart number 57".
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    What the eyes cannot unsee...

Googling for a cheetah/pineapple pic....

I win don't I? :laugh:

No. Those are leopard spots, not cheetah spots.

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post--the" I know it all because I lost my weight" responders can be brutal-not impressed with leaving Certificate credentials or interested in getting advice from non professionals online but do appreciate the shared experience of those who had struggled to lose weight and keep it off is helpful to read--I -would not use MFP for anything other than encouragement and tracking calories--- seen these same peoples leave encouraging words and well wishes too--MFP is not a place for thin skinned though and just because you've been posting "for years " doesn't equate your a professional or entitled in some way to the site than a "newbie"
  • Bamboo678
    Bamboo678 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a thick skin, so I can take or leave what people say.

I think the warranty has run it's course. Might want to have that looked at for thin wear marks.

that's funny
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I agree with about 20% of the responses so far, so many people who are new to seriously knuckling down and getting fit and healthy focus solely on losing the weight , and losing it fast , and making the numbers shrink on the scale as quick as possible, that they get taken in by fads and particular mind sets about food , this countered with the DEEP DEEP fountains of misinformation the diet INDUSTRY has parrotted and continues to creat and continues to parrot , because well, lets face it misinformation and failed dieters means repeat business....

think about that for a second

the diet and diet product industry relies on you not succeeding...

so is it any wonder 2 shakes and a small meal a day does not last in the long run?
    of course not , because its unsustainable

if this business model existed in ANY other industry it would have been halted ages ago - even the television and print ads they are controlled by law thants to Medifast in the 90s to limit weight loss claims to 2 lbs a week...

but thats a different thread entirely ..

the issue is newbies come in here, and they have 1-3 posts , and we have no clue what they are or who they are, and what they do or dont know , and by no means do i claim to , but i know some , probobly more than some dieters starting out, certainly more than i knew 2 years ago about weight loss , and DEFIANTELy more than 10 years ago when i had my surgery , suffice to say if i knew then ... blah blah blah.. whatever...
    it gets frustrating , when this "youngun" comes in here guns blazing , help i cant eat chocolate and i want it so bad ...."
    and then 5 seconds later, HALLLPPP i cant stop myself from overeating and i crave chocolate.....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post--the" I know it all because I lost my weight" responders can be brutal-not impressed with leaving Certificate credentials or interested in getting advice from non professionals online but do appreciate the shared experience of those who had struggled to lose weight and keep it off is helpful to read--I -would not use MFP for anything other than encouragement and tracking calories--- seen these same peoples leave encouraging words and well wishes too--MFP is not a place for thin skinned though and just because you've been posting "for years " doesn't equate your a professional or entitled in some way to the site than a "newbie"

You misunderstand the nature of her complaint.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJHKvdkjbLhhtPFpW1aO70dF4AtQNDv49dsKPxzy-BqZ4d5gCHaq70afw
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

This is exactly how I felt when I realized the OP has hidden her post history.

I want to see the thread that started this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

It was probably for this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278093-heart-rate-monitor-advice?page=1
  • deksgrl
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278093-heart-rate-monitor-advice?page=1

Yes, the thread in which nobody was rude or hostile, merely questioning her source and then correcting misinformation.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

Yes, the thread in which nobody was rude or hostile, merely questioning her source and then correcting misinformation.

So in other words....Typical MFP. :laugh:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    As I said - I love gifs...

pineappledance.gif

Am I the only one mesmerized by this thing?!?!?!

No, I watched it for the duration of the dance-rock song that was playing on my iPod. For a few glorious moments, the beat perfectly matched the pineapple's dance and I couldn't look away.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

Ahhhh, thanks.
    I saw that thread when it was first posted and only OP had responded. I suspected it wasn't going to go well but never checked back (I also didn't see the further complication of the activity tracker/hrm mix up). Saying negative things about HRMs doesn't go over well here. I tend to voice my unpopular opinion on HRMs frequently, particularly their accuracy (I also don't think for average things like walking and running on MFP are as inaccurate as many here proclaim) but yeah, i don't see the rudeness or hostility. I am always expecting someone to disagree with me though, which is fine.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

Yes and makes new thread on the premise that "new people" are offended by all the rude and mean know-it-alls, when really she was the only one offended and she has been here 2 years.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Nooooo!!
    giphy.gif

It's what I've come to expect. Thanks for the link.

Nothing remotely rude in that thread.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    RESEARCH PROJECT: Post a comment on social media simply asking people to be nice in posts to others.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: Majority of posts will be negative. Results checked after 50 posts.

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

Thank you for proving my point. And to all the positive posters, don't stop what you're doing. ;-)

No.

You know how many times on this site alone I've seen someone's thread go awry and they later say they were doing research for a university assignment?

Please tell me what school you go to that is asking people out of the 7th grade for research into website forum posting patterns.

Your sample size is terrible and you poisoned the well with your initial post to begin with. If this is your idea of "research" you're terrible at it.

I'd have a little more respect for you if you could just be honest. Making up fake surveys to shame people is beyond pathetic.

Or I'm wrong and you just go to a really bad school.

Lolz.

This thread escalated quickly.

And it is hilarious.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Fry_Pineapple.gif
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

68% NEGATIVE COMMENTS
    18% INDETERMINATE

More like:

RESEARCH PROJECT: Post inflammatory statements telling people they're big meanies.
    SUSPECTED OUTCOME: People will call me out on my statements due to being hypocritical and negative.
    OUTCOME: People call BS and point out flaws in OP.

The only point that was proven was that when you throw a hissy fit, people will call you out on it.

When people make claims, they will be expected to to actually back up their "facts."

What actually happens: People make claims. When asked to support them, said people turn around and say everyone is being negative/mean/a bully.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've definitely observed some unnecessary rudeness on here. To be fair, I totally understand people getting frustrated and wanting to correct misinformation.

If you can do that without being rude, then go for it. Or, go ahead and be rude about it. It's very unattractive though. Just seems like if you can't say it nicely, why waste your time saying it? Just steer clear of a thread when it's clearly marked with a title that you know is going to piss you off.

I know, I know. It's the internet. It's your "right". But you kill more flies with honey. And if your purpose of the post isn't to genuinely help someone, then it seems your post serves another purpose - you seek attention, admiration, etc.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I've definitely observed some unnecessary rudeness on here. To be fair, I totally understand people getting frustrated and wanting to correct misinformation.

If you can do that without being rude, then go for it. Or, go ahead and be rude about it. It's very unattractive though. Just seems like if you can't say it nicely, why waste your time saying it? Just steer clear of a thread when it's clearly marked with a title that you know is going to piss you off.

I know, I know. It's the internet. It's your "right". But you kill more flies with honey. And if your purpose of the post isn't to genuinely help someone, then it seems your post serves another purpose - you seek attention, admiration, etc.

The point is..... NOBODY WAS RUDE TO HER. She perceived it was rude to be questioned on her statements. Nobody was actually rude, they were just being factual.