Can we talk for a minute about "Cauliflower Rice"

Options

Replies

• stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Stupid question time....how do you make cauliflower rice? It sounds amazing....
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower mash mmm :love:

I'll give the rice a whirl!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower really looking forward to trying new ways of prepping it thanks for the ideas all :flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything normal about wanting to pretend something isn't what it is, but hey that's just me.
    I like rice and call it rice.
    I like cauliflower and call it cauliflower.
    I haven't tried to create a dish from cauliflower in very small bits, but it sounds delicious. I definitely don't get why this would be called cauliflower rice, since there's no rice in it, so boring me would still call it cauliflower.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything normal about wanting to pretend something isn't what it is, but hey that's just me.
    I haven't tried to create a dish from cauliflower in very small bits, but it sounds delicious. I definitely don't get why this would be called cauliflower rice, since there's no rice in it, so boring me would still call it cauliflower.
    Do you know what the verb is for chopping a vegetable or other food into small bits?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really love cauliflower rice, too. I really don't get why people get all "ERMAHGERD, EAT ACTUAL RICE, NAWT CAWLIFLOWER!" about it. Like white rice is super flavorful and enjoyable? That's a big nope-nope. I think cauliflower rice has more flavor, better texture, and has a lot of fiber and nutrients. Not everyone has to love rice and potatoes, folks.

I like cauliflower more than rice. I've always eaten lots of it, but simply as cauliflower. What I don't get is why waste time trying to make it look like something else, also the texture of mashed cauliflower does not appeal. If you don't care about rice and potatoes, why would you try to mimic them?

I never ate fake meat either when I was eating vegetarian, so this just may be something I fundamentally don't get, so carry on eating what you like, of course. My guess is that the just eat rice thing comes from the way these dishes are described, as if they were subs for the others, rather than just, hey, cauliflower tastes good in a stir fry, which IMO it does.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food. I can only assume these same people lose their composure when someone brings a fruit pizza to a party - unless it's made with marinara sauce and traditional pizza crust I suppose.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food. I can only assume these same people lose their composure when someone brings a fruit pizza to a party - unless it's made with marinara sauce and traditional pizza crust I suppose.

Fruit pizza is awesome! So is seafood pizza with a honey-wheat crust and alfredo sauce. Also, I have never put marinara on my pizza. Marinara is for past, IMO. I use seasoned tomato paste for regular pizza.

You know what blows my mind though? People who don't eat pizza at all! None! Not even thin crust veggie with low-fat cheese. I don't get it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food.

Personally, I don't care at all what others call their food, and I imagine cauliflower might work well in a dish riced just as some people seem to like shredded carrots (I don't, who knows why not).

I'm more curious about the frequency with which cauliflower is promoted not for itself, but for it's ability to mimic other foods (foods that are then dismissed as not that great, so one wonders why they are being mimicked). It's totally normal to not like rice or think it's okay, no great shakes (like I said before, I prefer cauliflower), and similarly it's totally normal not to like meat or potatoes (even if I disagree), but then why create a fake version of these things? Why not just say that cauliflower (even mashed if you must) makes a better side dish than potatoes or some such? It's not a criticism, I just don't get it, so thought it would be interesting, and not some kind of insult, to discuss.

None of this relates specifically to the OP's post, which was more like "yum, I discovered this recipe I like!" vs. "rice can and should be replaced with cauliflower in all dishes," but this idea of cauliflower as a replacement is hardly uncommon, so I think it's interesting. With meat it kind of makes sense, as a lot of people don't eat meat despite liking it, for ethical reasons, so the same thing with rice and potatoes suggests that there's something wrong with rice and potatoes, so it leads to the questions.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Going to have to try this. It's been years since I did it.
    I also like turnips as faux mashed potatoes. I never make them because my husband won't eat them. I may have to start doing this stuff, making him a real starch and me a faux starch.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    going to try this,,,,,had the mash and it is good.....talk about passing judgement...dont post if it is negative
  • nurit1979
    nurit1979 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    who knew cauliflower rice could be so controversial?
  • nurit1979
    Options
    on another note..I made this curried cauliflower soup last night and it was amazing (having left overs for lunch today):
    http://paleogrubs.com/curried-cauliflower-soup-recipe
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat cauliflower if you like it, eat rice if you like it, and please don't ruin pizza crust

Why eat pizza when you could just eat cheese, flour, tomatoes, and eggs?

Get it now?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Lol, all these cauliflower "substitutes" are NOTHING like the real thing. Just call the **** cauliflower "bits" or "chunks". It's DEFINITELY not rice.
    And rice ain't evil. Ask the millions of Asians that eat it every day and don't have weight issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nurit1979
    Options
    And rice ain't evil. Ask the millions of Asians that eat it every day and don't have weight issues.

It is for me, because it is a trigger food for me, just like pasta and bread are. I personally find it much easier to control my portions when I'm eating something that doesn't taste QUITE as good as the real thing. That is my own issue that I deal with though.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Bump or In or whatever because of all these yummy recipes! I love cauliflower!

On another note, I'm pretty blown away as to why people care so much about what people call their food. I promise your life will go on just fine if people call it cauliflower rice...the world will not cease to exist!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    For me personally it's just about calling something that it's not. I wouldn't call a 1/4 squat a squat, or prancercising as strenuous exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

People do this all the time. I think it is very "normal" to eat foods that you like and to want to try them in new and interesting ways.

And "ricing" is a method of cutting food. You can "rice" a lot of things.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Blows my mind how people seem to care so much what other people call their food.

Personally, I don't care at all what others call their food, and I imagine cauliflower might work well in a dish riced just as some people seem to like shredded carrots (I don't, who knows why not).

I'm more curious about the frequency with which cauliflower is promoted not for itself, but for it's ability to mimic other foods (foods that are then dismissed as not that great, so one wonders why they are being mimicked). It's totally normal to not like rice or think it's okay, no great shakes (like I said before, I prefer cauliflower), and similarly it's totally normal not to like meat or potatoes (even if I disagree), but then why create a fake version of these things? Why not just say that cauliflower (even mashed if you must) makes a better side dish than potatoes or some such? It's not a criticism, I just don't get it, so thought it would be interesting, and not some kind of insult, to discuss.

None of this relates specifically to the OP's post, which was more like "yum, I discovered this recipe I like!" vs. "rice can and should be replaced with cauliflower in all dishes," but this idea of cauliflower as a replacement is hardly uncommon, so I think it's interesting. With meat it kind of makes sense, as a lot of people don't eat meat despite liking it, for ethical reasons, so the same thing with rice and potatoes suggests that there's something wrong with rice and potatoes, so it leads to the questions.

There isn't anything wrong with rice and potatoes, but there are many people who either must, or choose to, eat a diet low in carbohydrates. For those people (myself included), it can be fun to find new ways to eat foods that we love by swapping out higher carb options for lower carb options.

The OP is not saying that rice is evil, or that no one should eat it. She was sharing a new idea that she tried and enjoyed. I don't get why it generated so many heated responses from people who are offended by calling riced cauliflower "cauliflower rice". Do they work for Uncle Ben's?