Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    bought some frozen broccoli and cauliflower. 500g or 1lb worth. Apparently 7 serves.

Me: 1 serve

tikka wrap kits. Serves 8.

me: 1 serve
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Any icecream. The serving size is always like...1/2 cup...uhhh ok, I'm eating half the tub so screw that.

I think the Ben and Jerry's containers are the perfect serving size. Sadly, that is all my calories for the day.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    PASTA! pisses me off, 85grams or 56 grams is an ant on the plate, BAH I just stay away from it, there's not point, well actually I now found the whole wheat yolk free egg noodles, I can have 2.5 cups.

You beat me to it! I was about to say how come nobody mentioned that? 56 grams (2 oz) of cooked pasta is just sad.. I need to have 4 times that quantity to consider it a meal.

The 2 oz for a pasta serving is the uncooked weight.

Tell that to my pasta maker who lists uncooked serving size at 10 grams (less than half an oz) :/

If you look on a 16oz box of dried pasta, there are 8 servings in a box.....therefore a serving is 2oz dry. Not sure why your pasta maker lists what it does.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    PASTA! pisses me off, 85grams or 56 grams is an ant on the plate, BAH I just stay away from it, there's not point, well actually I now found the whole wheat yolk free egg noodles, I can have 2.5 cups.

You beat me to it! I was about to say how come nobody mentioned that? 56 grams (2 oz) of cooked pasta is just sad.. I need to have 4 times that quantity to consider it a meal.

eff I know! the other day I had some , my mfp calc was wrong, but I thought yaaaaaaaaaay, I dunno what I was looking at, anyways, I filled up the bowl, walked by my husband , he giggles and says oh cheat day, I proudly respond nope MFP says its ok, all the while my gut was telling me rose its not right, yaya its ok, I went to check and FWOOF was I off LOLOL more then half had to go back :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Pasta measurement is done pre-cooking, not after. 2oz of spaghetti is actually a pretty decent amount. (About 1 cup cooked.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

eff I know! the other day I had some , my mfp calc was wrong, but I thought yaaaaaaaaaay, I dunno what I was looking at, anyways, I filled up the bowl, walked by my husband , he giggles and says oh cheat day, I proudly respond nope MFP says its ok, all the while my gut was telling me rose its not right, yaya its ok, I went to check and FWOOF was I off LOLOL more then half had to go back :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Pasta measurement is done pre-cooking, not after. 2oz of spaghetti is actually a pretty decent amount. (About 1 cup cooked.)

LIES. As a side... maybe. But it's tiny.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

If I were eating just the pasta, it wouldn't be enough, but I usually eat it with a big salad and a section of French bread. LOL
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

If I were eating just the pasta, it wouldn't be enough, but I usually eat it with a big salad and a section of French bread. LOL

The 2 oz is usually plenty for me but I've been dropping that to 1 oz and then julienne zucchini and add it to my pasta after it's cooked. It adds to the serving size, doesn't change the flavor, the texture works for me and I have my spaghetti at half the pasta calories.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lives alone. She is normal weight. Once we were in the grocery store together and she mentioned that she figures whatever the package contains is one serving, because she is going to eat the whole thing, eventually! I couldn't argue with that logic.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Any icecream. The serving size is always like...1/2 cup...uhhh ok, I'm eating half the tub so screw that.

Oh yes, I have tried and I have tried but a 1/2 cup I just cant do it. I end up 1/2 cupping the 1/2 gallon gone.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'd much prefer nutrition information to include the entire package (no matter how large or small) to cut down on the trans fat and calorie loop holes manufacturers exploit. And then include a standard 100g weight measurement for the serving size of everything. Any changes other than those seem pointless to me.

And on topic, 3/4 of a dill pickle spear. Am I supposed to chop off the end and have little pickle bits floating in the jar? Of course the serving size is to make them "zero" calories and reduce the sodium.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'd much prefer nutrition information to include the entire package (no matter how large or small) to cut down on the trans fat and calorie loop holes manufacturers exploit. And then include a standard 100g weight measurement for the serving size of everything. Any changes other than those seem pointless to me.

And on topic, 3/4 of a dill pickle spear. Am I supposed to chop off the end and have little pickle bits floating in the jar? Of course the serving size is to make them "zero" calories and reduce the sodium.

We actually usually have a double table with two columns, one with the serving size info and the other with the 100 g info. I would still like to see the packages that are eaten or drunk in one setting be counted as one serving size though.
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the huge hype over oreos?! They taste yuck!

THANK YOU!! This girl speaks the truth.
  • Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    1 TBSP of Ranch Dressing and 2TBSP of Peanut Butter. It just isn't enough..oh yes and 12 oyster crackers. I honestly don't want to sit and count oyster crackers, so I eyeball it, grab a handful and enjoy my soup.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I bought a 23g bag of popcorn that advertised less than 100kcal per serving, but then advised that one serving = 20g... Not sure what you're meant to do with the 3 spare grams!
  • Francl27
    Options

THIS. Heck they should get rid of the cup nonsense for solids too.

I can't even figure out the calories when I use 1/4 cup of splenda because of that 0 calories BS.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    25g of CC's is not a serving. It is not even a taste of the corn chips. For 125 cals,

There is NO WAY there is 8 servings of corn chips in a 200g bag. One bag 1000 cals.
  • Francl27
    Options
    A lot of meats at Wegmans don't make sense.

Like, the burgers - a serving is 4oz raw or 3oz cooked. But the calories go from 160 to 130. Same with some of their sausages apparently... a link magically loses calories when it's cooked.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    A lot of meats at Wegmans don't make sense.

Like, the burgers - a serving is 4oz raw or 3oz cooked. But the calories go from 160 to 130. Same with some of their sausages apparently... a link magically loses calories when it's cooked.

Fat/grease drains off. It makes sense for something to lose calories when it's cooked if it's allowed to drain/drip.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I was making lunch today, I realised that Heinz give the information for HALF a can of soup.... Am I the only one that thinks half a can isn't enough? Especially when it's the '68cals per half can' chicken noodle that I had today :huh:
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    CEREAL BLOODY CEREAL WHEN I HAVE A BOWL IT'S FREAKING 120 GRAMS SCREW THAT 30 GRAM SERVING SUGGESTION

also oven chips (fries) a serving is four/five! who eats just four chips with their meal, what the absolute hell