Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bit of a gross-factor thing, but if you look at what's in milk (... pus) it can be rather nice to switch to non-dairy alternatives.

There is no pus in milk. All commercially sold milk is heavily tested and if any sample doesn't meet those standards, the whole tank is discarded.

I am inclined to agree. I grew up on a dairy farm. the milk is tested and if anything is found to be contaminated (a cow may have had a mild infection, etc...) the whole tank is drained. period. i remember it well, because when that happened...it would be a very meager week for us.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The almond milk I have at home has added calcium. But actually, I have both cows milk and almond milk at home. Who said anyone has to choose? xD

me too. I use almond milk with my protein drink, and 2% milk with my cereal.
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To the OP - "healthy" is relative. It really depends on what your goals are and what is important to you. I would say that both cows milk and almond milk are healthy, but are very different from a nutrients standpoint. Almond milk (unsweetened) is very low in calories and just has a little bit of fat - that just so happens to be a "healthy" fat. Cows milk has a little of everything - carbs, protein, and fat - and is essentially a meal replacement (that is what it is designed to be if you think about it).

So, if your goal is to save calories, drink almond milk. If you are trying to get nutrients from your milk, drink cows milk. They are both perfectly fine for different things. I drink both.

I think this is the best way to look at it! It all depends on your goals. I just switched to soy/almond milk about a week ago. I don't like it as much as I like the taste of cow's milk, but I didn't buy it for the purpose of chugging down plain glasses of it. I bought it to go in my cereal and as a replacement for the milk I brew my tea in or add a splash of to my tea. I'm pretty stoked that I can now enjoy a chai latte for 85 calories with my almond milk, or 105 calories with my soy milk. Yes, it's lacking in protein, but I get that from other (lower calorie) sources. I did see some soy milk out there with added protein and fiber, but skipped out on it because of the higher calorie count (I think it was still no more than 90 calories).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like both, and not testifying about the health factors...but we buy almond milk more often because it has fewer calories and seems to last longer in our household.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    For me it has to be an animal milk, cow, goat, sheep for some cheeses, because this is natural though we are the only adult animal which is adapted to use milk in their diet.

I am salicylate sensitive. Salicylate is many plants method of protecting itself from moulds and mildews. It is toxic to us and like me many can't use aspirin, eat foods or use perfumes etc with it in. For this reason I would throw almond milk because almonds are very very high in slicylate.

You pays your penny and takes your choice. Please know facts.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the milk of any other animal :noway:

Almond, rice, soy or quinoa milk for this gal :drinker:
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Almond for me :-)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Ostrich Milk is the healthiest you can get
  • Juliemarino
    Juliemarino Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bit of a gross-factor thing, but if you look at what's in milk (... pus) it can be rather nice to switch to non-dairy alternatives.

This is 100% true, but people don't want to know about it lol. I personally won't drink breast milk from an animal. Plant based milks are a healthier option overall.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I prefer cows milk for the high protein content, which you won't get from milk substitutes. But if you're meeting your protein goals elsewhere then use whichever milk you enjoy most.

This
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Humans weren't ment to consume dairy after a certain age or from another animal. So cutting it out will solve some other issues you probably didn't notice before (like skin issues or digestive issues). So I would stick with almond milk, or any other options like coconut and rice :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

That said, almond milk is an acquired taste (still trying to like it) and soy milk increases mucus production and all kinds of nonsense like that.

The best I've found is chocolate hazelnut milk. But also probably normal hazelnut milk is good too.

Pus: a protein-rich fluid called liquor puris, usually whitish-yellow, yellow, or yellow brown in color. Pus consists of a buildup of dead leukocytes (white blood cells) from the body's immune system in response to infection.

So it's protein and dead cells.

I'm already an omnivore that eats... dead muscle tissue cells, organ meat and bone marrow. Just because the word pus has a negative connotation, doesn't mean it's harmful. It's not really gross if you use rational thinking. Besides, there are lots of brands that don't use that particular antibiotic that causes the formation of occasional and temporary inflammation in the udders of dairy cows just in case you still can't wrap your mind around the fact that we (humans in general) eat dead things all the time.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Humans weren't ment to consume dairy after a certain age or from another animal. So cutting it out will solve some other issues you probably didn't notice before (like skin issues or digestive issues). So I would stick with almond milk, or any other options like coconut and rice :)

If you're going to use that rational, then humans were less meant to consume almond milk since it has to be highly processed in order to even consume the "milk" of a nut.

Humans with the enzyme lactase are meant to continue to consume milk after a certain age because the bodies of those genetic lines retained the ability. It's an evolutionary adaptation that allowed that group to better survive the environment they lived in.

If you don't want to drink it, don't but don't try to manipulate people who can with terrible rationale.
  • melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I also wondered if you can get the same amount of calcium, as I am allergic to cows milk but really need to boost calcium, don't trust soya milk and eating too much cheese is why I am on his site in the first place.

We went through making sure my daughter had enough calcium b/c she had a dairy allergy upon birth. We used soy milk at the time, but i wish I had been better educated and I would have just tried to have a good variety of different milk alternatives. I currently use almond milk, and just suggest you take a supplement to make sure you get your calcium since it can be hard to do with food alone. While reading up on diary allergy, I found a statement that made a profound impact on the way I view dairy. It basically said that humans are the only animal who drink the milk of another animal (obviously, we have all read the cute little stories where a dog nursed a cat or some other animal, but humans choose to do this on a regular basis). So, I feel like we aren't really made/designed to digest cow's milk. Anyway, that part is my little soap box on why I don't really like having a lot of cow's milk in my diet. Good luck to you in finding alternatives, I know how difficult it can be!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Naw.

Really, it depends on many factors: has it been a long time? Have I been drinking? Am I stressed? What is being used to make this happen?

When conditions are perfect, maybe like 2 - 3 minutes tops.
    Less than perfect conditions? Well, call me a quitter, but I give up after 10 - 15 minutes.

4UR7LwT.gif
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    why is it called almond milk and not almond juice? do almond trees have teets?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

HUH?

I think it is safe to say there is no pus in commercial cows milk - certainly not in developed countries with high food safety standards.

The US adopted new, more stringent standards for commercial cow's milk in 2012. These standards are:

- The maximum somatic cell count in raw cow’s milk for the production of heat-treated milk, milk
    products and other milk-based products is 400,000 somatic cells per ml.
    - The maximum bacterial standard plate count for raw cow’s milk for the production of heat-treated
    milk, milk products and other milk-based products is 100,000 bacteria per ml.

Somatic cells = pus, in short. In long, they're used to determine the prevalence of pathogenic bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus. State laws can dictate more stringent maximum somatic cell counts, but many states were above the new standards before 2011. Here is the USDA industry notice for your reference:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRD3636640