why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, goody. A Planet Fitness thread!

kayla-drama.gif
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do not like PF because it doesn't really mesh with my personal goals. Sure it's cheap but I do not find it to be a challenging atmosphere that encourages actual success.
  • mysecretself
    Options
    because this is MFP and someone will always have something bad to say about anything - honestly
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    They are really good about getting themselves in the news for kicking people out. Their dress code and how it is enforced is ridiculous. They claim to be a "judgment free zone" but that only applies to the people they actually want at their non gym. Honestly, their business model sucks.

Actually, it doesn't suck. They get all sorts of attention from the folks on MFP because of that business model. And at $10 per month, the price is right for a lot of people.

As for pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls, so what? I have yet to see them forcing anyone to eat any of those things. After a good hard workout, I love me some pizza. Though I won't eat the stuff they serve at PF, only because I have seen people go right from working out to grabbing a piece (and touching the piece next to it) without washing their hands and I find that pretty gross.
    they seem to suck for people who do Olympic style heavy lifts, which are ideal for basically every goal you could have that could be acheived in the gym (best for strength gains, weight loss, muscle mass increase), but if your routine matches their equipment it would be fine

the pizza and bagels just seem a little odd for a company that is promoting healthy living and fitness. not that pizza or bagels should be off limits for anyone trying to get in shape (i sure as hell still love me some za), but you would think they would have complimentary fruit or something instead
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    because this is MFP and someone will always have something bad to say about anything - honestly

Actually, if their marketing strategy was different there probably wouldn't be much of an issue with it. It wouldn't be much different than many other 24/7 facilities.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Actually, if their marketing strategy was different there probably wouldn't be much of an issue with it. It wouldn't be much different than many other 24/7 facilities.

This.

I take issue when I'm insulted and called stupid, a lunk, bulky, etc because I'm stronger than someone else.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Not only do they not allow heavy lifting but they actively discourage it through name calling and loud annoying alarms.

I would not like it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Not only do they not allow heavy lifting but they actively discourage it through name calling and loud annoying alarms.

I would not like it.

i'm as big a hater as the next guy, but there is no one preventing you from lifting above a certain weight.

some lifts can't be done for a number of reasons, but of the lifts available you can lift as much as you can.

unless your talking about dumbbells...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I would not like it.

i'm as big a hater as the next guy, but there is no one preventing you from lifting above a certain weight.

some lifts can't be done for a number of reasons, but of the lifts available you can lift as much as you can.

unless your talking about dumbbells...
    ive heard stories where people where told to leave because they were lifting too heavy. theres no reason someone cant perform a 5 plate deadlift safely provided they have the necessary strength but PF decided that they dont want those shenanigans in their "gym"
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

... and an act of Congress to cancel your membership.

:laugh::laugh:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Well now that I've read about it, I'm thinking pizza grease on the treadmills might be a hazard worth avoiding.
  • pbobbitt
    pbobbitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you and do it. Most importantly, don't worry about what other people think. I do belong to a PF, I don't eat the pizza or the bagels, the people are very helpful and friendly, and the gym has up to date equipment. As long as you are active and happy it doesn't matter where you work out as long as you work out.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I belong - they just opened one within 12 blocks of my house. It's cheap, it's clean, the people are nice and it serves my purposes and that is all that matters.

I hate when people on here say "join a real gym" If it works for you - then you do it. If not - then find somewhere else.

I can't afford to join a "big" gym right now - that $49 month plus initiation fee is out of my league - and I'm not ready for all the Heavy weights yet anyway.

I can meet with a trainer for FREE as part of my $10 a month. By paying that $10 a month and using their facility, I actually am working out - which is more than I could say about what I was accomplishing at home.

Yes there are tootsie rolls on the counter - and I have yet to eat one. I just call out my number as I walk by the counter and keep going. I carry a water bottle with me - everyone does - just not a gallon jug! LOL I've seen tank tops, etc. Still haven't seen Pizza - but if it's there it apparently isn't while I am.

Now if I wanted to lift heavy - I don't know that they have what I exactly need - not sure, cause I don't go over to the free weight section much yet. Still learning my way around. However, I get in my cardio - 20 minutes on the elliptical and I do the ab circuit or the 30 minute express circuit or wander around the weight machines and do my own thing. Yesterday I finally made it over to the rack/machine that I can do squats on. Thursday I meet with the trainer and I'll learn how to use some of the other stuff. (oh and a few of the guys I've seen there - definitely lift some heavy stuff and are built like 'lunks' - but they are super nice and have helped me out)

Different locations have different equipment I am learning - some are older, some newer. It is what it is - for $10 a month - what do you want. No one place is perfect for everyone. Make the best out of your situation - and do what is best for you. I promise not to knock you for it.
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you like it then Great!!
    Ppl will hate, but PF keeps making $$$ regardless.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My health insurance company reimburses my gym costs, but only at the YMCA and Planet Fitness. The YMCA is crowded and small and not open 24 hours, so we chose Planet Fitness. Eventually I'm planning on moving away from the gym and getting my own power rack and barbells, but until we're legally allowed to kick out the children, we don't have the space. :laugh:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I belong - they just opened one within 12 blocks of my house. It's cheap, it's clean, the people are nice and it serves my purposes and that is all that matters.

I hate when people on here say "join a real gym" If it works for you - then you do it. If not - then find somewhere else.

I can't afford to join a "big" gym right now - that $49 month plus initiation fee is out of my league - and I'm not ready for all the Heavy weights yet anyway.

I can meet with a trainer for FREE as part of my $10 a month. By paying that $10 a month and using their facility, I actually am working out - which is more than I could say about what I was accomplishing at home.

Yes there are tootsie rolls on the counter - and I have yet to eat one. I just call out my number as I walk by the counter and keep going. I carry a water bottle with me - everyone does - just not a gallon jug! LOL I've seen tank tops, etc. Still haven't seen Pizza - but if it's there it apparently isn't while I am.

Now if I wanted to lift heavy - I don't know that they have what I exactly need - not sure, cause I don't go over to the free weight section much yet. Still learning my way around. However, I get in my cardio - 20 minutes on the elliptical and I do the ab circuit or the 30 minute express circuit or wander around the weight machines and do my own thing. Yesterday I finally made it over to the rack/machine that I can do squats on. Thursday I meet with the trainer and I'll learn how to use some of the other stuff. (oh and a few of the guys I've seen there - definitely lift some heavy stuff and are built like 'lunks' - but they are super nice and have helped me out)

Different locations have different equipment I am learning - some are older, some newer. It is what it is - for $10 a month - what do you want. No one place is perfect for everyone. Make the best out of your situation - and do what is best for you. I promise not to knock you for it.

I see very few that say "join a real gym", if it works for you, great!. But, I'm going to leave this here again...

Per the usual response....

If they didn't caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person (lunk) all while advertising a judgement free zone, they'd catch far less hell here, but from what I can tell that's what they want.

Telling people they don't belong so they join their "judgement free" zone when in all actuality they are probably the most judgmental gym around.

EDIT: The bolded portion isn't exclusive to PF. The dumb stupid looking guys at most gyms are super nice an will always look to help if you ask.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I see very few that say "join a real gym", if it works for you, great!. But, I'm going to leave this here again...

Per the usual response....

If they didn't caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid

Actually - I've seen that response more than once when someone has asked for advice and mentions that is where they go. Like that is a helpful response. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got.
  • daubna08
    daubna08 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and can actually understand some people's frustration. My boyfriend doesn't like going there at all. But it works well for me, the weights are within my range, they have a lot of cardio machines and I just avoid the days with pizza and bagels.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness had a good marketing strategy to begin with: a gym for people who don't want to feel like they need to get in shape before they ever work out. They want people to feel comfortable coming in and working out, not demoralized by gym rats who have 'unattainable' bodies.

Planet Fitness took a wrong turn by shaming people who are in excellent shape. Another wrong turn is serving pizza and bagels. The latter seems to be a way to make lifelong customers.