Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• melissa_tn
    melissa_tn Posts: 37
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done? I'm sure those of you with thousands of posts have discussed milk alternatives to death, but if the point of this site is to encourage others in their lifestyle change then why isn't there more patience for those new to their journey?
  • CocoaBeautiful
    CocoaBeautiful Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am grossed out by cows milk so I like almond milk but do what's best for you!
  • CocoaBeautiful
    CocoaBeautiful Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Almond milk was not intended for human consumption and is unnatural. I cannot fathom stealing food from baby almonds.

LOL
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done? I'm sure those of you with thousands of posts have discussed milk alternatives to death, but if the point of this site is to encourage others in their lifestyle change then why isn't there more patience for those new to their journey?

Because I won't stand for people spreading un-truths about agriculture, especially the dairy industry, which is so often misrepresented on MFP.
  • ashesarmstrong
    ashesarmstrong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the hormones? Anyone ever wonder why our children are so much bigger than they were 100 years ago?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the hormones? Anyone ever wonder why our children are so much bigger than they were 100 years ago?

Better nutrition and a more sedentary lifestyle? Naw. Must be the whoremones . . .
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Some people encouraged the OP to not drink bovine milk for illogical reasons. Those reasons were rebutted. The OP has received a lot of good feedback, both pro and anti both milks. He has been aided in his 'journey'. Well, except by you who said absolutely nothing about the topic.
  • PhoenixRising878
    Options
    There's no cholesterol or saturated fat in skim milk and you still get the protein benefits.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Adequate calories for everyone is one thing, and it's pretty easy to get good enough nutrition even from poor food choices in the US
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/expertnutritionqa/fl/Growth-Hormones-in-Milk.htm

While claims that growth hormones in milk are linked to early puberty (precocious puberty) in children seems to be a common worry of some parents, many studies have now debunked that theory. Research now points to a rise in child obesity as a possible cause for some kids starting puberty at earlier ages.

Why blame growth hormones in milk? It was likely an easy thing to blame, as milk from rBST treated cows hit the market in the mid-1990s. That was shortly before some of the first studies showed that some kids were starting puberty a little earlier than they used to.

One problem with the theory is that growth hormone is not a steroid hormone like estrogen. It is a protein hormone that is mostly destroyed by pasteurization and digestion. Even kids who get daily injections of human growth hormone for short stature and other medical conditions don't start puberty early.

ETA: The agument that kids are bigger than 100 years ago isn't even why people have problems with hormones in milk today. It was suggested that it caused early puberty. I'd argue that children are bigger now than they used to be because proper nutrition is much easier to come by than it used to be.
  • melissa_tn
    Options

Because I won't stand for people spreading un-truths about agriculture, especially the dairy industry, which is so often misrepresented on MFP.

Why not let the OP decide what advice to take to heart? If people don't do their own research, that is on them. You or the person you are rebutting would not be my deciding factor in my own health decisions. There will always be differing opinions of whether the things we eat are clean/healthy. It doesn't seem helpful to the OP to have to weed through the snarky comments to get to the one's trying to address her post. Clearly, I'm very new to posting, I just find the tone to every post takes a nose dive and I don't get it.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    cows milk tastes disgusting...almond ....
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    why is it called almond milk and not almond juice? do almond trees have teets?
    I agree, and what's up with this peanut "butter" bull****? Call it what it is, peanut paste.
    Goo of sadness would also be acceptable.
    It's totally *NOT* juice.

How about "almond drink?" (like "orange drink" isn't "juice")
    How about amygdalate?
  • melissa_tn
    Options

Some people encouraged the OP to not drink bovine milk for illogical reasons. Those reasons were rebutted. The OP has received a lot of good feedback, both pro and anti both milks. He has been aided in his 'journey'. Well, except by you who said absolutely nothing about the topic.

And you demonstrated my point perfectly. I actually did give feedback, but thank you for playing... And it may sound illogical to you, but is not up to you to decide what other people decide for themselves.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bit of a gross-factor thing, but if you look at what's in milk (... pus) it can be rather nice to switch to non-dairy alternatives.

HUH?

PETA propaganda & promoted by quacks like Dr Mercola.......
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

^This.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

And you demonstrated my point perfectly. I actually did give feedback, but thank you for playing... And it may sound illogical to you, but is not up to you to decide what other people decide for themselves.

Oh, so you're just upset that someone gave a rebuttal to your advice. I understand now. I enjoyed playing.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I ONLY drink almond milk, but that is mainly due to cow milk making me sick. But, that said, I prefer almond milk anyway because it taste better, less calories and in *my* opinion, is healthier than hormone induced cow milk....
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I buy both. I use almond milk in my smoothies and oatmeal. I use non fat milk in everything else
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Why not let the OP decide what advice to take to heart? If people don't do their own research, that is on them. You or the person you are rebutting would not be my deciding factor in my own health decisions. There will always be differing opinions of whether the things we eat are clean/healthy. It doesn't seem helpful to the OP to have to weed through the snarky comments to get to the one's trying to address her post. Clearly, I'm very new to posting, I just find the tone to every post takes a nose dive and I don't get it.

Apparently this is the OP's version of research, and you are not them. So maybe words spoken here will be her deciding factor. It seems she's already decided to drink cows' milk anyway.

You missed the point though. If somebody is going to come on here and make ridiculous claims based on some propoganda they read on facebook (or something similar) without using critical thinking, of course they're going to be met with snark. I personally have not been snarky, but yeah it bothers me when someone classifies a whole industry as immoral and unnatural based on things that aren't true.

I don't care what people drink or why they choose to drink almond milk or cows' milk. But if someone is going to make a claim, they better have their facts straight.