Runner with a serious sugar addiction

1234568»

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Hello, I can completely identify with you. I'm a PT and train quite heavily including lots of cardio, also done long distance running in the past. Teach spinning blah blah. However I AM addicted to simple sugars, the not so good ones. I've gained weight from bingeing in the the last year despite all the exercise. I know a lot about addiction as have been in recovery from alcohol for 20 years(yay). Unfortunately processed foods contain lots of sugar in varying forms. For me this is the only way , HOWEVER the cravings are the worst, unlike some addictions, food is everywhere. I have a diploma in nutrition, but it doesn't stop me craving. If only!!!! I've gone for long periods with no processed foods including being totally simple sugar free and yes I lost all my extra fat. Life IS not always that simple though and being caught up in this chocolate, cookie, and all things sugary is hell when it causes so much weight gain. Some Saints of course can get along just fine without it, I'm not in that high deity just yet but aiming to get there. AGAIN. Some of us need more support eliminating these things. I do , that's why all my glorious qualifications don't make me good at being perfect. Please don't tell me I'm a failure...... Or am I???? Hope you get it sorted ????????????????????????????????
    Sugar isn't an addiction. Can you moderately drink alcohol and not submit to being an alcoholic again?
    Sugar is highly palatable. That's why it's hard for many to give up. Since the body operates on sugars (even abstaining from them completely, the body still converts protein and fat to glucose), one "moderately" has "sugar" in their body pretty much all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Yeah, and all those moral judgments about food probably aren't doing her clients any good either.

I :heart: my trainer's email signature, which succinctly sums up why he and I are a perfect fit: "PS I like to deadlift and eat"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    I treat sugar like an addictive substance and it is the only way I've managed to reduce cravings. I'm almost certain I will be able to enjoy sugar/fat like a normal person very soon. I simply don't need as much as I used to.

And yes, we need sugar to live. We do not need chocolate to live, or cake, or cookies or bon bons. So no, "needing sugar to live" is not a good defense to continue eating sweets. Some people can moderate their sweets intake like they might with wine. Others can't, and should not be encouraged to eat them if they have a problem with it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I treat sugar like an addictive substance and it is the only way I've managed to reduce cravings. I'm almost certain I will be able to enjoy sugar/fat like a normal person very soon. I simply don't need as much as I used to.

And yes, we need sugar to live. We do not need chocolate to live, or cake, or cookies or bon bons. So no, "needing sugar to live" is not a good defense to continue eating sweets. Some people can moderate their sweets intake like they might with wine. Others can't, and should not be encouraged to eat them if they have a problem with it.

Life without chocolate is not a life worth living.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member

Who is advocating a life without chocolate? Not me.

That is why I ordered chocolate from Finland that is $18 per bar and won't arrive for a month. Quality > quantity.

Since my cravings have reduced substantially, I won't eat all 200 grams in one day like I used to.

What I am saying is this: taking a month of chocolate isn't the end of the world.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Who is advocating a life without chocolate? Not me.

That is why I ordered chocolate from Finland that is $18 per bar and won't arrive for a month. Quality > quantity.

Since my cravings have reduced substantially, I won't eat all 200 grams in one day like I used to.

What I am saying is this: taking a month of chocolate isn't the end of the world.

We do not need chocolate to live

What would be the point of not eating it for just one month? That makes no sense. It sounds like a sucky month to me.