Goal reached. Family horrified.

Options

Replies

• katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous. You are happy, healthy, in a medically recommended weight range, and after looking at your "after" photo, you look perfectly healthy to me. I respect the education and experience your family members have, period. I think they may be letting emotions influence tier reaction to your altered appearance. If you've been overweight for a long time, they are used to seeing you like that and THEY may need tome to adjust. The wording of your sisters response "ew" is also indicative of an emotional response.

Stand up for yourself and the hard work you've done to improve your health, your life, and your future. You worked very hard for this. Your are healthy and probably feel better than you have in years. Enjoy it and don't let others spoil your success. Congratulations on reaching your goal!!!
  • dawnawoodward
    dawnawoodward Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. After first reading what you had to say I was thinking OMG she must look like a skelton. But you don't. It is hard when family say's stuff like that but ignore it. If you are happy that is all that matters. I moved from the state of Indiana to the state of Pa 5 years ago. Now I dont have to deal with those issues :) Good Luck !
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First of all - you look fantastic! I heard the same thing from my family. When I sent a selfie to them they asked was I sick because I looked so bad. Went to a conference and everyone was looking at me the same way - as if something was wrong with me. After a while I was asking myself the same thing. What I finally figured out is that people are used to seeing you a certain way and some people are going to complain whether you are too big or what they consider too small. They may never be satisfied (and as someone told me some folks are just plain jealous). How do you feel? You look great. Unless the doctor has told you something is wrong with you don't listen to negative people - do you!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That is horrible....I think you look great!
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. I'm so sorry your family said those things. Any doctor would tell you that you are at an ideal weight, being as you are in the middle of the normal weight range, so if they ever say anything again, just say "My doctor says this a good weight for me."
  • vonvera
    vonvera Posts: 3
    Options
    Girl, you look great! Don't sweat it. You walk your own path and dance to your own beat.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think you look fantastic!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing -- great job. If you're skypeing, then they may not have seen the gradual changes and just need to get used to the new you.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    First of all - you look good. Your face is not sagging and there are no wrinkles. The bottom-line is it is about good health. Your family is not use to seeing you thin so it doesn't look right to them.

I am sure all families talk about each other but for them to say those things to your face that is a bit much. No body likes it when they know that they are being talked about no matter who the messenger is. Do what is best for you! :smile:
  • jenni112877
    Options
    mean. jerks. not supportive. YOU LOOK GREAT!!
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!! Don't let them talk you into thinking you don't!
    You look healthy and not at all too thin. Let them get used to it, they will come around.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You are perfect. Tell them to stuff their fears up their jumper.

couldn't have said it better. you look fabulous! don't listen to them.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Your family is high.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You look great. You're healthy and fit, and you're not too thin by any means. I think you're just right. Don't listen to them. It's YOUR body. Your opinion and happiness with it is the only one that matters.
  • Cburton1123
    Cburton1123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. They're crazy. You look fantastic. Don't listen to them. How sad is it that families often are the biggest roadblock in a journey to being healthy and fit. Ignore them the best you can. It's hard when the ones who are supposed to love and support you hurt your feelings. Keep it up because you look awesome!
  • mich0821
    mich0821 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Before I even read your post, I looked at your photos. My very first thought was, "WOW! She looks GREAT!!" I didn't think you were too thin, I thought you have a perfect body!! They will get use to the knew you!! Give them time! BTW...the face photos you have posted....you were beautiful then, and even more beautiful now!
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take this with a grain of salt, because I'm a strange man on the internet ...

But, wtf is wrong with your family? You look amazing! Seriously. And not in a "We're all beautiful, yeah!" way. You legit look fantastic.

That said, please, for the love of all that is holy to you, never take the opinion of someone that says "Your face, ew!!" seriously. Because family or not, that person is an *kitten*.
  • tcbs99
    tcbs99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You look great to me. I had the same thing happen to me when I lost about 70 lbs before. But as I was gaining the weight back, not because of what was said, no one said a word. As long as you look and feel good, your good. I can't wait to hear those beautiful words, your to thin.
  • tamyronline1
    Options
    I think you look great. Your body is so much more toned and your face is not "EW" as your family says. I think they have their own issues and usually the people closest to us can be the meanest. I get rude comments from my mother all the time. I used to let it affect me, but not anymore because I know that I just want to be healthy. It's your life, you live it the way you want. If you were heading a bad road, then sure family could chime in, but you're not. So to answer your question.. you're not the one with issues. You look great and you're healthy. As long as you're happy that's all that matters. Great job btw! :happy:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    They're deranged. Have faith in yourself, you haven't worked this hard just to ruin it all to suit others' expectations.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!