Goal reached. Family horrified.

Options

Replies

• Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. Well done :) Being polite about your family, they are just not used to the new you. If they had seen you every day while you were shaping up, nothing would have been said. You look so Happy and Healthy. Stay as you are going. :flowerforyou:
    Oh and my Mam's favourite saying (F**k the begrudgers)
    Yes!! Spot on Mam!!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you - to make you feel healthier and happier.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced this reaction is psychological driven because I still get it from time to time. You look great, you look at a normal weight. In no way too skinny. I would bet my paycheck that if you came to your dad's with a friend who was the exact body type and weight as you it would not even enter his mind that she would need to put on 15 lbs.

Psychologically they can't let go of the old version of you in their mind so still compare your current you to that version of you.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've learned through my weight loss that family can be some of the crudest people. I've heard "You're too thin, you're going to blow away in the wind" and "Go eat a hamburger, you look like you're starving yourself" oh the "OMG you can see your collar bone, that can't be healthy!" All from family. I've put on 10 lbs since I got to my smallest and working on getting it back off, but I've learned that I didn't do this for them, I did it for me and I know I'm healthy and feel good and will keep doing what I'm doing and keep it off to make ME feel good.

With all that being said, it doesn't matter how I feel or anyone else, but in my opinion, you look amazing!
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!! Dont let them make you feel like that. You look fantastic and you feel fantastic and thats what it is all about.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Tell them to stuff it. You look amazing, and I would guess around 18-20% BF which is perfect.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Uhhh . . . that's insane- their reaction. But who gives a *&%*$*#????

ALL that matters is that YOU feel comfortable in your own skin. We were not put on this earth to please others. Life was made to be enjoyed. So enjoy it. :)

And btw, you look great!!
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OP, you look fine. But since you posted this last week:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1274911-1200-cals-is-just-fine-1100-is-just-fine-too-if

Could it be that your family is just concerned for you?

No, they would not be concerned by my calorie intake at all, as that information was accurate; if you read the post, it continues to say that these numbers are okay if... you are short, and any calorie calculator will tell you the same. My sister is a nurse as well as also being a shortie, so she is well aware of the comparatively lower calorie requirement for short people when they try to lose weight, and we have even discussed that in the past when SHE was trying to lose weight. That post was based on calorie calculations from http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ which most people here on MFP swear by, and they are the same calorie guidelines as prescribed several of my fitness books, all written by nurses and doctors, and in a private consultation with Jorge Cruise, he told me that short women should be eating no more than 1200 calories. Finally my doctor also approves of my calorie intake and said, and I quote, "keep doing what you are doing." Also my chiropractor is thrilled, because the weight loss has made all my lower back problems go away. I understand that certain people on FB do some scaremongering about these numbers, however the best books, online sources, and live consultations with doctor and personal trainers I have had have 100% approved the 1100 - 1200 calorie range for my height, weight, and age while I was losing weight - but that is another story in another thread!

That being said, I am currently maintaining at my TDEE - since I am not trying to lose weight, I am no longer eating at a 20% reduction. And furthermore, not a single person in my family knows my daily calorie intake, or has an idea of what I eat. They live in Alabama and I live in Denmark and they have not seen nor been able to assess my eating habits since I was last there 18 months ago - at which point they would have seen me eating barbeque and chocolate pie anyway - which is certainly something to worry about! LOL

My family's comments are made solely by the pictures I have posted on here on MFP.

I agree with a lot of people, those close to you always have a picture of you and may be shocked over loss. It’s a part of the journey to say this is the new me and I am proud of that. Personally, I feel like you LOOK great, but like a few people here, I also followed your other posts including ‘short girl intake/1200 cal’ last week as well as ‘losing weight but not inches,’ and those posts concern me. You were advised that your deficiency (while trying to loss) was too much for someone needing to lose only about 30 lbs. Taking into consideration that you family seem educated in related fields, I am pretty sure that they are more concerned about your intake, even if it’s a made-up or assumed figure.

Everybody loves weight loss but you are bound to hear some negative comments along the way no matter what your size for various reason. Personally, I lost 50 lbs about two years ago. While I was (and remain) obese, I can tell you that at the time, everybody’s comments about how ‘you’ve lost so much weight’ were all taken in extremes. With every compliment, my ego inflated and with every [slightly] negative comment, I would say these people don’t know and are jealous. While I am not trying to imply that you are sick like I was by any means, I think that you should remember that your family (unless they are out right disgusting people) is only going to tell you some things because they love you. These are things that your coworkers, neighbors and even friends won’t tell you.

While you took your time with the weight loss, which is great, I have yet to see you put out your complete stats out there for help and you completely disregard the advice of long time members/losers. That being said, I’m suggesting you do a little more research into sustainable weight loss. Example: your weight at 114 as per your ticker, estimated a moderate active lifestyle considering your activities in the OP, and you mention that you are 5 ft 1 in. Based on these estimates, I plugged them into the Scooby’s calc you like, your estimated BMR is around 1257 and your estimated TDEE is around 1948. In other posts, I notice you are eating between 1100-1200 calories which is just simply not enough to fuel your body’s needs. Then of course it turns to burning your excess fat as energy, which means weight loss. I’m all for using these calculators to estimate and then finding the sweet spot in that range since I personally eat at my calculated average BMR to lose 1 lb/month. However, you above said that your sister seemingly approves your “short girl” diet, but in the OP here, you says she is one of the ones who expressed their concern harshly. That being said, just because you are losing/lost weight and are within a healthy weight range, does not make your practices healthy. Without knowing you, I believe THAT is your family’s concern.

Would you consider posting your all stats (weight, height, activity level, etc) and/or opening your diary for review?

I beg you not to feel criticized by my comment as it is not my intent to accuse you of unhealthy habit. If you are comfortable and feel like this is sustainable, please continue. On the other side of things, if you want constructive advise and comments (not unqualified compliments), you need to supply people with the information needed to make an accurate opinion.

As for everyone else, I urge you to take into consideration that you don’t know each other. I know we all want to support each other and rightfully so, which is why I love being a part of this community, but if any of you took the time to read any of her other posts, you may have reservation about how she is going about this too. From the perspective of a past ED, compliments can be just as, if not more, harmful than so-called negative comments.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You look FANTASTIC!! I think your family is trying to disguise jealousy as concern & frankly, well screw them!
  • angelguess7
    angelguess7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. Some people will be critical of you no matter what.....thick or thin so to speak.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Ignore them! I'm dying for your body.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've nothing substantial to add, but am just another voice telling you that you look AH-MAZING. You look happy, tones, muscular and in great shape. You've done incredibly well.

Form someone who has a family full of people who tear people down for improving themselves, I would say, Stick to what you know is true. You know it is better to be fit, healthy and happy. You know you feel better now.

People can be mean *kitten* to the people they love. I'm, sorry you have to be around people like this. Keep up the good work.
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ummm, yeah, those comments would totally hurt my feelings as well. And they are totally uncalled for in every way. You look amazing! Both your face and your body look awesome, and it is totally incomprehensible to me why your family would say such things. I'm so sorry, I just don't get it. You might not have your families' support, but you have MFP's! You look so healthy, what could possibly be wrong with that??!! You go girl! Don't let them get you down!! HUGS
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry they said that! You look great!
  • Ninabee150
    Ninabee150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: U look awesome. Sounds like some jealous people. Way ignore!:wink:
  • sjs227
    sjs227 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ignore them! I hate when my family talks about my weight loss. I don't post it on FB anymore.

btw, I love your hair (now)! I wish mine looked like that.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    great job looking good
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    u look great
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    u look great
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I can't imagine what their problem is. Sheesh.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!