Working out everyday, eating right, NOT losing weight??

Options

Replies

• fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your skinny fat and no amount of weight loss is going to make you look 'toned'. If you want to look better you are going to have to start weight training bear in mind that you will gain some weight back. It's up to you though you can continue with your plan and become super skinny or start eating right, exercise with resistance and get a shapely but slim figure.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help because if you think you are overweight then you have larger problems then not losing weight. Your weight/height ratio is spot on.

"You Are Not Fat!!" You may be skinny/fat where you still have a lot of body fat and no muscle definition. If this is the case you need to be eating higher amounts of protein, healthy fats, veggies and fewer carbs and you need to be lifting weights(heavy weights---not the pretty colored weights) not doing cardio. You will not get bulky
    your a woman, it won't happen unless you completely change your diet to strict bodybuilding regimens.

And when lifting weights, you shouldn't do it everyday unless you are targeting different parts of your body like arms one day then legs etc. Your body needs at least a days rest between workouts.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your skinny fat and no amount of weight loss is going to make you look 'toned'. If you want to look better you are going to have to start weight training bear in mind that you will gain some weight back. It's up to you though you can continue with your plan and become super skinny or start eating right, exercise with resistance and get a shapely but slim figure.

+1
  • ugfcheer09
    ugfcheer09 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am in a similar situation...although I am 23, 5'2", and 187 lbs so I have much more to lose. I have been at it for 5 weeks and lost 10 lbs last month. The last 2 weeks I have been at a stall though.

I average about 1200-1300 calories a day and eat almost the exact same thing every day and measure my food.

Breakfast- 1 scoop dark chocolate muscle milk powder with 12 oz. unsweetened plain almond milk. 240 calories
    Snack-1 cup 2% cottage cheese-190 calories
    Lunch-1 aidells chicken apple sausage and 1 cup carrots-180 calories
    Snack-1 quest bar-usually about 180 calories (depends on flavor)
    Dinner-6 oz. Jennie-O Turkey Kielbasa with 2 eggs-455 calories
    Pre-workout-NO Explode 2.0-40 calories

I workout 45 min. to 1:15 min. 6 days per week.
    Monday, Wednesday, Saturday-45 minute spinning class.
    Tuesday-30 min cardio (stairstepper machine, uphill walking on treadmill, elliptical) and Leg day (45 min)
    Thursday-30 min cardio and Chest and Back day (45 min)
    Friday-30 min cardio and Bi's, Tri's and Shoulder's day (45 min)

I do tape measure measurements as well just in case I was losing inches instead of pounds...that is not happening either...losing maybe 1/8th of an inch in my stomach isn't even log worthy.

Is there anything in specific I should adjust? I am open to ideas!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation...although I am 23, 5'2", and 187 lbs so I have much more to lose. I have been at it for 5 weeks and lost 10 lbs last month. The last 2 weeks I have been at a stall though.

I average about 1200-1300 calories a day and eat almost the exact same thing every day and measure my food.

Breakfast- 1 scoop dark chocolate muscle milk powder with 12 oz. unsweetened plain almond milk. 240 calories
    Snack-1 cup 2% cottage cheese-190 calories
    Lunch-1 aidells chicken apple sausage and 1 cup carrots-180 calories
    Snack-1 quest bar-usually about 180 calories (depends on flavor)
    Dinner-6 oz. Jennie-O Turkey Kielbasa with 2 eggs-455 calories
    Pre-workout-NO Explode 2.0-40 calories

I workout 45 min. to 1:15 min. 6 days per week.
    Monday, Wednesday, Saturday-45 minute spinning class.
    Tuesday-30 min cardio (stairstepper machine, uphill walking on treadmill, elliptical) and Leg day (45 min)
    Thursday-30 min cardio and Chest and Back day (45 min)
    Friday-30 min cardio and Bi's, Tri's and Shoulder's day (45 min)

I do tape measure measurements as well just in case I was losing inches instead of pounds...that is not happening either...losing maybe 1/8th of an inch in my stomach isn't even log worthy.

Is there anything in specific I should adjust? I am open to ideas!

You'll probably get more responses if you start your own thread since your situation seems to be quite a bit different than the OPs.

Two weeks without a loss usually isn't something to worry about. Weight loss isn't linear and you aren't going to lose every week thanks to the natural water weight fluctuations in our bodies. You lost a good chunk of weight last month and now your body is adjusting. Drink plenty of fluids and wait another week or two to see if things change.

First thing I would question is how accurately you're logging. 1 aidell's chicken & apple sausage by itself is 180 calories. The cup of carrots is going to add more calories.

Read through these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Make sure that your calorie goal is appropriate for your size and activity level, double-check the accuracy of all of your numbers, and adjust your expectations a little.
  • donnaat27
    donnaat27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Using myfitnesspal, work out how many calories you should eat per day to maintain your current weight and stick to it. Exercise as you have been (at least 3 times a week), but don't log the exercise. That will be your deficit and you'll lose weight. If you don't within the next 4 weeks then I suggest you watch 'Secret Eaters' if you can get hold of it (depends where you are) and log your food more accurately, It's completely impossible not to lose weight using that method diligently.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options

My eating is normally like this;

lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread ...

so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.

Dinner is ALWAYS healthy, mostly grilled chicken and a salad (no cheese and only olive oil and vinegar as dressing) or a veggie burger and baked sweet potato. Something like that. So probably 350-400 calories I'll assume.

...so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I think I've identified your problem. See the bolded words.

Unless you are accurately weighing, measuring, and logging what you eat, it's quite likely you're eating more than you think.

I'd also take some measurements from time to time...it's quite possible that you're not losing weight per the scale, but certain areas of your body may be shrinking/growing from the workouts.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Where do I begin?

One, toning IS adding muscle. What you are doing when you are toning is you ARE building muscle, and burning fat. You're adding definition. I just wanted to clear that up for you.

Two, you're eating too many carbs (both good and bad), and not getting enough protein. Carbs absorb into your body and can be stored as fat. Take cereal for example. No matter how healthy they say cereal is, it's not the best carbs to have, ESPECIALLY after a workout. In fact, you shouldn't be getting those carbs into your body at all after a workout. You should be consuming protein after your workout because you need your muscles to rebuild and recover. If you don't, your muscles will not develop. You need for your muscles to develop because it also promotes body strength. Do you really want to be frail? I hope not. With the kettlebell exercises you're doing, even if it is only a 10 lb. kettlebell, you are still using muscles you never thought you had, what you are doing is you are tearing up your muscles (not in a bad way, so don't be alarmed). You are creating microtears in your muscles, and if you do not get the protein you need 30 minutes after a workout, your muscles will not develop. You should really invest in a good protein shake after a workout. It's really the best way. I would suggest getting Rebuild Strength because it has whey and casein proteins, BCAAs, and L-Glutamine, all of which is great for muscle recovery. You will not bulk up. This will help you recover, and it is VERY IMPORTANT that you get these proteins in.

Three: Protein snacks. You need protein snacks. This is going to be the difference with the results you will get. For the most part, your snacks are good, but you must consume the protein snacks for your metabolism.

And four: If you are not losing weight after all of the advice I've given you, do not be alarmed or discouraged. Remember, muscle is heavier than fat, and it is better to weigh as much as you do with muscle (and healthier) than it is to weigh as much as you do with fat. If your scale still reads the same, see how many inches you have lost. I guarantee you will lose inches.

I am happy to help with any advice you may need. I really hope this will help some. :)
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Where do I begin?

One, toning IS adding muscle. What you are doing when you are toning is you ARE building muscle, and burning fat. You're adding definition. I just wanted to clear that up for you.

Two, you're eating too many carbs (both good and bad), and not getting enough protein. Carbs absorb into your body and can be stored as fat. Take cereal for example. No matter how healthy they say cereal is, it's not the best carbs to have, ESPECIALLY after a workout. In fact, you shouldn't be getting those carbs into your body at all after a workout. You should be consuming protein after your workout because you need your muscles to rebuild and recover. If you don't, your muscles will not develop. You need for your muscles to develop because it also promotes body strength. Do you really want to be frail? I hope not. With the kettlebell exercises you're doing, even if it is only a 10 lb. kettlebell, you are still using muscles you never thought you had, what you are doing is you are tearing up your muscles (not in a bad way, so don't be alarmed). You are creating microtears in your muscles, and if you do not get the protein you need 30 minutes after a workout, your muscles will not develop. You should really invest in a good protein shake after a workout. It's really the best way. I would suggest getting Rebuild Strength because it has whey and casein proteins, BCAAs, and L-Glutamine, all of which is great for muscle recovery. You will not bulk up. This will help you recover, and it is VERY IMPORTANT that you get these proteins in.

Three: Protein snacks. You need protein snacks. This is going to be the difference with the results you will get. For the most part, your snacks are good, but you must consume the protein snacks for your metabolism.

And four: If you are not losing weight after all of the advice I've given you, do not be alarmed or discouraged. Remember, muscle is heavier than fat, and it is better to weigh as much as you do with muscle (and healthier) than it is to weigh as much as you do with fat. If your scale still reads the same, see how many inches you have lost. I guarantee you will lose inches.

I am happy to help with any advice you may need. I really hope this will help some. :)

Thanks so much. I know I've been trying to do the best low calorie things to eat, because my BMR is low (1,300-1,400 from the sites I've checked) so I don't know really how to eat enough of certain food groups in fear of not actually ending up with a calorie deficit. I would use protein powder but I am dairy free and trying to avoid arginine (heard of side effects) I'm not sure how many calories to consume so I still have a deficit and still lose weight.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    How tiny is "tiny"?? The less you weigh the less calories you are burning during exercise. You are probably over estimating your calories burned and thus not in as large a deficit as you think. Or since you are "tiny" maybe your body doesn't want to lose any more?

In stature I'm small, I weigh 123 pounds. I haven't successfully lost anything, over a few months I've just gained. I work very hard in the gym and by registering my weight in the machines I'm able to tell what I'm burning based on weight.

At this height and weight, there is very little likelihood that you are burning almost 10 calories/minute with much of the exercise being weight resistance. I'm 6'1" and over 400lbs, and an hour of cardio for me ranges from 650-800. Sorry to say it but I have a hard time believing that you burn as much as I do in an hour doing less sustained cardio.

Small or not, you likely need more consistent body function support from your calorie intake. 600-700 calories in is not a recommended diet for a person of any size, that is a full grown adult. If you truly eat that much and truly burn that much, you're leaving your body to have zero extra, and therefore it's going to hold onto every bit of body insulation you have because it needs to fuel it's basic functions no matter what. A month is definitely long enough to impact that survival tactic.

Healthy weight for 5' is 97-125lbs. You certainly aren't in a position to be essentially crash dieting.
  • Quasita
    Options
    Where do I begin?

*claws at her new haircut due to statement "muscle is heavier than fat"*

OP, this is one of the only posts I've seen you thank anyone for, and I'm wondering why? Because I read this, and it reads to ME as a mixture of misguided statements and decent advice (mostly that regarding protein intake).

No calories are absorbed as fat or automatically turned into fat. That is, except for calories contained in... FAT. All calories hold the potential to be converted into long term energy stores aka body fat. While it may be true that certain sources are more prone to this conversion, it's more because things like proteins and complex carbs are more difficult to break down through digestion, making their calories more "sustained" in their release rather than simple substances like sugars, which release rather immediately.

Pre-workout, some sources suggest not eating within the hour beforehand because of these conversions, others say it doesn't matter. After the workout, particularly resistance training, protein can be more important, due to muscle repair *but* many studies have shown that there is a limitation to how much protein your body can "unlock" at any given time. Cereal would be something you would eat in the morning or an hour or two before the workout as the carbs will generate easily accessed energy sources for the workout, the protein after workout is about repair. However, it's not going to magically become fat content, especially not when you're eating at a significant deficit.

Whey products are also not always the best option for people, and many sources state that it's a poor source of protein for the purpose. Yes, a lot of people still use it, but I'm more encouraging you to consider options and research multiple supplements (if you elect to add one) before investing your money in the one suggested.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

She can eat plenty of carbs, as long as they are complex; HOWEVER, she should not sacrifice protein for carbs.

Consuming protein within 30 minutes after a wo is a MYTH. It doesn't matter WHEN she gets it, as long as she gets it.

OMG - STOP with the muscle is heavier than fat! Muscle is DENSER than fat, a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. I really hope that is what you meant to say.....
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
  • dirizti
    dirizti Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome to the plateau friend!

I suggestgo on a binge eating for 3-4 days then start over with your weight loss regime like usual.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

OMG - STOP with the muscle is heavier than fat! Muscle is DENSER than fat, a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. I really hope that is what you meant to say.....

So correct.
  • Quasita
    Options

She can eat plenty of carbs, as long as they are complex; HOWEVER, she should not sacrifice protein for carbs.

Consuming protein within 30 minutes after a wo is a MYTH. It doesn't matter WHEN she gets it, as long as she gets it.

QFT!

Obviously on the muscle vs. fat weight.

As far as I'm concerned, from the statements made thus far, it doesn't warrant eating a huge amount of protein and replacing all snacks with protein bars or anything of the sort. Just having extra available should be enough, and such a small person doesn't need 200g+ to achieve that supplementation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Where do I begin?

Thanks so much. I know I've been trying to do the best low calorie things to eat, because my BMR is low (1,300-1,400 from the sites I've checked) so I don't know really how to eat enough of certain food groups in fear of not actually ending up with a calorie deficit. I would use protein powder but I am dairy free and trying to avoid arginine (heard of side effects) I'm not sure how many calories to consume so I still have a deficit and still lose weight.

Is there anything in particular that's confusing you about how to set your calorie goals?
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Where do I begin?

Is there anything in particular that's confusing you about how to set your calorie goals?

I have a low BMR so I'm very aware of all my calories because if I end up with maybe 1200 after exercise (which would be normal for someone else and would be a good deficit) i would only have a deficit of 100-200 cals and hardly lose.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Be patient, and the scale and measuring tape will go in the right direction. Keep weighing and logging your food/drink and keep active. Your efforts will pay off, maybe not as fast as you want, but it will...