why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Options

Replies

• PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fit person but I wouldn't mind working out next to people who take lifting seriously. I think it's actually helpful. You might learn something.

However I will be joining YouFit this summer. Mainly because I'm frugal. As a beginner I think it suits me well.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I've let my old gym membership expire. I'm signing up to Planet Fitness. You just can't beat $10 a month. I've always been self-conscious at the gym so I'm not going to be grunting or otherwise making noises while working out anyway.

I don't think I'll ever be in great shape so I'm not worried about looking like I'm "too fit".

I don't really care if I'm working out around fit or noisy people, but since I'm not either one of those people I should have no problem at PF. And for $10 a month, it sounds good to me.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined with my son after a two year absence. I had no problem quitting and like the place. They do have pizza and bagels once a month. I was there the other night when they had pizza but everyone was getting it on the way out and they didn't push it on you. Personally I don't partake but that is my call. They are clean and you cannot beat the cost. Ours is clean and is getting ready to go to a new location, will be twice the size and all new equipment. I can work with a trainer as part of the monthly fee.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree -it's just a marketing ploy that may have turned into something it wasn't originally intended.

I think it was to be more for the 'average joe' consumer than Globo Gym.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And I ask again, which no one seems to want to answer to, what do you think of their derogatory marketing strategy?

They caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person all while advertising a judgement free zone, if that wasn't the marketing scheme they'd catch far less hell here, but from what I can tell that's what they want.

That's what disgusts most people about the place...

In the initial planning of the company, I'd say that it was trying to gear itself toward the everyman, not the bodybuilder. I think that calling "bodybuilders" if you will lunkheads is kinda tacky to be honest, but I don't believe that it was initially intended that way, but like wording of any kind, it can be taken wrong. Maybe that's why I've always laughed at the advertising, because I think it's silly now. No really, I think it's just silly. PF is not a place for those that are wanting to get to be Olympic medalists in weightlifting. It's more for the cardio and toning, as well as muscle building (to an extent). As for a judgment free zone, yeah I see where people could get mad that a bodybuilder is characterized as a dummy, but to be honest, I would see you as an idiot if you started yelling during lifting weights.

Think about it in another way, if yelling and loudly grunting makes someone like me, someone who is trying to lose weight and tone up for a health reasons and a wedding, feel uncomfortable, I might leave. If you're yelling and loudly grunting and people are looking at you like, wow he's strong, you're going to keep doing it, but, if the people around you are like me and see it as someone being an idiotic attention *kitten*, you might leave because you can't do that anymore without people judging you. I'm not advocating that bodybuilders are idiots, I'm just telling you the way I've always seen people who do the things prohibited at a Planet Fitness.

I really hope that made sense XD

TL:DR version: I think that it's a very silly and dumb advertising ploy that was not initially intended to be what it became.

PF's marketing doesn't caricaturize only the bodybuilder, it demeans the fitness enthusiast in general.

How does is being called "a dull or stupid person; blockhead." supposed to be taken? Since I am one because I drink from a gallon jug and wear "inappropriate headwear" to the gym (because it's awesome...holds my ear buds in place and keeps sweat out of my eyes) I clearly don't understand.

Edit: I also think you have a pretty skewed look on bodybuilding, toning (whatever that is), and weight lifting in general.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How does is being called "a dull or stupid person; blockhead." supposed to be taken? Since I am one because I drink from a gallon jug and wear "inappropriate headwear" to the gym (because it's awesome...holds my ear buds in place and keeps sweat out of my eyes) I clearly don't understand.

Honestly if I became offended by every thing someone thought or said about me I'd never leave my house.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love that Alien guy, Giorgio A. Tsoukalos :love:

He is so "funnys"! I'm so "funnys"! Watch my movie
  • RGv2
    Options

Honestly if I became offended by every thing someone thought or said about me I'd never leave my house.

I'm not, I just think it's funny that the "judgment free zone" is all based on judgment, but if it were flipped (as pointed out earlier) the world would be up in arms.

Ironic marketing ploy is ironic.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Cos they're ****teh
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like being referred to as a "meathead" or a "lunk" or whatever just because I rock my fitness. For some reason, people who go to PF are terrified of people who actually workout and look the part. I don't see what is so terrifying about someone doing deadlifts and power cleans...these are pretty classic weight training movements.

Don't get yourself too fit...you'll probably get the boot.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No deadlifts.

... and an act of Congress to cancel your membership.
    Can you just deadlift until they kick you out? :laugh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    They are really good about getting themselves in the news for kicking people out. Their dress code and how it is enforced is ridiculous. They claim to be a "judgment free zone" but that only applies to the people they actually want at their non gym. Honestly, their business model sucks.

And their color scheme is awful!

No. their business model is absolute genius.

$10/mo. They only get a certain type of customer. That customer goes in Jan for 2 weeks, and never goes again for 3 years, meanwhile continuing to pay $10/mo because it's not enough to worry about. Then, they get inspiration, and go again, in Jan 3 years later, for 2 weeks, and stop going and continue paying $10/mo for another 3 years. and it goes on and on and on and on. This is their business model.

THEY DON'T ACTUALLY WANT PEOPLE TO USE THE GYM. This is why they don't want actual gym people going there. People that use the gym put wear and tear on the equipment. And, if you think it's a surprise that they offer pizza and candy, then you haven't really understood the business model yet. Keep thinking.

It's absolutely the best business model I have ever seen and one of my regrets in life is that I didn't think of this first. It's absolutely beautiful.

this is absoluetly true.

Although in reality 10 bucks a month doesn't 'only get a certain type of customer'. there are a suprising number of large, very muscular regulars because its really the only gym in the immediate area.

i got to be pretty good friends with a manager when i first joined and he essentially said the same thing as you.

but copy cats are popping up all the time, just need to find the right area if you really want your own gym

one thing i will give PF is that they update thier equipment much more regularly then any other gym i've been too. unfortunately when they do that, its always stuff i don't use and then end up deleting something i do use to make space for it.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hmm the free bagels are tempting but I don't think I can give up my deadlifts.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    lol at all the internet 'fitness buffs' that are offended by the marketing strategy.

get over yourselves.

if you honestly think your in that good of shape, or that stauesque, it should put a sly little smile on your face

however, 'judgement freezone' couldn't be more laughable
  • RGv2
    Options
    lol at all the internet 'fitness buffs' that are offended by the marketing strategy.

get over yourselves.

if you honestly think your in that good of shape, or that stauesque, it should put a sly little smile on your face

however, 'judgement freezone' couldn't be more laughable

So pointing out the hypocrisy in a marketing strategy anchored by a derogatory term is being offended?

I just think it's funny. "I need a judgment free zone so I can get away from those lunks".
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    no saying your offended means your offended
  • RGv2
    Options
    no saying your offended means your offended

I haven't seen that in this thread yet....huh...:huh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

PF's marketing doesn't caricaturize only the bodybuilder, it demeans the fitness enthusiast in general.

Edit: I also think you have a pretty skewed look on bodybuilding, toning (whatever that is), and weight lifting in general.

i don't know, how is being called a blockhead supposed to be taken?