What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer...

...a postcyberpunk novel by Neal Stephenson. It is to some extent a science fiction bildungsroman or coming-of-age story, focused on a young girl named Nell, and set in a future world in which nanotechnology affects all aspects of life. The novel deals with themes of education, social class, ethnicity, and the nature of artificial intelligence.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    'Waterlog: A Swimmer's Journey Through Britain' - open water swimming, lidos and outdoor pools, beautifully written.

Also working my way through the Smitten Kitchen cookbook and New Rules for Women.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Burial Rites by Hannah Kent.

Haunting and melancholy, but a total page-turner (so far)!

That book is one of my favourites. It is so so haunting and well written. I got through it in one day because it was just so amazing.

I am currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes. Just finished Into the Darkest Corner....excellent!
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you love fantasy books I highly recommend to my MFP friends to read Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones! :-)

Howl's Moving Castle is a BOOK!!!! I must read this! :love:

It is a series of three books, and they are ALL SO AMAZING. A lot of people don't seem to like the other two because they don't deal directly with Sophie and Howl, but I love them EVEN MORE because the world that Dianna Wynne Jones builds is just so magical and amazing and *squee*
  • rebma1040
    rebma1040 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A Feast for Crows, by George R.R. Martin
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sun-mi hwang' s the hen who dreamed she could fly.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    At any given moment (cuz I do tend to multi-task):

Sky Coyote - Kage Baker
    Tao Te Ching - trans. Stephen Mitchell
    The Children of Henry VIII - Alison Weir
  • jcallejabjj
    jcallejabjj Posts: 33
    Options
    The Devil You Know
  • spsanderson
    spsanderson Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Way to many books, just finished Status Syndrome by Sir Michael Marmot,
    reading:
    120 Days of Sodom by The Marquis De Sade
    Beyond Good and Evil Friedrich Nietzsche
    The Working Class Majority: Americas Best Kept Secret Michael Zweig Ph.D
    Set Theory and Metric Spaces Irving Kaplansky
    A New Kind of Science Stephen Wolfram
    Data Mining with Rattle in R Graham Williams
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Perfect" by Ellen Hopkins.

It's unique in that she writes in poetry. This book is in the point of view of 4 different characters, each dealing with their own idea of "perfection" and what that means for them. The main struggles are: perfect love (and denying one's true identity), the perfect body (and how far you're willing to go to get it), and the perfect life (and giving up on your true dreams for success.... or what it means to be successful).

Here's a synopsis, if anyone is interested:
    "Everyone has something, someone, somewhere else that they’d rather be. For four high-school seniors, their goals of perfection are just as different as the paths they take to get there. Cara’s parents’ unrealistic expectations have already sent her twin brother Conner spiraling toward suicide. For her, perfect means rejecting their ideals to take a chance on a new kind of love. Kendra covets the perfect face and body—no matter what surgeries and drugs she needs to get there. To score his perfect home run—on the field and off—Sean will sacrifice more than he can ever win back. And Andre realizes that to follow his heart and achieve his perfect performance, he’ll be living a life his ancestors would never understand. Everyone wants to be perfect, but when perfection loses its meaning, how far will you go? What would you give up to be perfect? A riveting and startling companion to the bestselling Impulse, Ellen Hopkins’s Perfect exposes the harsh truths about what it takes to grow up and grow into our own skins, our own selves." - See more at: http://ellenhopkins.com/YoungAdult/perfect/#sthash.dduxfYyH.dpuf
  • rikracer61
    rikracer61 Posts: 208
    Options
    The Fires Of Heaven- Robert Jordan
  • lucyloutoo
    Options
    Life after life, Kate Atkinson

(I remember when I used to post on the what films did you last see topic way more than this...must get out more)
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just bought 5 James Patterson books from a garage this past weekend. Can't wait to get to them!
  • Spicer1
    Spicer1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Recently read Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects all by Gillian Flynn. I wish she had more!
  • lucyloutoo
    Options
    1980 david peace
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My son and Husband got me 4 of the 5 Hannibal series books for my Birthday/Mothers day gifts :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Just finished Allegiant, the third book in the Divergent series.

currently reading:

Field of Prey by John Sandford
    John Dies at the End

I just got the Invention of Wings from the library.
  • bethphelpsfit
    bethphelpsfit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I Thought it Was Just Me (But It Isn't) by Dr. Brene Brown
    1 Corinthians (With a focus on Grace)
    The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Lorrie Moore - Birds of America