why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Options

Replies

• PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just pay the $10 and try out the gym OP.

Once you reach a certain fitness level and PF no longer fits your needs then you can move on to a diff gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    lol at all the internet 'fitness buffs' that are offended by the marketing strategy.

get over yourselves.

if you honestly think your in that good of shape, or that stauesque, it should put a sly little smile on your face

however, 'judgement freezone' couldn't be more laughable

It's not so much that I'm stauesque ('cuz I'm not)...it's that they (as per their marketing and advertising) considered me to be a lunk or meathead because I perform classic movements like dead lifts and power cleans and actually lift and like to push myself in the weight room.

I checked out 3 PFs in my town when I first was getting back into fitness and none of them allowed you to perform classic power or olympic lifts..'cuz somehow that intimidates people or something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have a planet fitness here, but I read an article where a lady was told to wear different clothes because she was fit and made people feel bad. I think that's over the top and demeaning.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

PF's marketing doesn't caricaturize only the bodybuilder, it demeans the fitness enthusiast in general.

How does is being called "a dull or stupid person; blockhead." supposed to be taken? Since I am one because I drink from a gallon jug and wear "inappropriate headwear" to the gym (because it's awesome...holds my ear buds in place and keeps sweat out of my eyes) I clearly don't understand.

Edit: I also think you have a pretty skewed look on bodybuilding, toning (whatever that is), and weight lifting in general.

i don't know, how is being called a blockhead supposed to be taken?

How is it supposed to be taken, a term of endearment? I mean, you do understand it is an insult, right? Some people may take offence to that, thus answering "why do people seem to not like planet fitness".

I, for one, just love the irony in it.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I pay $10/month. I don't go to PF. I can deadlift my little heart out (sorry, had to say it!)

If $10/month is why you're with PF - awesome, that is a good deal. But there are other options out there as well. Its up to each person to make their own choice on which gym to go to. Regardless, I give all people props with the initiative of working out/going to a gym.

As for the bagels and pizza, might as well grab it and stick it in your back pockets. Likely where it will end up if you eat it, anyway. :laugh:
  • pinkshiningstar
    Options
    I don't think we have a planet fitness here, but I read an article where a lady was told to wear different clothes because she was fit and made people feel bad. I think that's over the top and demeaning.

Yea, she was actually asked to leave the gym because people were feeling "uncomfortable". She showed the clothing she was wearing - pants and a tank. I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be anything intimidating about that, no matter who you are.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    lol at all the internet 'fitness buffs' that are offended by the marketing strategy.

get over yourselves.

if you honestly think your in that good of shape, or that stauesque, it should put a sly little smile on your face

It's not so much that I'm stauesque ('cuz I'm not)...it's that they (as per their marketing and advertising) considered me to be a lunk or meathead because I perform classic movements like dead lifts and power cleans and actually lift and like to push myself in the weight room.

I checked out 3 PFs in my town when I first was getting back into fitness and none of them allowed you to perform classic power or olympic lifts..'cuz somehow that intimidates people or something.

its far from ideal and many would say woefully inadaquate.

you'd be surprised with what you can get away with tho, especially if your willing to go in at odd hours. i've heard the lunk alarm go off a lot, but i've never actually seen someone asked to stop doing a particular lift, tho i'm sure it probably happens in another member makes a fuss.

no way around no squat rack though, not really anyway. its the lack of basic equipment thats the actual issue. but they are not a gym according to thier commercial lol
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

get over yourselves.

its far from ideal and many would say woefully inadaquate.

you'd be surprised with what you can get away with tho, especially if your willing to go in at odd hours. i've heard the lunk alarm go off a lot, but i've never actually seen someone asked to stop doing a particular lift, tho i'm sure it probably happens in another member makes a fuss.

no way around no squat rack though, not really anyway. its the lack of basic equipment thats the actual issue. but they are not a gym according to thier commercial lol

Get away with? Are you encouraging people to violate the corporate policies of Planet Fitness?
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I believe he is.

Try YouFit.

They are also $10 and there is no lunk alarm.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    lol, yes, if that means one is getting a good work out!

F-it, its your gym as much as anyone else's who paid thier 10 bucks. if they don't like it that bad, they can tell the manager, don't worry, they will, lol.

tough to use stuff thats not there though lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    all the gold's gyms around me went out of buisness, and then were re-opened as 'Vent fitness'. they have all the golds equipment and memberships start at 10. still at least 20 min in the wrong direction tho
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i'm currently building my planet fitness escape pod through roguefitness.com
  • pinkshiningstar
    Options
    all the gold's gyms around me went out of buisness, and then were re-opened as 'Vent fitness'. they have all the golds equipment and memberships start at 10. still at least 20 min in the wrong direction tho

Same happened with my Gold's, but I just stayed a member at the "new" gym. I like it. Convenience is a huge thing though.
  • barbarapoppa54
    barbarapoppa54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters where you go to exercise just so long as you are exercising and enjoying it. I like Planet Fitness and I use to belong to LA Fitness and years ago Curves. I find that each place suits a different level of where you are with your fitness goals. Planet Fitness is great for someone starting out or starting over. The phone comment about people talking while on equipement I have never seen, they have signs to talk in a certain area. I found that LA fitness phone use on machines was a problem...I think it is a combination of what your needs are and the area as well. Like stores etc. the area that the place is will determine the clientel, weather a younger group, older, etc. So I am not critial of any gym...if you like it and are motivated to go...then it is the best gym for you. Those who don't like it, then I am sure there is a gym for you. Be happy to be exercising and getting healthy no matter where it is.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I lost my Gold's about 4 years ago. I had been a member there about 5 years, since the day it opened. It never re-opened....that place was awesome.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i'd be at a crossfit gym if money was no object
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i'm currently building my planet fitness escape pod through roguefitness.com

roguefitness is awesome and I thought about doing the same, but while I was doing my research I discovered a power lifting gym that is right around the corner from my house about 1.5 miles. It's an old garage storage facility and the gym owner picked up three of the units and knocked out the walls and turned it into a power gym. He's an MMA fighter as well so he has one area dedicated to his fighting ring and all the heavy bags and whatnot and the other half of the gym is just power racks and benches and a big rack of dumbbells and barbells. It's pretty stinkin' awesome at $20. I particularly like when he opens up the garage bay doors and has the stereo blasting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying they discourage achievement and the like, I have news for you, they don't.

not for nothing- but that's exactly what they do. their whole business model is based on that.

if you get TOO fit- or enjoy/appreciate your hard work- they kick you out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    No deadlifts.

... and an act of Congress to cancel your membership.
    Can you just deadlift until they kick you out? :laugh:

Mine won't kick you out. The trainer at my PF said he would never tell me not to deadlift. And I'm pretty sure the lunk alarm isn't even plugged in. And now I want to go to cwolfman13's gym! :love:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    "roguefitness is awesome and I thought about doing the same, but while I was doing my research I discovered a power lifting gym that is right around the corner from my house about 1.5 miles. It's an old garage storage facility and the gym owner picked up three of the units and knocked out the walls and turned it into a power gym. He's an MMA fighter as well so he has one area dedicated to his fighting ring and all the heavy bags and whatnot and the other half of the gym is just power racks and benches and a big rack of dumbbells and barbells. It's pretty stinkin' awesome at $20. I particularly like when he opens up the garage bay doors and has the stereo blasting."

I'm not jealous! Then again, do they want a middle aged kick boxer that is a newbie lifter around?