why do people seem to not like planet fitness?

Options

Replies

• sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you like PF, then by all means continue to go :)

I belong to Planet Fitness and my only complaint is that it's a pain in the butt to drive there sometimes, because it's across town for me. But otherwise, I have no complaints. I think it depends on which one you belong to and the individual owners.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    K here's the deal about how I feel about PF

i dont care how you feel about PF

feel however you want, of course.

BUT don't tell me how hard I am not working or how my workout could not possibly be effective because you do not know me or my work ethic.

mmkthxbye
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Also in for going pantsless. Pants are evil.
    You can go pants-less at Planet Fitness?!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I hate pants

Me, too, but PF kicked me out.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

BUT don't tell me how hard I am not working or how my workout could not possibly be effective because you do not know me or my work ethic.

mmkthxbye

*nods*

Yup.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    As far as Planet Fitness goes (is that even what this thread is about anymore? :huh: ), it seems to me like it heavily (HEAVILY) depends on the location.

I've heard of a lot of locations sounding the lunk alarm and kicking people out on a routine basis. On the other hand, I've read a lot of good reviews from people who said that this never happened at their location. As far as I can tell, the Planet Fitness in my hometown sounds alright. I'd rather go to the YMCA, but I'd say close to 90% of the people I know that go to the gym have a membership at Planet Fitness. I haven't heard any complaints from them (save one, but that was about the trouble they gave her for cancelling her membership; it had nothing to do with the quality of her workouts).

It's a franchise, so every location will be a little different depending on the management.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So. Are we taking off our pants or what? Who's going first?
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Would it help anyone at all if I got nekkid? *hands on zipper*

Just say the word and
    no-pants-14.gif?w=412&h=270

Why have I never seen this gif before? This gif describes my life PERFECTLY.
  • Mrs_Marvel
    Mrs_Marvel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to find out what I have to say to have him get naked.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

mmkthxbye

Whatever any of us feel about PF itself, imo no one should be disparaging the people who work out there just because they workout there.

If the complaint is that PF discourages achievement, it's important to realize that making people feel bad about their gym of choice is going to do the same thing.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I went there for a while.... it was ok. But then for just a few bucks more joied a gym that has aerobic classes too... which I like. Guess I like the comeraderie of group exercise...
  • TheRealKingTony
    TheRealKingTony Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "True they offer pizza and bagels but you don't have to have them"

Should they really be offering the temptation though?

I get that some people may need that carb kick after an intense workout or something but I dunno, maybe have some better options or something.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So. Are we taking off our pants or what? Who's going first?

I'm pretty sure I unzipped and put it on the table a page or two back

Hmm. Fair enough!

Who's going next?

Answer: me
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    "True they offer pizza and bagels but you don't have to have them"

Should they really be offering the temptation though?

I get that some people may need that carb kick after an intense workout or something but I dunno, maybe have some better options or something.
    nothing wrong with pizza or bagels
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There HAS to be something wrong with free pizza handed out at a gym. Seriously, think about it? It's gunna be a nasty chuck e cheese pizza or they really couldn't afford it for a 10 dollar membership fee. Bagels are pretty much bagels but I'll bet that free gym pizza is freaking rank. They couldn't pay me to eat it!

That's the real issue here. Planet Fitness sucks because they hand out sub -standard, nasty pizza.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yup, nothing wrong with pizza or bagels. I used to take my skinny minny teenage son there Monday nights - he loved the unlimited pizza. It was from his favorite local pizza joint, too.

PF is not for serious or experienced bodybuilders. It's for beginners and people who are out of shape or overweight and are intimidated or discouraged by being surrounded by very fit, experienced people. It can be really scary to be morbidly obese and working out in a hardcore gym. People absolutely do judge you. They're beginner-friendly and anyone who is long-term serious about fitness will outgrow them, but everyone has to start somewhere and that's okay.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    So, can someone clear something up for me?

Can you not deadlift at all there? I mean, I'm considering a membership because it's a super cheap second gym, but won't go if I can't do leg day there. Basically I have no scruples, and am willing to be scoffed for a good deal. (judge me, I deserve it)

Would I get booted for my 1 plate deads?

Important stuff, people

Thanks!
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Planet Fitness I use is alright. Overall, I like how it is open 24/7. I work out at late hours sometimes, so it's perfect in that respect. I thought the "lunk alarm" was just a gimmick, something for show, cuz at the one I go to, it never goes off. But the place is really, and I mean seriously, lacking in free weights. And it's pretty diverse, member-wise. I've seen people who are jacked as well as not-so-fit people, and people pretty much wear whatever they want. It could definitely improve on its free weight selection and put a sauna in there. I love those
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    So, can someone clear something up for me?

Can you not deadlift at all there? I mean, I'm considering a membership because it's a super cheap second gym, but won't go if I can't do leg day there. Basically I have no scruples, and am willing to be scoffed for a good deal. (judge me, I deserve it)

Would I get booted for my 1 plate deads?

Important stuff, people

Thanks!

Just ask.

I haven't been to a PF that doesn't allow it.