Is walking a legitimate exercise?

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Haven't you seen the blog post that MFP featured on Facebook yesterday of the member that lost 75# just from walking and counting calories? MOVING is exercise. If you move enough (she was walking like 6-7miles per day) you'll burn enough calories to melt away the pounds. I walk 1mi/day... takes me about 15-20min and I burn an extra 100cal/day. If I ran that same mile it would only take me 10-12min and I would burn 130-150 calories in less time. Either way it's still exercise.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Walking 2 miles a day is exercise, especially if you're moving fast and pumping your arms. Walking my dogs for 20 minutes I don't consider exercise, sure I'm burning a few calories, but the walk is mostly for them, than for me.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Walking is GREAT exercise. I know a fellow who retired out of shape and overweight -- nice guy but not much to look at.

He started walking everywhere for the next three years and OMG at 68 he was BUFF! I could not believe HOW BUFF he got just walking! People say a lot of things. But I have SEEN the results in that fellow and YES not only is walking exercise it got at least ONE person I know personally SEXY BUFF at 68!
  • sxdill09
    sxdill09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes it is for me and all of my mommy friends we started a stroller club the beginning of the week we walk 4 miles every morning pushing strollers and adding in another round in the evenings too already seeing the pounds drop off the scale
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good exercise but if your aim is to keep progressing and improving your fitness you'll get to a point where walking won't get your heart rate up enough to challange you. Yes you'll still burn caloires but as your fitness improves the calorie burn for the same distance will reduce because your body gets more efficient, your heart rate lowers and you use less oxygen.

That is true with all exercise, not just walking.
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is exercise. I walked everywhere when I was a teenager (often I just strapped on the headphones and walked out of boredom) and never thought of it as an exercise, but I could eat whatever I wanted and I never gained weight. When I graduated from high school and moved in with a boyfriend, I stopped walking for something to do and my weight shot up. So, yes, it is an exercise.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've lost 200+ pounds and my only activity was walking. If it isn't exercise, it sure acts like it
  • Tara_1983
    Tara_1983 Posts: 4
    Options
    Heck yeah walking is exercise! It's a great way to start getting into shape, especially if you are quite out of shape.

In the past year I had a hernia operation, then broke my foot, then fell pregnant and dealt with terrible hip pain throughout my pregnancy... and quickly fell out of shape. Prior to that I was walking my kids to and from school (about 4 miles a day)... rain or shine.. 5 days a week.. pretty much ate whatever I wanted and I was in great shape.

Now that I've had the baby and have started walking the kids to school again (and now with the added bonus of pushing baby!) in the past two weeks, the weight is literally falling off of me.
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I do is walking. I walk up to 5miles a day. And have done NO other exercise in the process. For the first time ever, the weight has fallen off and kept falling. Whenever I did other exercise (the gym, swimming, DVD's) the weight would get to a certain point and stay there.

Also, walking isn't just good for your health but it's good for your brain. Nothing like a brisk walk in the sun to chill out :)
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    YES.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    definitely. Good post!:smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    TIL some people feel very strongly about walking.

Apparently.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Of course walking is legitimate exercise. Walking can improve your fitness level and your overall health.

"in shape", however, is a completely arbitrary term open to personal interpretation. Any exercise could be said not to get you "in shape" depending on what the person means by that statement.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My Dad just moved into a seniors residence and the doctors there said there are really two types of seniors, those that have mobility and those that don't. He said walking is the most important exercise you can do as you age.

Yes, walking is exercise.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    So people haven't got the time to check up on facts - just make them up because it's easier!

I do apologise if I've caused annoyance by forcing people to need to *think* about what I've said a little ;).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So people haven't got the time to check up on facts - just make them up because it's easier!

I do apologise if I've caused annoyance by forcing people to need to *think* about what I've said a little ;).

Everything you say is a fact? If we don't find you interesting, we don't think? Strong logic.

And I am sorry for saying you were annoying. Just being honest here.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Sure it is. And the faster and farther you go the better off you are. Want more? Get some wrist weights and swing your arms.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    To me it depends on how vigorous the walk is and/or how long. If your just casually strolling for a few minutes then no.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good exercise but if your aim is to keep progressing and improving your fitness you'll get to a point where walking won't get your heart rate up enough to challange you. Yes you'll still burn caloires but as your fitness improves the calorie burn for the same distance will reduce because your body gets more efficient, your heart rate lowers and you use less oxygen.

If you weigh the same, you will burn the same.

Most people I know have been walking since they were little - there is little to no improvement in efficiency to cause what you suggest.

But yes it becomes less of an effort, and HR will lower, not indicating burning less, but indicating burning less carbs and more fat, and an improved aerobic system to meet the same calorie burn.

But true it won't be a workout for the heart at that point, and unless you go longer, it's maintenance mode for the muscles too.

But those above effects are true of any workout if you don't increase the intensity or effort.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Most weight I've ever lost in a short period of time was about 8 pounds in 14 days and I was doing nothing but walking. Of course I was walking for like 16 miles a day with a backpack on over rough terrain and elevation but it was still walking ;-).

As with all things exercise its about how hard you push yourself, how long you go, and how consistent you are that determines how much of a difference you can make in your body over time. But yeah, you can take walking pretty far and get some great results from it.