• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    15%-20%

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • Siriku
    Siriku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    6-7%. My current BF is somewhere between 12-13%.
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options
    I'm 34% Body fat.

I want to be 26%
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options
    I'm 34% Body fat.

I want to be 26
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i'd like to stay around 8%.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did everyone here get their BF% figures? I have read that there are a number of methods, but it sounds like most are estimates prone to inaccuracy unless you go in to a facility and use specialized equipment.

I just wanted a rough estimate of mine, so I used two online calculators based on body measurements (YMCA and Navy methods) which gave me 42% and 45%, plus I have a scale that used the electric current method, which of course fluctuates wildly but usually reads between 42% and 45%, too.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My goal is 20% but it all depends on how I feel and how difficult it is to maintain.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did everyone here get their BF% figures? I have read that there are a number of methods, but it sounds like most are estimates prone to inaccuracy unless you go in to a facility and use specialized equipment.

I just wanted a rough estimate of mine, so I used two online calculators based on body measurements (YMCA and Navy methods) which gave me 42% and 45%, plus I have a scale that used the electric current method, which of course fluctuates wildly but usually reads between 42% and 45%, too.

I used a couple of different online calculators, and then had myself actually tested at the hospital's community service center. They used the scale that measures with electrical impulses (I think). Not sure what it is called. BUT the online calculators and the machine were VERY close.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Current is approximately 28-30% by body comp test at the gym, 3 point caliper test.
    Confirmed by my LifeTrak (similar to a FitBit) clocking by BMR when I sleep and comparing it the the BMR calculation on the following website:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

My goal is to be about 20%.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Between 18.5 and 19.5. Why? Because I hate to jiggle and I'm itty-bitty boned so I suspect that BMI calculators are showing me as lower BF than I really am to begin with.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Started off at 34% (220lbs)
    Targeted 27%
    Made it and targeted 24%
    Made it and targeted 20% (190lbs)
    Made it and currently targeting 17%
    Might aim for 15% if I think I need it to look better.
  • Jiminibee
    Jiminibee Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm working towards 8-10%. Currently 28%

More into lifestyle changes, health, and longevity, but until I get there, there will be an emphasis on fat loss.

Re measuring: It doesn't really matter which method you use to track your BF%, so long as you are consistant with the method/device you are using. If it's +-5%, it doesn't matter, so long as the trend is down. Once you get closer to your overall goal, get a DXA/DEXA scan done, it's an x-ray of your fat and msucle, and it's really interesting and accurate. It will even show you how much muscle per region ie your left arm has x muscle mass, your right arm has y muscle mass. This is really useful to show imbalances.

EDIT: added measuring paragraph
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did everyone here get their BF% figures?

Got a DEXA scan. check google for your area, i found a sports clinic on groupon doing them for 25 bucks. but you can find them usually for about 50. about the most accurate form of BF measurement you can get.

great for tracking progress. get one at the start of your weight loss journey and when you hit your goal you will be able to tell exactly how much fat you lost and muscle gained.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I used a couple of different online calculators, and then had myself actually tested at the hospital's community service center. They used the scale that measures with electrical impulses (I think). Not sure what it is called. BUT the online calculators and the machine were VERY close.

Anything that isn't a dexa scan is inaccurate unfortunately. All can be off due to hydration levels.

The only other method I would go with other than a dexa scan is getting someone who knows what they are doing looking at me and giving me a good estimate but they are few and far between.

Online calculators can be off if you are "out of proportion"....ie wider hips
    Calipers are prone to human error and error due to hydration
    same with any scale you step on, bod pod etc...

I have found online ones are useful for tracking downward trends (if you are losing weight) but again are off.

Based on online calculators I am 25%...but based on looking at photos of other people (woman) I feel I am probably closer to 23%...and if my butt wasn't big that's what the online calculators would say too...
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Anything that isn't a dexa scan is inaccurate unfortunately. All can be off due to hydration levels.

The only other method I would go with other than a dexa scan is getting someone who knows what they are doing looking at me and giving me a good estimate but they are few and far between.

Online calculators can be off if you are "out of proportion"....ie wider hips
    Calipers are prone to human error and error due to hydration
    same with any scale you step on, bod pod etc...

I have found online ones are useful for tracking downward trends (if you are losing weight) but again are off.

Based on online calculators I am 25%...but based on looking at photos of other people (woman) I feel I am probably closer to 23%...and if my butt wasn't big that's what the online calculators would say too...

FYI This is why they make you fast before a bod pod measurement. The same should be done before any kind of body fat assessment. Online calculators and pictures are probably the least accurate -- see my post above.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    im at 32% .Went in the Bod Pod on Sunday. will get to down 8-12% depends on my muscle mass.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg

Looks similar to the picture to me. healthy, and fit but not a lot of muscle definition.
  • cudzsin
    cudzsin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    9-10%
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I started at 35, I was at 30 4 weeks ago...looking to get to 20-22 eventually