What is your goal BF%?

Options

Replies

• Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    Currently at 17% and want to at least get to 15%. 13% would be awesome!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Even at 22% BF, I will weigh approximately 170 lbs.
    That's about 21 pounds heavier than the BMI scale tells me I should be.
    More lean tissue = more definition = higher BMR = eating more food to maintain goal weight (as we all are aware). :smile:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'll know it when I get there, I just want to be at the point where I feel comfortable in my body again. I got to as low as 24% last spring and it was close-but-not-quite there and I think my ideal is somewhere in the 18-22% range.

The "after" photo in my profile picture is from last March, I was probably around 26%. I had some rough times and went on a hiatus from MFP for a while. Then I went in one of those dunk tanks in February and it was 29%. I suspect it's down to 28% now.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did a little looking around, and it seems that a healthy BF% for me (at 50) would be somewhere between 23 and 30 percent.

This, however, is a terrific web page, showing pictures of real bodies at different weight percentages. Great visual aid. I think I'd be very happy with 25-27%.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    Ultimate BF% Goal is 12% by the skinfold test or 18% by DXA. While I still have quite a ways to go, I have lost about 25 pounds in the last 5 months doing heavy lifting, HIIT, some cardio, and watching my diet carefully.
  • jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I may eventually go get a DXA/DEXA test done, but for now, I just use age, height, weight, measurements, etc. with online calculators, I've gotten between 28-32%, so I go by my withings scale, at 29.5% currently, which is within the online ranges. As long as mine goes down, for now I'm shooting for 20% as a goal. When I get there, I will probably want to go down to 15-18% and then re-evaluate how I look. Basically, you gotta make you happy. So pick a number, go after it, and when you get there, if your still not 100% happy, work toward another number :)
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In my experience losing weight & body fat from 200 lbs/30% BF, any discussion of body fat needs to be tied to overall weight and muscular definition in the lean mass.

For me, I can be 147 lbs/15% BF without working out and I look "scrawny and skinny" or I can be 153 lbs/15% BF and be lifting weights and look "athletic and healthy".

I'm a 51 year-old male currently at 154 & 16.4 BF and my goal is to be around 150 lbs/15% BF with muscle definition!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Currently I am aiming for less than 30% last time was three months ago and I was 36%
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did everyone here get their BF% figures? I have read that there are a number of methods, but it sounds like most are estimates prone to inaccuracy unless you go in to a facility and use specialized equipment.

I just wanted a rough estimate of mine, so I used two online calculators based on body measurements (YMCA and Navy methods) which gave me 42% and 45%, plus I have a scale that used the electric current method, which of course fluctuates wildly but usually reads between 42% and 45%, too.

I used a couple of different online calculators, and then had myself actually tested at the hospital's community service center. They used the scale that measures with electrical impulses (I think). Not sure what it is called. BUT the online calculators and the machine were VERY close.

Anything that isn't a dexa scan is inaccurate unfortunately. All can be off due to hydration levels.

The only other method I would go with other than a dexa scan is getting someone who knows what they are doing looking at me and giving me a good estimate but they are few and far between.

Online calculators can be off if you are "out of proportion"....ie wider hips
    Calipers are prone to human error and error due to hydration
    same with any scale you step on, bod pod etc...

I have found online ones are useful for tracking downward trends (if you are losing weight) but again are off.

Based on online calculators I am 25%...but based on looking at photos of other people (woman) I feel I am probably closer to 23%...and if my butt wasn't big that's what the online calculators would say too...

FYI This is why they make you fast before a bod pod measurement. The same should be done before any kind of body fat assessment. Online calculators and pictures are probably the least accurate -- see my post above.

Pics with qualified people I would trust over any online calculator or scale ...there are folks here who do it and are very accurate with their estimations based on comparisons to actual dexa scans.

You need more than one pic you need at least 6...front relaxed, front flexed, back relaxed, back flexed, side flexed, side relaxed.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The dexa is clearly the best, but you can maximize the accuracy of your BF scale by checking it first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't trust those pictures at all, personally.

I was at 22% last time I checked, I'd like to get down to 20, mostly I want to lose the fat I have left on my hips at this point (belly is loose skin so it's hopeless). I figure my last 4 pounds should take care of it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    In my experience losing weight & body fat from 200 lbs/30% BF, any discussion of body fat needs to be tied to overall weight and muscular definition in the lean mass.

For me, I can be 147 lbs/15% BF without working out and I look "scrawny and skinny" or I can be 153 lbs/15% BF and be lifting weights and look "athletic and healthy".

I'm a 51 year-old male currently at 154 & 16.4 BF and my goal is to be around 150 lbs/15% BF with muscle definition!

Agreed...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    The dexa is clearly the best, but you can maximize the accuracy of your BF scale by checking it first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.

I don't agree I had one of those and it told me I was 33.5% BF when in fact I was 25%...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There are many posts regarding "ideal" weight or goal weight. I'm not focused on a number on the scale, but rather a BF%. My immediate goal is a BF% of 35%. (I'm currently at 43.2%, started a 56+%). 35% puts me at the high end of the "healthy" range for my age. My ultimate goal is 28%, the mid range of healthy.

What's your goal BF% and why?

Yeah I picked an arbitrary weight to join the crowd with a ticker on my posts just because but my real goal is percent bodyfat and I don't care that much what my scale weight is.

I'm aiming for 15% at first before moving into higher calories to try to add a bit of muscle. If my body recomps down to lower bodyfat during that time great, if not and I stay 15% or add some fat I will cut later to try to get down to say 10 or 12%. Might even go lower temporarily just for curiosity but I don't think there is much point in staying sub 10% bodyfat.

My profile picture is me three years ago when I hit 15% bodyfat then messed it up by ignoring my fitness for the past three years.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I don't agree I had one of those and it told me I was 33.5% BF when in fact I was 25%...

Yeah, you can maximize the usefulness of a bodyfat scale by using it as a coaster or a trivet. Doesn't take much thought to see why electrical impedance is not a good way to measure body composition.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    22-25% for me. Below 22% and I start to lose major boobage, and I like my boobs.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did everyone here get their BF% figures?

Got a DEXA scan. check google for your area, i found a sports clinic on groupon doing them for 25 bucks. but you can find them usually for about 50. about the most accurate form of BF measurement you can get.

great for tracking progress. get one at the start of your weight loss journey and when you hit your goal you will be able to tell exactly how much fat you lost and muscle gained.

I need to find a local place for this as calipers give me 23-27% range and the scale says 35% haha handheld says 24% gotta love massively unbalanced body.

My goal is 22% or so give or take since I carry it all on my lower body.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    First aim is to get sub 20% but I think my eventual goal is to get to 15% but thats a way off.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg

Yeah, wow. I would have guessed that was much closer to 20-22% rather than 25%. I feel better about my 22-25% goal, though maybe it will be more like 25-27%. Thanks for sharing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ps. I wanted to show people what 25% body fat looks like on my frame. Just proof that those "body fat by pictures" things are not particularly informative.

r2tcvoMl.jpg

Yeah, wow. I would have guessed that was much closer to 20-22% rather than 25%. I feel better about my 22-25% goal, though maybe it will be more like 25-27%. Thanks for sharing.

I would ask where that 25% comes from first...