Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here we go again hating PF. If you don't like it, DON'T GO! I like it it for being a "non-gym" that you all think it is and serving pizza one night a month. Oh yeah, they do that to keep all of us that go there real fat. Oh, they don't force it down my throat either. Yes, PF is a "non-gym" and they should all be closed. Oh yeah, damn it, I was there this morning and had a Tootsie Roll on the way out. What a bad thing for a gym to do. Shame on them.

who exactly hated on planet fitness though? The OP didn't express an opinion about it...

In truth, I was being a little more "meta". The gif was a comment on Planet Fitness threads rather than the gym itself.

anatomy of PF threads:

1. someone posts an article about planet fitness

2. all the lunks (and I consider myself a lunk) post about why they don't like planet fitness

3. all the planet fitness regulars post about how great planet fitness is

3.5 someone posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

4. the planet fitness regulars get angry with the lunks for disliking planet fitness without ever having been there

5. the lunks point out that their opinion comes from the anti-lunk ads that come from planet fitness's very own marketing department

5.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

6. at least 1 lunk posts about how someone set off the lunk alarm because they grunted and/or dropped a weight and/or did a deadlift and/or looked pretty and how embarrassed and ashamed they felt

6.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

7 at least 1 planet fitness regular posts about how they've gone there for 10 years and never once heard the lunk alarm even though they have free weights and big burly guys grunt and deadlift with them all the time

8. several planet fitness regulars post about how "gymtimidated" they feel in other gyms and how they feel safe in planet fitness

8.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

9. several lunks post about how welcoming their meat head gym is to everyone and how obese people becoming regulars and getting in shape brings tears of joy to their eyes

9.5 someone else posts about how hypocritical it is to call yourself a judgement free zone and then call people lunks and have a lunk alarm

10. several other lunks state that "gymtimidation" is in the person's own mind and that everyone feels this to begin with and it's something that you just have to get over then you realise that people in meat head gyms are actually really nice people who just happen to like lifting heavy things and look super-hot for it

11. repeat until flame war ensues and the mods come and close the thread

Beautiful :laugh:

You forgot the price debate, how many "lunks" work out at home and possibly a complaint about how difficult it is to cancel membership.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you, neandermagnon

My shepard's pie is now all over my computer screen.

Oh...and you forgot...

12. At least one person posts a pic of pizza or bagels.

13. And someone calls it Planet Fatness, because they want you to stay fat eating the pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls. :drinker:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM crab.....wait, wut?

Drunken-Alaska-King-Crab-Legs_04_mini.jpg
  • Just_Sha
    Just_Sha Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness. I have heard the "lunk" alarm almost daily, but it is always because someone dropped the weights.

But my location is full of muscle heads.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Just curious, for those of you who work out at home, how much did you invest in your equipment? I would much rather do that, but I don't think it would be very economical.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    it-crowd-the-rest-of-the-fire.gif
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    WTF is Planet Fitness?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I don't like Golds Gym. As a result, I don't go there or start threads about it.
    I don't like Jazzercise. As a result, I don't do it or start threads about it.
    I don't like crunchy peanut butter. As a result, I don't eat it or start threads about it.
    I don't like unicycles. As a result, I don't rude one or start threads about it,

But, it does seam that people who don't like Planet Fitness LOVE to start threads about it.
    I wonder why that is?
    Maybe they feed off negetivity?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just curious, for those of you who work out at home, how much did you invest in your equipment? I would much rather do that, but I don't think it would be very economical.

I do progressive body weight exercises. Plates, though, are dirt cheap. Like 68 cents a pound. A door way pull up bar is like $50.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I don't like Golds Gym. As a result, I don't go there or start threads about it.
    I don't like crunchy peanut butter. As a result, I don't eat it or start threads about it.
    I don't like unicycles. As a result, I don't rude one or start threads about it,

But, it does seam that people who don't like Planet Fitness LOVE to start threads about it.
    I wonder why that is?

Haaa. Yes.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it's because Planet Fitness is the only one of the above that has an extremely controversial advertising campaign that paints fit, health conscious people as "lunks" and made it clear they're not welcome at their "not-a-gym", and people don't like being stereotyped and characterised that way or made to feel unwelcome. What would the reaction be if another gym made ads that painted out of shape people as "fatties" and made them feel that they'll never be welcome at their gyms? You don't think people would complain about that?

Also, it always amazes me when people complain about people complaining about Planet Fitness, because this kind of thread/discussion is exactly what Planet Fitness's marketing department wants. It greatly increases awareness of their brand. That is why companies do controversial advertising campaigns... they want to offend people and get a huge dumpster-fire debate going on, and this goes viral and hey, millions of people have now heard of their brand and plenty of people who are in their intended market then go and take a look at their local planet fitness. And even quite a few of the offended people find out that the gym only charges ten dollars a month and decide to join anyway for the cheap price even if they don't agree with company's marketing.

If you don't like the fact that there's a big controversial dumpster-fire debate going on about planet fitness then go complain to their marketing department, because they started it in full knowledge of what they're doing and it's exactly what they want. People who don't like controversy can go join a less controversial gym.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I always thought the "lunks" were the ones that grunt with every rep and look around to see if people were watching and crap like that. More of a mindset rather than a physical look.

This being said, I've never stepped foot into a Planet Fitness.

Although I did go to a gym where they specifically stated "you can grunt all you want, we aren't going to sound a lunk alarm." LOL
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I do progressive body weight exercises. Plates, though, are dirt cheap. Like 68 cents a pound. A door way pull up bar is like $50.

I don't think I even paid $50 for my bar. I got it in the "as seen on tv" section at CVS. I bought a 40 lb set of dumbbells at Wal Mart (20 lbs each), and ordered extra plates as I needed them, including four 1.25 lb plates. I don't have a bench, so I use an aerobic step, but really you can press on the floor.
  • lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love PF. Folks are so wrapped up into themselves, no one notices me creepin' with my camera phone on record.

giphy.gif
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I always thought the "lunks" were the ones that grunt with every rep and look around to see if people were watching and crap like that. More of a mindset rather than a physical look.

This being said, I've never stepped foot into a Planet Fitness.

Although I did go to a gym where they specifically stated "you can grunt all you want, we aren't going to sound a lunk alarm." LOL

The Planet Fitness advertising includes anybody who has a passion for what they do: Zumba, yoga, you name it.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I don't think I even paid $50 for my bar. I got it in the "as seen on tv" section at CVS. I bought a 40 lb set of dumbbells at Wal Mart (20 lbs each), and ordered extra plates as I needed them, including four 1.25 lb plates. I don't have a bench, so I use an aerobic step, but really you can press on the floor.

Mireygal made a squat rack out of six 2x4s set in concrete inside two 5-gallon buckets.

You can also get pretty far with resistance bands, as long as you have a good program.
  • nurit1979
    nurit1979 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There's always inexpensive videos like 30 day shred, etc.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Mireygal made a squat rack out of six 2x4s set in concrete inside two 5-gallon buckets.

You can also get pretty far with resistance bands, as long as you have a good program.

She did, I forgot about that! I wish I had a place to put a rack, but my boy dog would just think it was something else to pee on.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am not a lunk...But I do work hard.

My beef with planet fitness is not what I have seen in a planet fitness because Ive never been to one; more so what planet fitness has told me via their own commercials.

Showing a lady working hard in a group fitness class, and OMG SWEATING!!! Then Showing the fun social hour taking place at planet fitness where people feel comfortable, Not exercising. Then Denigrating the sweaty lady who is kicking butt!

That shows me all I need to know about planet fitness.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Can I see your beef?