How do you measure ice cream?

Options
13»

Replies

• MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Always with the scale.

Most of the ice cream I eat is 125 grams or 1/2 cup. If you were to compare 125 grams in a bowl to 1/2 cup in a bowl you would ALWAYS use the scale. Way more ice cream to eat! :bigsmile:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    You eat the whole thing. Only way to be sure you're being accurate enough. If you don't want a scale and don't want to use measuring cups (which those I can agree are very inaccurate for solids)

Your profile picture! :love:

And yup. I mean pints are single servings, right? :laugh:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to measure it out, you could buy the little individual serving size cups like what many use at birthday parties.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I eat ice cream, it's Ben & Jerry's. Half a pint = 2 servings, so it's usually between 450 and 550 calories. (Obviously I didn't eat this when I was trying to lose; but I can have it sometimes now that I'm on maintenance.)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Place container on food scale.
    Step 2: Read nutrition label. Note servings per container and calories per serving.
    Step 3: Insert spoon into container.
    Step 4: Pull out spoon containing ice cream.
    Step 5: Nom.
    Step 6: Repeat steps 3-5 until container is empty.
    Step 7: Multiply servings per container by calories per serving.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food scale, either. Nor do I have money to buy one at this time. :sad:

I'm new to measuring food, but can't you just use a measuring cup like you do when measuring sugar or flour (also solids) for a recipe? Just pack it in there and make sure the top is flattened (nothing sticking out). After all, the nutrition facts on the box measure by the cup. I know they're allowed to be off by up to 20% or something like that, so just make sure you realize that when you're logging. Not as accurate as a food scale, but at least it's something relatively close. :flowerforyou:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Yes I can see that dry solids like sugar or flour could be measured by the cup - you can't pack more or less to to the cup so there won't be variation.
    I imagine even recipes that call for a cup of sugar or flour still call for butter etc by weight not by cup.

semi solids or moist solids or solids with malleability, like ice cream or chopped fruit - cups are very open to variation in a way that weights are not.

Ps I understand finances are tight for you - but have you checked prices of food scales? - they are quite cheap.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have, and will most likely never have a food scale. I know they are extremely helpful, I just don't have the time, and am not looking to lose very much more weight (pretty much reached my goal). Is there any other way to measure it?

Seriously, food scales are inexpensive and it takes barely a few seconds longer to pop the tub on the scale and remove the amount you want.

But if you're happy with your weight then stick to eye-balling. If weight goes up then your portions are too big.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You eat the whole thing. Only way to be sure you're being accurate enough. If you don't want a scale and don't want to use measuring cups (which those I can agree are very inaccurate for solids)

Your profile picture! :love:

And yup. I mean pints are single servings, right? :laugh:

I always thought so. Shame that's all my calories for the day, but it's still a serving, darn it. I mean, just look at them, they're the perfect size to sit down with and dig a spoon into!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I buy them in single serve 100 ml pack.do not store family packs anymore.
    I'm from India