Cat needs a fitness pal

Options

Replies

• mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    Maybe he needs to try water walking/jogging?

e1crc.gif

put Boogie in the water. Please, I am too young to die...
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Spray bottle with water. Squirt when he exhibits unwanted behavior (camping by the fridge, yowling.) It won't stop it completely, but it might lessen it a bit. (We have a very vocal cat too. She whines and yowls. Thankfully squirts from the water bottle got her to chillax. At least at night. She's still a loudmouth when she sees us. She also drools when we pet her. Weirdo.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

e1crc.gif

What about aerobics with an exercise ball?

0f3289868968fab37.gif
  • mslovecats
    Options
    Spray bottle with water. Squirt when he exhibits unwanted behavior (camping by the fridge, yowling.) It won't stop it completely, but it might lessen it a bit. (We have a very vocal cat too. She whines and yowls. Thankfully squirts from the water bottle got her to chillax. At least at night. She's still a loudmouth when she sees us. She also drools when we pet her. Weirdo.)

WOW!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will do this tonight. Words can't express my gratitude - maybe I will have a relatively peaceful night's sleep.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: After talking to my mother on the phone, it was decided that Boogie gets to go to another vet, who also happens to be a nutritionist. The cat will be tortured for blood analysis, and we will find out what he is lacking! Will update on the results.
    Good luck with your balls of fur(y), everyone!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    You should know this:

Cats Do Control Humans, Study Finds

If you've ever wondered who's in control, you or your cat, a new study points to the obvious. It's your cat.

Household cats exercise this control with a certain type of urgent-sounding, high-pitched meow, according to the findings.

This meow is actually a purr mixed with a high-pitched cry. While people usually think of cat purring as a sign of happiness, some cats make this purr-cry sound when they want to be fed. The study showed that humans find these mixed calls annoying and difficult to ignore.

"The embedding of a cry within a call that we normally associate with contentment is quite a subtle means of eliciting a response," said Karen McComb of the University of Sussex. "Solicitation purring is probably more acceptable to humans than overt meowing, which is likely to get cats ejected from the bedroom."

The results were published in the July 14 issue of the journal Current Biology.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    If the exercise ball isn't ideal...

How about climbing?

dd32e_259_ee4a85f6_edee97cf.jpg

Yoga?
    yoga1.gif

Treadmill?
    treadmill_cat.gif
    fitness-matters-in-the-feline-world-too.gif

Boxing?
    boxing-day.gif
    132759.gif
    Boxing_542579_451050.gif

Miscellaneous
    gif-cats-fitness-892241.gif

And now and again, they can get a massage to help with DOMS
    cat-massage.gif

With increased activity, they'll be able to fit in pizza once in awhile too!
    CFSwHdq.gif

Best of luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • mslovecats
    Options

e1crc.gif

What about aerobics with an exercise ball?

0f3289868968fab37.gif

Only if it's a meat ball. Boogie only does exercises for his jaw muscles. His jaws lock like those of a pitbull - scary to watch.
  • mslovecats
    Options
    You should know this:

Cats Do Control Humans, Study Finds

If you've ever wondered who's in control, you or your cat, a new study points to the obvious. It's your cat.

Household cats exercise this control with a certain type of urgent-sounding, high-pitched meow, according to the findings.

This meow is actually a purr mixed with a high-pitched cry. While people usually think of cat purring as a sign of happiness, some cats make this purr-cry sound when they want to be fed. The study showed that humans find these mixed calls annoying and difficult to ignore.

"The embedding of a cry within a call that we normally associate with contentment is quite a subtle means of eliciting a response," said Karen McComb of the University of Sussex. "Solicitation purring is probably more acceptable to humans than overt meowing, which is likely to get cats ejected from the bedroom."

The results were published in the July 14 issue of the journal Current Biology.

That's exactly what's been happening here. Anyway, I am concerned and will take him to this vet-nutritionist guy who will test the cat for vitamins, minerals and whatnot
  • mslovecats
    Options

How about climbing?

Yoga?
    yoga1.gif

Treadmill?
    treadmill_cat.gif

Boxing?
    boxing-day.gif
    132759.gif
    Boxing_542579_451050.gif

Miscellaneous

cat-massage.gif

CFSwHdq.gif

thanks. I will actually ask my coach if he can let my cat use his treadmill. But I don't think it will work - still it might be fun to watch. If it works, I will consider buying it, though i don't yet know where to put it. Wish they had smaller treadmills designed specifically for cats. The problem with Boogie is that he needs motivation, and his only motivation is unfortunately.... you got it.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    I have moved this topic to chit-chat.

h7F8CF30A
  • PikaKnight
    Options

How about climbing?

Yoga?
    yoga1.gif

Treadmill?
    treadmill_cat.gif

Boxing?
    boxing-day.gif
    132759.gif
    Boxing_542579_451050.gif

Miscellaneous

cat-massage.gif

CFSwHdq.gif

thanks. I will actually ask my coach if he can let my cat use his treadmill. But I don't think it will work - still it might be fun to watch. If it works, I will consider buying it, though i don't yet know where to put it. Wish they had smaller treadmills designed specifically for cats. The problem with Boogie is that he needs motivation, and his only motivation is unfortunately.... you got it.

They do have smaller treadmills designed for cats and dogs.

dog-treadmill-for-sale-cheap.jpg
  • brittanyreneelove
    Options
    OKAY, I've read 2 pages of posts on here. All these people are screwing with you. Feed your cat CAT FOOD. It's dehydrated, ground human food. Don't measure his height, just track his weight. feed him half a cup of dry cat food in the morning, and a tin of wet catfood at night. I saw that you're afraid of parasites, animals have natural defenses to things like that, and if you're taking him to the vet when he needs to be taken then there should be no problems. You're a germaphobe and it's going to kill your cat.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I have moved this topic to chit-chat.

h7F8CF30A

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mslovecats
    Options

How about climbing?

Yoga?
    yoga1.gif

Treadmill?
    treadmill_cat.gif

Boxing?
    boxing-day.gif
    132759.gif
    Boxing_542579_451050.gif

Miscellaneous

cat-massage.gif

CFSwHdq.gif

They do have smaller treadmills designed for cats and dogs.

dog-treadmill-for-sale-cheap.jpg

I feel it could be too small for Boogie - he might just ignore it. On the other hand, he may confuse a large treadmill for a conveyor belt sushi.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    OKAY, I've read 2 pages of posts on here. All these people are screwing with you. Feed your cat CAT FOOD. It's dehydrated, ground human food. Don't measure his height, just track his weight. feed him half a cup of dry cat food in the morning, and a tin of wet catfood at night. I saw that you're afraid of parasites, animals have natural defenses to things like that, and if you're taking him to the vet when he needs to be taken then there should be no problems. You're a germaphobe and it's going to kill your cat.

No, no, no. The only way is to accurately track calories in vs. calories out. We need to measure BMR and TDEE and figure out a reasonable deficit for Boogie. How can we do that if we don't have his measurements? Or if we don't know exactly how many mice he's eating a day? Magic??
  • mslovecats
    Options

Hi!
    Many thanks for a meaningful answer. I will consider adding raw food to his diet (if you can call it that). However, I read about cat food that they put god only knows what crap in it. Some pet food even contains real excrement. I read many stories where people talk about cat food, and how it has affected their cats. I am too afraid of it. It seems more dangerous than eating GMOs only.
    Again, thanks for your reply.
    Cheers
  • mslovecats
    Options

No, no, no. The only way is to accurately track calories in vs. calories out. We need to measure BMR and TDEE and figure out a reasonable deficit for Boogie. How can we do that if we don't have his measurements? Or if we don't know exactly how many mice he's eating a day? Magic??

Hi!
    thanks for all your replies. How do I measure his height? Or do I measure his length (with or without tail)? How do I measure calories out? The cat does not do much all day long. Theoretically, how many calories does a cat burn during the day if he is mainly resting?
    thanks in advance
    p.s. love your avatar btw. Boogie would have loved it too, if he could avert his gaze from the fridge for once
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I think you meant to post this on meowfitnesspal. That site helped my Mittens lose 10 pounds - would highly recommend.

and try the laser light training stimulators...

oh and as boogie is obviously long haired, you have to weigh him naled in the morning, the best way to do that is shave the cat before bed , so in the morning he has evicted all the hair balls leftover from his internal organs ,

ETA oh you dont have to be naked to weigh him, just the cat.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I think you meant to post this on meowfitnesspal. That site helped my Mittens lose 10 pounds - would highly recommend.

and try the laser light training stimulators...

oh and as boogie is obviously long haired, you have to weigh him naled in the morning, the best way to do that is shave the cat before bed , so in the morning he has evicted all the hair balls leftover from his internal organs ,

ETA oh you dont have to be naked to weigh him, just the cat.

Lmao. Best quote of the thread.
  • reverendzor
    reverendzor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just in case this is a semi serious post :-)

I built the equivalent of MFP into a google docs spreadsheet (i.e. excel), believe it or not, for our older dog! She was rather overweight and needed to loose at least 5 lbs before going in for Anterior Cruciate Ligament surgery (she was 105lbs at the time and they wanted her below 100lbs). The Vets said her goal weight should be around 80lbs, but due to her injuries she was/is unable to add much in the way of physical activity to loose weight. So I decided to apply what I learned from my own experiences on MFP and count calories for her :-)

Of course MFP did not have dog foods in it, and canine/feline metabolisms are a bit different from humans, but the info is documented and out there, and most kcal values of most pet foods can be found on their manufacturer websites.

It worked rather well and she is now a trim 80lbs, and the Vet cannot believe we applied the same logic/tools we used to loose weight towards out dog.

Here is a link to the tool I built, feel free to use it for your cat (canine/feline calculations were the same)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmzqlnXMmvVbdFFIMnY2UXZoNll1ZGw2R0tvSFh6Vmc&usp=sharing
    Capture.JPG

NOTE: Pet food is some of the most calorie dense stuff out there from what I have seen! 1 cup of the BLUE Healthy Weight Chicken and Brown Rice dog food that I feed my dog is 410 calories, while a large treat (Geenies) is 145 calories! Cat food is no better mind you, with the dry food coming in right around the 450 calorie mark per cup as well (wet food about 200 calories a can).

My little girl after her 25lb weight loss.
    1970489_749412565077689_975136596_n.jpg