Low Carb or No Carb … pros and cons of either?

Options

Replies

• redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veg have carbs. So "no carb" is not a practical diet plan.

Seriously.

One of the paleo bloggers really tried for some crazy thing like < 2 grams a day, and he ended up with some bizarre medical numbers in the end.

Also, seriously, no one ever got fat on zucchini. Don't hate on squash. :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I support you completely. I apologize for the jerks who feel the necessity to be mean. For me, carbs are poison. I stick with carbs in the form of vegetables and berries only. I also eat a few almonds, but they can get out of control for me if I eat too many. So essentially, I eat a lot of wild caught cold water fish, free range chicken, grass fed beef, organic vegetables and eggs. I keep my balance at 10% carbs, 40% protein and 50% fats in the form of cream, butter, olive oil, avacados, and cheese. I hope you will read all the good info on the web. If you have issues with white food like I do, this is your answer. Good luck~!

I don't think telling her that she can sensibly eat carbs and still lose is weight makes us jerks.

I try to keep mine below 200 but I don't always manage that...since I have lost 67lbs to date obviously carbs are not poison to everyone.

What do you think calling us jerks and mean is??? Being nice???

I have no problem with people going low carb...i even tried it for a couple of weeks...it just didn't work for me...nothing that I could live with long term. What I have a problem with is people "thinking" that is the only way to lose weight.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You might also look into a diabetic diet. I keep my carbs at an even level throughout the day, generally 20-30 grams per meal. I'm losing weight, and I have more energy now than ever before.

This isn't always the most supportive place, well, it is supportive if people believe what you're doing is right (read: they agree with you) so don't sweat it. Low/no carb reallllllllly seems to upset the "no food left behind" people.

I will gladly leave cottage cheese and boiled okra behind...plus a few other things. Other than those I eat fairly much everything.

I agree however...if someone is misinformed...I would rather help them than to just support them in that misinformation.

LOL I do however like your terminology..."no food left behind" people! I do try to eat ALL my calories at the end of the day...I usually try and clean my plate. I do however fail at that sometimes.
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I certainly didn't mean to insult anyone. I am all for everyone doing what works. I just felt she was being attacked and I wanted to be supportive. And carbs are definitely my kyrptonite. I'm really so sorry I offended you. I really didn't mean you were a jerk. I wish you good luck, no matter what you choose as your protocol. :-)
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    I cannot get this right!
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    just the right amount of carb from right foods such as fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread etc.
    Your body's primary source of energy is carbohydrates, if you do not get enough your body assumes that something is wrong and your metabolism gets hurt.

Another thing - your brain can only work on glucose!.. You have to get carbsss! Otherwise you push your metabolism -
  • HaleyOConnor
    Options
    My husband and I did South beach for a few months. We did have good results, but we gained everything back and more.

I didn't feel good on it...I felt super heavy all the time. BUT my aunt and cousin swear by it. They have been living South Beach for 2 years...they get a little lax at times, and then they just start fresh!

You can always try it and see if it works for you! I don't think there's a right or wrong! We worked with a nutritionist, and we had our carbs at breakfast and lunch...dinner was usually low carb.
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    My husband and I did South beach for a few months. We did have good results, but we gained everything back and more.

I didn't feel good on it...I felt super heavy all the time. BUT my aunt and cousin swear by it. They have been living South Beach for 2 years...they get a little lax at times, and then they just start fresh!

You can always try it and see if it works for you! I don't think there's a right or wrong! We worked with a nutritionist, and we had our carbs at breakfast and lunch...dinner was usually low carb.

I wish there was a "like" button here.
  • jodyblanchard
    Options
    I support you completely. I apologize for the jerks who feel the necessity to be mean. For me, carbs are poison. I stick with carbs in the form of vegetables and berries only. I also eat a few almonds, but they can get out of control for me if I eat too many. So essentially, I eat a lot of wild caught cold water fish, free range chicken, grass fed beef, organic vegetables and eggs. I keep my balance at 10% carbs, 40% protein and 50% fats in the form of cream, butter, olive oil, avacados, and cheese. I hope you will read all the good info on the web. If you have issues with white food like I do, this is your answer. Good luck~!

I don't think telling her that she can sensibly eat carbs and still lose is weight makes us jerks.

I try to keep mine below 200 but I don't always manage that...since I have lost 67lbs to date obviously carbs are not poison to everyone.

What do you think calling us jerks and mean is??? Being nice???

I have no problem with people going low carb...i even tried it for a couple of weeks...it just didn't work for me...nothing that I could live with long term. What I have a problem with is people "thinking" that is the only way to lose weight.

I apologize...I was the rude one. :-(
  • birkona
    birkona Posts: 24
    Options
    Eat whole wheat or multi grain bread. Don't eat the white stuff. I find that white carbs make me feel bloated. And I keep my carbs early in the day. After breakfast or lunch, I don't bother eating carbs. But than again, I usually workout in the morning.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    just the right amount of carb from right foods such as fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread etc.
    Your body's primary source of energy is carbohydrates, if you do not get enough your body assumes that something is wrong and your metabolism gets hurt.

Another thing - your brain can only work on glucose!.. You have to get carbsss! Otherwise you push your metabolism -

Have any peer-reviewed studies to back up your claims?
  • camoani
    camoani Posts: 14
    Options
    so Instead of ridiculing me with pointless a meme why not share some info that may be beneficial? I'm on this forum because I'm trying to learn if you have some advice you would like to share I'm ready to listen. I don't have the time for condescending remarks, comments or memes

I've sent you some information. Send me a message if you have any questions. I have no idea why the remarks were so condescending. Not everyone's like that on this site.
  • SimoneNinan
    SimoneNinan Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm going to sound like an idiot, but when you say 'eat at a deficit', do you mean eat LESS than what MFP says to eat? By how much?
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    Low carb works, I'm doin it now according to book 4-Hr Body. The book is not so focused on counting calories. No carb will make you sick.
  • burbgirl
    burbgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had the most success loosing weight when I cut out most carbs. Mostly limiting good carbs. I stopped eating pasta's of all kinds, I found it really hard to control the amount's I was eating. I allow myself Carbs for breakfast which is usually a good whole grain bread, I totally gave up crackers, chips. I started reading alot about carbs and reading labels on the boxe's of all foods, it was very enlightening to say the least, but gave me a good idea what to cut out and down. It can also be a good weight to jump start weightloss! Best of luck to you!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've lost 53 lbs eating bagels, rice, ice cream, pizza, fast food, food...more food. I didn't eliminate anything. Did I make conscious decisions to pick more nutrient dense foods to meet my nutritional needs? Sure. Did I sometimes eat less of the tasty foods I enjoy? Sure. But I taught myself moderation and enjoyed myself along the way. Set myself up for after I reached my goal.

If you can live the rest of your life happily eliminating something from your diet. Go for it. But I have no intention of giving up foods I love forever. I'd rather balance them into my day and live happily ever with my Talenti pint ;P

This is an excellent answer. I haven't cut out anything either, though I tend not to eat fast food and I steer clear of the donuts in the faculty lounge at school. The mashed potatoes I ate today were particularly delicious.
  • LDMslim
    LDMslim Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a low carb lifestyle for 5 years and lost/kept off 50 lbs - from 185 to 135. I looked and felt wonderful and then I got overconfident.... When I started adding carbs back in (to eat "normal" again), I gained consistently and my blood sugar spiked. I just got back on track today after a year of trying to eat "normal" with a 33lb gain... It took a long time to get out of denial and give up fruit, dairy, and starch after I've gotten reacquainted with them. But low carb works wonderfully - you do feel fabulous and it's very easy to maintain - it really is a permanent lifestyle, however, not a short-term diet.
  • turningpoint1954
    turningpoint1954 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to get control of my diet...problem is I love to eat. I have lost 45 lbs (5 times!) Did the MRC diet but couldn't maintain the program...did the nutrisystem diet lost a lot of weight and muscle mass. Adkins...same result, gained the weight back within a year. Lost too much too fast.

Since joining Myfitnesspal I have lost 60+ pounds and have managed to keep it off. I have gained muscle, I can run a few miles, (10 k in about 66 minutes on the treadmill) and for the first time in 40 years, my chest is larger than my stomach and I wear a 30" waist size.

I eat oatmeal (no butter) with a protein supplement mixed in (trying to add a little more muscle) or egg whites, dry toast, black coffee for breakfast.
    I eat deli chicken or turkey or tuna for lunch...salads, usually no bread
    I fail my diet mostly in the evenings by eating too much and snacking too much...this is why I am struggling trying to lose my last 10 pounds or so.
    I usually eat fried fish (no breading and fried with a squirt of Spray Olive oil), baked fish, chicken breasts, tuna etc.
    sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots (what most diets call "free" vegetables)
    I was eating a lot of fruit but have recently tried to cut back. I always eat apples, melons, grapes, bananas, etc.
    I do weigh my food and log my food using fitnes pal. I feel great and look pretty good for 60. Recently ran the Tough Mudder.
    If you know the basics then you know what the bad food is. Simply exchange that for fruit and vegetables and like some other people said on this post...If calories in is smaller than calories burned you will be successful in the short run, but you have to make lifelong changes for it too last. BEST OF LUCK!
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The basics are simply: burn more than you consume. Many people think that means don't count carbs, fat, sugar, etc., and yes, you can diet and lose weight while only counting calories in/calories out.

Low carb is also an effective approach. Foods high in carbs and sugars have a higher glycemic index than foods higher in fat/protein, causing greater spikes in blood sugar (and spikes in insulin levels) and are associated with higher levels of obesity. Carbohydrates have the most profound impact on blood sugar. Reducing carbs helps keep blood sugar levels more stable which helps with dieting. There are several studies that have shown a slight advantage to low carb diets in both initial weight loss and maintaining weight, controlling for all other factors (e.g., calorie intake and exercise).

I personally eat a diet that is high in protein, so while I do not consciously cut carbs, I end up eating fewer carbs than most (around 60-70 grams per day, and consuming around 80-90 grams of protein per day).

*note - no matter what diet you choose, you do still have to burn more than you consume
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of No Carb, and it seems impossible because virtually every food except meat contains at least some carbs. Now, you're talking directly to IIFYM and calorie restrictive dieters on this site, so their method doesn't involve low carb, and their speciality, wisdom, and experience involved IIFYM and calorie restriction. That's awesome for them, but I think your question would be better asked to a low-carb group.

There's a group on FB called "Ketogenic Living" which I absolutely love and recommend.

Although you will need to come over to MFP for logging, and kitty gifs.