Husband dieting is disheartening!

Options
124»

Replies

• bluebull123
    bluebull123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The guy and the girl basically starve, but the girls always drop less weight. Just not fair, but I definitely don't want to be a dude (I wouldn't know what to do with a *kitten*). :noway:

I ALMOST CHOKED ON MY LUNCH
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Been there, and been very annoyed by it! Hubby started a month after I did and within 4-6 weeks had lost more pounds (total) than I had.

BUT I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off. I have to work for it, and that has side benefits. I improve my fitness level, heart/lung capacity/etc. I also have learned a lot, and these lessons will keep me successful as time goes on. Hubby, on the other hand, has consistency issues. He falls off track easily then has a hard time getting back up again. He's put back on 5-10 pounds and struggling to get going again while I steadily plod along.

He has put back on 5-10 pounds and is on the verge of losing again. But at the moment I've lost almost 30 to his 25. I feel steady and strong and think I'll hit my goal weight within a few months.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    aint it the truth!
    my husband could just watch what he's eating a little bit and drop weight.
    i track every morsel and lose 0.5 lbs lol
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are in this together and in the same period of time, he's lost 41 lbs to my 26.

Men have more muscle mass to start with and lose faster. I know you're upset because "it's so easy for him!" But no one ever said this would be easy. Just keep it up. Would you rather gain weight or lose weight? Think about that whenever you think weight loss happens too slow. Losing .5 lbs is better than gaining .5 lbs.

Turn that weight loss into a percent of total weight then compare percent bodymass lost. If men lose more scale weight than women its simply because most men weight more and if you weigh more then you lose more weight to change your total percent mass by the same amount.

For example a 260 pound guy is definitely going to lose weight faster than a 160 pound woman but that is because he is 260 pounds not because he is male.

Muscle does require more calorically to maintain than fat but not by very much actually, its a pretty small difference.

You're pretty much spot on, he started at 260 and I started at 176.

I just did the math: we've both lost about 15% of our bodyweight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are in this together and in the same period of time, he's lost 41 lbs to my 26.

Men have more muscle mass to start with and lose faster. I know you're upset because "it's so easy for him!" But no one ever said this would be easy. Just keep it up. Would you rather gain weight or lose weight? Think about that whenever you think weight loss happens too slow. Losing .5 lbs is better than gaining .5 lbs.

Turn that weight loss into a percent of total weight then compare percent bodymass lost. If men lose more scale weight than women its simply because most men weight more and if you weigh more then you lose more weight to change your total percent mass by the same amount.

For example a 260 pound guy is definitely going to lose weight faster than a 160 pound woman but that is because he is 260 pounds not because he is male.

Muscle does require more calorically to maintain than fat but not by very much actually, its a pretty small difference.

You're pretty much spot on, he started at 260 and I started at 176.

I just did the math: we've both lost about 15% of our bodyweight.

Hence the perception bias. Men might lose more "weight" by scale but that is because men are typically heavier. You break it down by percentage things tend to look more equal. I guessed your weight by going off that assumption and back calculating what your weights would be if that assumption was correct based on how much weight you said you had lost.

It is not any easier for men to lose weight than women. They might drop more pounds over a shorter period of time because they weigh more but by percent of their total mass its pretty much the same.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I am admittedly taken aback that so many women on here think its easier for men to lose weight than women.

No. Really....no.

If they lose weight faster its because their caloric deficit is larger which is likely because their TDEE is higher because they weigh more to begin with so TDEE - 20% is a larger deficit. Thats it. You break it down by percent total mass and its equivalent.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Be happy for your hubby, he's losing weight and becoming more healthy so that's a win-win. He'll need your help more once the lbs start dropping less quickly. He's not the competition, he's your next project.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It happens for every guy and every girl. Don't measure yourself against what anyone else is doing. It's your journey, not your journey +1. As long as you're doing what's right for your body, and you're losing weight at the optimum rate for your body, it doesn't matter.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am admittedly taken aback that so many women on here think its easier for men to lose weight than women.

No. Really....no.

If they lose weight faster its because their caloric deficit is larger which is likely because their TDEE is higher because they weigh more to begin with so TDEE - 20% is a larger deficit. Thats it. You break it down by percent total mass and its equivalent.

I never thought it was *easier* for men, I just thought they lost faster because of higher metabolism due to lean body mass.

Thanks for educating the ladies on this :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

No. Really....no.

I never thought it was *easier* for men, I just thought they lost faster because of higher metabolism due to lean body mass.

Thanks for educating the ladies on this :flowerforyou:

Oh I didn't mean to imply you specifically said it was easier, but that has definitely been said in here...multiple times and frankly its a bit insulting. Sorry if I came off as being lecturing but it just sort of flustered me, I wasn't expecting pretty much everyone to hop on the men lose weight faster band-wagon like that.

OP you should be happy for your husband, his weight loss just means he is getting healthier...it in no way reflects poorly on yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's all in the math....

When my wife and I started out on this wonderful little safari to health and wellness, I had about 50 Lbs to lose...she had maybe 10 or so cosmetic Lbs to lose...maybe. She had the same reaction when I started losing...thought it wasn't fair and oh how much easier it was for me. Fact was that when I was a big fat *kitten* I maintained my weight on around 3500 - 4000 calories. I cut out sodas and beer for a time of which my daily intake was roughly 1300 calories right there...so right off the bat I'm down to 2300 calories and a huge deficit from what my starting TDEE was...and yeah...I dropped quickly early on. But that doesn't mean "easy"...I was consuming 1300 calories less than what I was accustomed to consuming...for me to consume 1300 less calories than I'm used to is just as difficult as it is for a woman to consume 1300 calories less than she's used to....and guess what...I'm one hangry mo-fo on 2300 calories just as many women are on 1200 calories.

Like I said, I dropped weight pretty quick initially but leveled off just as fast...my body normalized to that pretty quickly and my TDEE normalized...which meant to continue losing I had to further restrict my calorie intake which is where I really got on board here with MFP...then I lost another 20 Lbs or so in about 6 months time and went to maintenance for awhile. I still have a pesky 10 Lbs to go and guess what...it's HARD...and SLOW...like I've lost about 3 Lbs in 6 weeks kind of slow. This is because my TDEE is far lower than it used to be and thus more difficult to create any kind of substantial calorie deficit without doing more harm than good.

OP...you should just be happy that you're not a big old fat *kitten* like I was...it goes faster at first, sure...but you're still a big old fat *kitten* for months. As a personal preference, I most definitely prefer looking pretty fit and feeling the part now and just taking my time losing these last few cosmetic Lbs vs when I was losing pretty quickly, but was still a big old fatty in the mirror.
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My guess is that he has more to lose than you do.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    your boyfriend is that much healthier, and probably even more attractive than he was.

that should be encouraging.

I love it when the person I love sets a healthy goal, works for it, and achieves it. It totally turns me on.

*note... I only added healthy.. because if the goal was to see how many pies he could eat in an hour... and spends weeks practicing... well that may not be AS much of a turn on.

Isnt this reaction normal? I see so many communications to the contrary. That is what is disheartening!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It's all in the math....

When my wife and I started out on this wonderful little safari to health and wellness, I had about 50 Lbs to lose...she had maybe 10 or so cosmetic Lbs to lose...maybe. She had the same reaction when I started losing...thought it wasn't fair and oh how much easier it was for me. Fact was that when I was a big fat *kitten* I maintained my weight on around 3500 - 4000 calories. I cut out sodas and beer for a time of which my daily intake was roughly 1300 calories right there...so right off the bat I'm down to 2300 calories and a huge deficit from what my starting TDEE was...and yeah...I dropped quickly early on. But that doesn't mean "easy"...I was consuming 1300 calories less than what I was accustomed to consuming...for me to consume 1300 less calories than I'm used to is just as difficult as it is for a woman to consume 1300 calories less than she's used to....and guess what...I'm one hangry mo-fo on 2300 calories just as many women are on 1200 calories.

Like I said, I dropped weight pretty quick initially but leveled off just as fast...my body normalized to that pretty quickly and my TDEE normalized...which meant to continue losing I had to further restrict my calorie intake which is where I really got on board here with MFP...then I lost another 20 Lbs or so in about 6 months time and went to maintenance for awhile. I still have a pesky 10 Lbs to go and guess what...it's HARD...and SLOW...like I've lost about 3 Lbs in 6 weeks kind of slow. This is because my TDEE is far lower than it used to be and thus more difficult to create any kind of substantial calorie deficit without doing more harm than good.

OP...you should just be happy that you're not a big old fat *kitten* like I was...it goes faster at first, sure...but you're still a big old fat *kitten* for months. As a personal preference, I most definitely prefer looking pretty fit and feeling the part now and just taking my time losing these last few cosmetic Lbs vs when I was losing pretty quickly, but was still a big old fatty in the mirror.

Yup this. I liken it in a way to my experience with weight lifting. You see a guy lifting 200 pounds when you can only lift 100 and you just assume that to him lifting 200 pounds feels like what lifting 100 pounds feels like to you. Then over time you get yourself to the point where you can lift 200 pounds also and when you get there you realize that no, actually, lifting 200 pounds feels about twice as hard as lifting 100 pounds (if not more) its just that now you can do it.

A heavy guy might have a huge TDEE that allows him to go to a huge deficit to lose weight quickly but as this poster said that 1000 calorie deficit going from a TDEE of 3000 to eating 2000 still feels every bit as difficult as a 1000 calorie deficit would to you going from maintaining at 2200 to eating 1200.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    your boyfriend is that much healthier, and probably even more attractive than he was.

that should be encouraging.

I love it when the person I love sets a healthy goal, works for it, and achieves it. It totally turns me on.

*note... I only added healthy.. because if the goal was to see how many pies he could eat in an hour... and spends weeks practicing... well that may not be AS much of a turn on.

Isnt this reaction normal? I see so many communications to the contrary. That is what is disheartening!

Yeah... It's pretty sad to see the whole "crab" mentality thing happening in marriages and relationships overall. One spouse / lover/ friend's success should be a celebration for both parties... not a sign that the "non-successful" spouse has failed. We shouldn't be pulling them back into our pot of misery... but rather reaching up to them to help us get out too. (Note: not claiming that this is the OP's case - just a general impression)

I want my SO to be successful, to meet their goals, to be the best person he can possibly be. I am not worried that he will leave me if he "gets there"... If he did decide to leave me, well then it wasn't right in the first place.

Just like I want my SO to support me in my drive to be better / faster / smarter / stronger. If I am better than I was... WE are better than we were.. If he is better than he was.... WE are better than we were.
  • Magoo065
    Magoo065 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started dieting together. He's lost 43 pounds, I've lost 18.5. It does get to me sometimes, too, and I get upset with myself for not losing even half what he's lost but then I remember:

1. He's AMAZING. He's just absolutely buckled down and dedicated himself to getting healthier and I can not tell you how happy that makes me. He's getting healthier so he'll be around longer.
    b. He's AMAZING. He exercises every day - more than I do, actually.
    III. He's AMAZING. He's totally focused on meeting his goal. He's going to lose another 7-10, then maintain for a few months, then get back at it. He's got a completely doable plan that he's stuck to this far, and considering how much he loves beer, I'm astounded at how well he's done.
    4) He weighed 110 pounds more than I did when we started, and he weighs 85ish pounds more than I do now. It takes a lot more energy to move that much more weight. It's natural that if he eats and exercises to his goal of losing 2-ish pounds per week, it's going to be a little easier for him because he naturally burns more energy than I do.

I get frustrated when he can eat more pizza than I can. I get frustrated when he can drink better beer than I can. I get frustrated when he can eat more ice cream than I can. But it all comes down to how much bigger he is and how much more he's exercising. Plus he's amazing and I just can't be mad at him. We encourage each other to meet our goals, and this is the most successful I've been on a diet since we met. So I try to remember these things about myself:

1. I'm only 15ish pounds away from my goal.
    b. I've done an AMAZING job of sticking to my diet.
    III. I can ride 35 miles on my bike right now, two MPH faster than my fastest ride last year. At the end of the fall last year, I was lucky to get to 30 miles after riding all spring/summer long. I'm making significant progress with my fitness.
    4) I weigh less now than I did when we met, and definitely less than I did when we got married. I'm healthier all around and I'm going to be around longer for him too.

Good luck. Try to shift your thinking from feeling upset to recognizing how successful you've been and how happy you are that he's getting healthy too.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Now if it makes OP feel better:

-My starting weight: 170; BMI: 24.9 - I'm 5'9.25"
    -Husband's starting weight: 240-245; BMI: 36.2 - He's 5'9" on a good day. His BMI is high but is very wide (broad back/shoulders) and he has tree trunk legs of muscle.

Both of us started 5:2 at the same time. I was more restrictive at the beginning in terms of my calories/logging/etc. However, his caloric intake should be more than mine and he was going to the gym.

Six months later:
    -I bounce between 125-129; BMI usually around 18.8; I've upped my calories; I still don't really exercise; I only do 6:1 so I can stuff my face 1x/week (>3,500 calories) and any bit of exercise I do (walking), I eat back those calories.
    -Husband: Went down to 230ish (BMI - 33.7) and NEVER really beat that; will drop down to 229 randomly. Still does 5:2, started logging/being more aware and still didn't lose any more weight those few weeks. He walks when he can, he goes out of his way to climb 20 flights of stairs multiple times during lunch and still can't really make progress.

I wish he'd join MFP/be more active/etc. so he could make a post about me! I feed off of his hate! :-P Just kidding.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought about all of this until now. I just assumed men, thankfully being bigger than I am, would burn calories faster and be stronger lifting weights in a hurry. Due to their larger size weight loss would happen faster on the scale but would take longer to actually look different or change measurements.

It has seemed to happen that way. I only lost freaking 8.5 lbs and went down an entire pants size. I had to buy new clothes!
    He lost 10 lbs and went down a belt hole.

Squats and deadlifts are easier for me due to my flexibility too. I cannot lift as much but holding my form is easy.
    My DH had to work on flexibility to even do those exercises at all.

All in all, I love that my DH is getting even sexier and our challenges with exercise and weight loss about even out in the end.
  • princesslsg
    princesslsg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the rude comments. I was venting. Of course I'm happy for my husband. Jesus. He's just lucky it's happening faster for him. I love and support all he does. Just wish my weightloss was happening faster! And as for logging. Even days when I don't log I know what to eat. Doesn't mean I'm not committed to a healthy lifestyle. Just means I'm more committed to time with the baby instead of logging lol. But thank you to the ones with positive feedback!