controversial success stories pls=saying NO to certain foods

Options
124»

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    To hell with the conventional wisdom. Whatever works for you personally is what works.

If I eat low calorie, people tell me I won't lose weight because of "starvation mode". Which is BS. The weight comes off. "Starvation mode" is all about actual starvation, not cutting calories.

If I eat carbs, I won't lose weight. Which is BS.

If I eat fat I won't lose weight. Which is BS.

You know what actually does work, at least for me? A significant caloric deficit. Maybe it'll work better or worse for you, but don't listen to me. Do what you have to do.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk8g7kkjhDbOrkeqH4Fmi7tWm-hf24rgwzr09F-M1O228Xyhth

I don't avoid anything.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think if you can eat that way for the rest of your life you'll be successful. If you can't keep from eating those foods forever, you're going to regain anything you've lost. This is why moderation is generally seen as a more sensible approach - it teaches you how to eat the things you love, without eating too much.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've got a suggestion, I have read that whilst doing a diet it is better to stay under a certain amount of calories (Hence Myfitnesspal) but also a great way to trick your body up and to get your metabolism going is to stick to a certain amount every 5 days

NO.

Examples
    Monday - Friday (850 calories a day)
    Then Saturday and Sunday (1200 calories a day)
    Then repeat every week BUT change the two days a week that your eating more calories it throws your body off EVERY time leading to a better metabolism and less fat that your body is storing due to the constant changing.

Definitely NO.

Let me explain, of course everyone knows your body stores fat when you eat less fat but with losing weight its hard to balance. While your on something similar to the example above you are staying on track of a good healthy eating/proportions BUT by the time you get to Saturday and Sunday your body might already have been saving fat it wasn't getting during the week so when you shock it with two days of more fat/calories it lets go of what is storing because it thinks its getting what it used to and creates a nice moving metabolism. AND from experience let me tell ya it doesn't seem like it would work but try it out you WILL be surprised. :)

:noway:

Strong second post. O_O
  • fp1222
    fp1222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read thru this entire thread and I am truly disappointed at the number of negative or critical responses. I will however focus on my story and the good things that I have gained from this lifestyle and the positive stories that I have viewed online. I started this around the beginning of 2014 on a recommendation (the 5th in five years to lose weight) from my PCP. I previously struggled as I felt that I was starving myself and ultimately ending up frustrated and heavier. I also enjoy my alcohol which is always a challenge if trying to lose/control weight. So at 56 and 290 knowing I didn't want to hit 300 I researched this book and the process. I started by using Fitness Pal to record intake honestly for several weeks before fasting and then dove into it headlong. I lost the first 40 quickly, 3 months, and now have tried to balance or maintain to get to my original goal of 50 pounds lost. I am 2 pounds away and I have spent the last 2 months in the 240 range.

I can relate to your cravings and some of what you say you are experiencing however, I will never go back to any other lifestyle as this is easily sustainable for me. Everyone is different but at the root of it, when I do not log my intake accurately I struggle with desired outcomes. I do not deprive myself of any food but as noted in other posts this lifestyle is predicated on net caloric balance related to body size. I too am a bacon chocolate beer yada yada lover. I have not deprived myself of any of these however I always try to stick to my routine for caloric input. I have not yet committed to regular exercise but still have achieved enough success to create a new weight target for myself to continue to lose more. My suggestion to you is to be honest with yourself and measure everything.

I would also suggest not having these items you desire daily as others have noted they tend to be pretty high calorie items. Try to alternate days or weeks for things like bacon chocolate etc. As to the cream in coffee, there are many substitutes for the highly caloric creamers that you may be able to work into your lifestyle. I am lucky and enjoy mine black so I am really no help there. I wish you the best of luck and future successes. I think this program and this web site are terrific. Cheers.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've got a suggestion, I have read that whilst doing a diet it is better to stay under a certain amount of calories (Hence Myfitnesspal) but also a great way to trick your body up and to get your metabolism going is to stick to a certain amount every 5 days

Examples
    Monday - Friday (850 calories a day)
    Then Saturday and Sunday (1200 calories a day)
    Then repeat every week BUT change the two days a week that your eating more calories it throws your body off EVERY time leading to a better metabolism and less fat that your body is storing due to the constant changing.

Let me explain, of course everyone knows your body stores fat when you eat less fat but with losing weight its hard to balance. While your on something similar to the example above you are staying on track of a good healthy eating/proportions BUT by the time you get to Saturday and Sunday your body might already have been saving fat it wasn't getting during the week so when you shock it with two days of more fat/calories it lets go of what is storing because it thinks its getting what it used to and creates a nice moving metabolism. AND from experience let me tell ya it doesn't seem like it would work but try it out you WILL be surprised. :)

Sorry. I appreciate your effort and all, but the entire theory here is nonsense.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eh, it doesn't work. I don't care what anybody says.

You can only deprive yourself from these things for so long. What happens at work functions? Birthdays? Christmas?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

You can only deprive yourself from these things for so long. What happens at work functions? Birthdays? Christmas?
    There are some things I don't want to have and I just don't have them...ever, like soda pop.

When it comes to things like cake, I am not planning on having that anytime soon, sure I might have a piece if I am at a birthday party, and I might have a piece of pie on Thanksgiving, that doesn't mean I am going to keep temptations around all the time when I know if I eat one piece, I will probably eat another.

I buy myself faux treats to have, they don't have real sugar and they fit into my eating plan, but they satisfy me just fine. I will never go back to eating too many treats, I will save it for going out to dinner and things like that.

I never thought I ate that bad before, but I could never get the weight off either. So now, if I am choosing between a nutritionally dense food vs. a basically nutritionally deficient treat, I am going to go for the one that gives me more bang for my buck.

IMHO, it is not so bad to stay away from something if it tempts you to eat too much, and it is not so bad to stop having foods you think are really not worth it (like soda pop, in my case), why waste your calories on things like that if you can live without them?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Interestingly, my total calorie input went up, but the weight just MELTED off. (This did not happen when I increased calories, but kept in the grains - only when I removed the grains.)

I_love_magic.gif
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options

There are some things I don't want to have and I just don't have them...ever, like soda pop.

When it comes to things like cake, I am not planning on having that anytime soon, sure I might have a piece if I am at a birthday party, and I might have a piece of pie on Thanksgiving, that doesn't mean I am going to keep temptations around all the time when I know if I eat one piece, I will probably eat another.

I buy myself faux treats to have, they don't have real sugar and they fit into my eating plan, but they satisfy me just fine. I will never go back to eating too many treats, I will save it for going out to dinner and things like that.

I never thought I ate that bad before, but I could never get the weight off either. So now, if I am choosing between a nutritionally dense food vs. a basically nutritionally deficient treat, I am going to go for the one that gives me more bang for my buck.

IMHO, it is not so bad to stay away from something if it tempts you to eat too much, and it is not so bad to stop having foods you think are really not worth it (like soda pop, in my case), why waste your calories on things like that if you can live without them?

Losing weight is about learning how to eat properly for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, not just when losing weight. This means eating in moderation.

Example: I used to be able to eat a whole bag of chips, I wasn't able to stop after a serving size. That has nothing to do with the chip itself, it has to do with my bad habits that I've picked up over the years as I gained weight. My mind associated chips with comfort.

No food is bad. If I want McDonalds, I will have McDonalds and enjoy every bite of it. As I'm losing weight, I must learn to just fit it into my calories. It's Calories In vs Calories Out, simple.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    i love threads like this, brings all the experts out of the peanut gallery....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You mean all the experts who have successfully done what you are trying to do, and have maintained that success for years while helping countless others do the same?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You mean all the experts who have successfully done what you are trying to do, and have maintained that success for years while helping countless others do the same?

I choose not to eat a LOT of things, either because I don't like them, or because they irritate my stomach, etc. What I do *not* do, however, is make posts on the internet claiming that avoiding these foods is what helped me lose weight.

Yes, choose to eat what you will. But if someone posts a topic making wild claims about magic weight loss, they should expect to get called on it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I choose not to eat a LOT of things, either because I don't like them, or because they irritate my stomach, etc. What I do *not* do, however, is make posts on the internet claiming that avoiding these foods is what helped me lose weight.

Yes, choose to eat what you will. But if someone posts a topic making wild claims about magic weight loss, they should expect to get called on it.

Nail. Head.

I don't drink soda. Ever. Stopped in 2005.

I seldom eat cake...to the point that I could claim I never eat it.

I've lost/maintained weight (except during the times I was trying to gain weight).

Neither of these particular foods were the secret to weight loss. I could lose/maintain (or gain) while also eating these foods too...I just didn't. The calories from these foods are no more likely to lead to weight gain than any other foods. Period. The end.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!