pics of my belly. it won't get flat! :(

Options

Replies

• lmsupar
    lmsupar Posts: 8
    Options
    May I ask why protein is so.important? I don't usuall hit my suggested grams

Protein is necessary for muscles. Fat and/or Carbs are necessary for energy. If you aren't getting enough protein, you will not get a flat stomach. The only way to get a flat stomach is by building your abdominal muscles. If you are 125 pounds and sedentary, you need 50 grams of protein. If you are 200 pounds and active, you could need as much as 150 grams of protein.

Aaaaand THIS is wrong. Wow, people are on a roll today, huh?

The REAL way to get a flat stomach is to reduce the fat covering it. You do this by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights to maintain your lean muscle mass. You can "build up your abdominal muscles" all you want, but if there is fat on them, they will not be flat.

Aaaand you are also wrong. Lifting heavy weights and consuming lots of protein will give you mass, definitely not definition. Lifting weight that is moderate considering your level of conditioning and using free weights that work the whole muscle group, not using circut machines, will result in good tone.
  • LipglossandLunges
    LipglossandLunges Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Protein is necessary for muscles. Fat and/or Carbs are necessary for energy. If you aren't getting enough protein, you will not get a flat stomach. The only way to get a flat stomach is by building your abdominal muscles. If you are 125 pounds and sedentary, you need 50 grams of protein. If you are 200 pounds and active, you could need as much as 150 grams of protein.

The REAL way to get a flat stomach is to reduce the fat covering it. You do this by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights to maintain your lean muscle mass. You can "build up your abdominal muscles" all you want, but if there is fat on them, they will not be flat.

Well I'm glad you're here-- this way I don't have to be the meanie. :wink:

HAHAHA THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Aaaand you are also wrong. Lifting heavy weights and consuming lots of protein will give you mass, definitely not definition. Lifting weight that is moderate considering your level of conditioning and using free weights that work the whole muscle group, not using circut machines, will result in good tone.

If you are female, lifting heavy weights and eating at a deficit will NOT give you mass, it will actually give you definition and cause you to lose inches. Check out my pics if you are having a hard time believing this, sweetheart. :flowerforyou:

And the fact that you are using the word "tone" without sarcasm is actually hilarious, and displays the extent of your understanding on the subject.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Not in my experience. I've been lifting heavy, eating protein and eating at maintenance for a year and all I've gotten is definition-- very little in the way of mass building.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Not in my experience. I've been lifting heavy, eating protein and eating at maintenance for a year and all I've gotten is definition-- very little in the way of mass building.

Thank you!

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ab's are made in the kitchen.

I pesonally believe genetics play a part too. I'm very pear shaped and have always had a lower belly pooch. I can reduce it with clean eating but its never completely flat.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Your tummy looks the same as mine! All I can say is that I'm giving it as much time as possible. I've had pudge my whole life, so I'm in no hurry. I know what you mean about summer though, but honestly your stomach looks great - the tiny bit at the bottom will probably be the last to go, but it's hardly unattractive. I think you look wonderful. <3
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Increasing muscle mass requires a calorie surplus. A big one. Like 3000-4000 calories a day for a woman to put on muscle mass.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Nope - its exceptionally difficult to gain mass as a female. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights whilst monitoring intake of protein will assist with fat loss and the retention of muscle. works for me :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Nope - its exceptionally difficult to gain mass as a female. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights whilst monitoring intake of protein will assist with fat loss and the retention of muscle. works for me :drinker:

This is right on. The only thing I'd add is that it's extremely difficult to gain MUSCLE mass as a female. #Testosterone
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

Yup. I've been weight training for 3 months now

Do you lift heavy weights while at a caloric surplus (above or at maintenance) while maintaining a protein intake of about 0.8 grams per pound of LBM?
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

eat_mor_chikin.jpg

Are you eating in a deficit? Surplus = more mass

Dont eat more donuts and drink more lattes. Do what the cows say.

No, not Mooooo

Eat more chicken.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

eat_mor_chikin.jpg

Are you eating in a deficit? Surplus = more mass

Dont eat more donuts and drink more lattes. Do what the cows say.

No, not Mooooo

Eat more chicken.

Umm. Thanks, but I'm doing what I intended to do all along-- recomp.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as toning. I've been lifting heavy for years. I put a LOT of work into purposefully trying to gain lean mass. Definition comes from lowering body fat. Lifting helps you keep your lean mass and burn the intramuscular fat, which makes your body look firmer. Lifting heavy also preserves your lean mass when combined with adequate protein.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet5.htm
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/toning/

OP: I've told you many times what to do. If it jiggles it's fat. That means you need to keep working at it. I didn't get there over night it took a long time. Just stick to it and stop worrying. The only things you should worry about is are you being accurate, are you eating enough protein (muscle insurance) and are you lifting.

As already linked: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

...wut?

I haven't gained any mass while lifting heavy and eating a fair amount of protein. Further more I have (by lowering my body fat) gained definition in my back and shoulders.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

...wut?

I haven't gained any mass while lifting heavy and eating a fair amount of protein. Further more I have (by lowering my body fat) gained definition in my back and shoulders.

You should try eating more chicken.

*ducks*
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

...wut?

You should try eating more chicken.

*ducks*

*looks down at bacon cheeseburger*

Opps.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Continue to exercise and lift weights.

The main thing right now is going to be to continue to reduce your overall body fat percentage. The tummy is often the last thing to go, so you just need to keep with what you're doing. Try to lose 0.5 to 1 lb per week to get rid of the fat. The weights will help turn some of it into muscle and the rest will need to be burned off.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

Yup. I've been weight training for 3 months now

Do you lift heavy weights while at a caloric surplus (above or at maintenance) while maintaining a protein intake of about 0.8 grams per pound of LBM?

I lift in a defocit however I don't consume enough protein, and if I do somehow reach it I go way over my calories. Could that be the reaaon I'm not getting results? Not enough protein?
  • stacyrgibson1
    Options
    Flat bellies are tough to get, just keep doing what your doing and you will get there!
    :happy: