Weight loss... and drug addiction.

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "not being THAT addicted" or using a drug that a rehab can't help you get off. Any use of your drug(s) of choice is too much.

I'm speaking from experience when I say that you're making excuses to rationalize your drug use. Please seek help. When you decide you're ready for it, make sure you're being honest so you can get clean. You're not getting help because you're not being honest with yourself. I hope one day you're ready for that and until then I can only wish you luck. You won't be able to get better without personal responsibility and honesty.

I don't think this is helpful. She has a lot ahead of her. Rationalization of her drug use having been clean for only a few months is decent progress. Addictions are time consuming. No one is ever cured from addiction. Recovery is a life-long process.

It was helpful and the OP is still using twice per week.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "not being THAT addicted" or using a drug that a rehab can't help you get off. Any use of your drug(s) of choice is too much.

I'm speaking from experience when I say that you're making excuses to rationalize your drug use. Please seek help. When you decide you're ready for it, make sure you're being honest so you can get clean. You're not getting help because you're not being honest with yourself. I hope one day you're ready for that and until then I can only wish you luck. You won't be able to get better without personal responsibility and honesty.

I don't think this is helpful. She has a lot ahead of her. Rationalization of her drug use having been clean for only a few months is decent progress. Addictions are time consuming. No one is ever cured from addiction. Recovery is a life-long process.

Using twice a week isn't clean.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

It's very helpful, and it's exactly what the OP needs to hear.

As an addict myself, I wish someone would of given me that exact advice.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I have been in recovery for coming up on four years. OP is still using and making excuses. Not one thing anyone says can change that for her. Sobriety comes from a place within yourself. She does have a long road ahead of her but it won't start until she comes to terms with her using.
  • wheird
    Options

And I wish I would have had the courage to tell that to my sister.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

xoxox
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    i know i'm rationalizing. but geez, let me take things one step at a time. i'm clean of 3 of 4 drugs i became addicted to, it's not all going to happen overnight... i'm taking steps.

i'm not trying to not take responsibility. i understand i'm still using even if it's once or twice a week. but to have gone from using twice a day to once or twice a week is a big achievement. and i recognize it's not good for me... that's why i've cut back as much as i can right now...

also for the person who said "stop giving a sht about your weight"... learn something about people with eating disorders before saying something so insensitive. thanks.
  • wheird
    Options
    OP, just checked your pics and I gently suggest not losing anymore weight. If anything, once you address your addiction issues, I would suggest a bulk combined with strength training.

You are a beautiful girl and young enough to still live a very good life one you are completely clean. An ED will not be kind to you.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i know i'm rationalizing. but geez, let me take things one step at a time. i'm clean of 3 of 4 drugs i became addicted to, it's not all going to happen overnight... i'm taking steps.

i'm not trying to not take responsibility. i understand i'm still using even if it's once or twice a week. but to have gone from using twice a day to once or twice a week is a big achievement. and i recognize it's not good for me... that's why i've cut back as much as i can right now...

also for the person who said "stop giving a sht about your weight"... learn something about people with eating disorders before saying something so insensitive. thanks.

Bingo. If people want those addiction recovery platitudes, remember that the first step is admitting you have a problem. Sometimes, that takes longer than just quitting cold turkey. Smokers don't get nearly this raft of crap when they decide to taper off their cigarettes instead of quitting outright. Ease up, folks. Especially with the weight comments, she's already openly acknowledged the ED-NOS.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

xoxox

Me too. My aunt (she is like a sister to me due to our age range) has been through this and still struggling. Even after everything she doesn't fully admit that she is an addict, even though she will actually die if she doesn't stop.

Op, you are young now. This will catch up with you in ways that are truly horrendous a couple decades or less down the road.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • wheird
    Options

To be fair, everyone was focused on the drug addiction and probably missed out on the ED issue.

No one here is trying to be insensitive, we are all coming from a place of love.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

You've come a long way but aren't at the end. I think you've been very brave but by making excuses you are hanging onto that last drug as a crutch. Sobriety is scary. I know. But it's also wonderful and freeing and I really hope you give yourself the chance to experience that.

Be honest, get the help you need, and keep going. Good luck with everything.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    most i can do is see a professional.

i just really want tips on staying away in the mean time... like, when it's the weekend and i can't call my therapist or late at night or ... days off from work etc.

With all due respect, I couldn't help but notice you've avoided the NA suggestion. Do you go? Have you been? If not, why not? If you already see a therapist, I would highly recommend going to a 12 step program (either NA or OA will do). This is where you'll benefit from some serious *live* support. Learning and practicing the 12 steps is a powerful and healing process. MFP is nice, but all we can be for you is typed-out words. Therapy is critical, but that's just one person giving you feedback. Please consider a support group. :) Good luck and thanks for entrusting us with your innermost concerns!
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Rationalizing is a part of the process. It's guilt that is causing you to want to find something "not so bad" about your drug use. It's completely normal. And in reality, it has not been that long for you. I have a client that I sent to rehab 30 days ago who spent 60 days in jail the first time and went back to use to spend another 60. She called me from rehab and is still rationalizing but she is also saying things that she has never said before like she needs to focus on her. It is a slow process. Some people do not understand. They see their family member go through it and it's hard. It's hard on everyone. But they don't know what it's like to have something like that hold onto them like drugs do. And the ones who have been there sometimes forget. They don't want people to learn the hard way and skip all of the necessary steps in between.

I have never been an addict of anything. I had a dad who was an addict and a mom who was an alcoholic. But I see it in my office every day. I try to understand that admitting the problem is not only the first step, but the first step in a process that can take MANY years in some cases.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

You're right, I missed the part about your ED, I apologize.

My point is still the same, you have to become sober before anything else can be fixed.

I sincerely hope that you get the help you need.
    I haven't been down the same path as you, but I am recovering from my own addiction right now.

I went down the "I'm only drinking 1-2 nights a week now, so it's okay" phase..it's just denial....

I wish you the best, and if you need anything, there are many of here who want to help you.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

You're right, I missed the part about your ED, I apologize.

My point is still the same, you have to become sober before anything else can be fixed.

I sincerely hope that you get the help you need.
    I haven't been down the same path as you, but I am recovering from my own addiction right now.

I went down the "I'm only drinking 1-2 nights a week now, so it's okay" phase..it's just denial....

I wish you the best, and if you need anything, there are many of here who want to help you.

I think that part of the issue might be (correct me if I'm wrong OP) that she can't reach sobriety because of the ED. The drugs act as something that helps her lose the weight that, mentally, she feels she has to lose. It's like a double edged sword.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your kind words.

however, i am currently seeing someone.
    i wouldn't need detox because i am not currently physically addicted. (clean for 5 months of heroin, 9 months of oxys, etc.) i don't have withdrawals when i don't use because it's infrequent now.

rehab facilities don't really understand dxm well enough yet. not many people do. no one knows how to treat a person who feels the need to use it. so rehabS out.

most i can do is see a professional.

i just really want tips on staying away in the mean time... like, when it's the weekend and i can't call my therapist or late at night or ... days off from work etc.

Have you tried exercise? After a good work out the endorphin rush is great - and it'll help you lose weight (though you're beautiful just as you are), keep yourself distracted and gives you energy. Trying going for a walk or jog maybe? I do the 7 minute workout and it's crazy intense for me - I can't hardly move when I'm done but I feel SO good after.

Do you have a good (sober) friend you can call when you're struggling?

You're stronger than your addiction. Good luck to you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My very sincere advice is to seek help from a professional for drug addiction and body dysmorphia. These are serious issues that you don't have to face alone. You are a lovely young woman, don't let drugs and disordered eating ruin your life.
    this.
    You need serious professional help.
    I also agree with this.
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a former addict so i can say this.

Cut the crap.

If you want to live, stop doing drugs.

If you want to die, then keep on doing them.

It's quite simple. Cold turkey and never look back. You are the only one who can help you.