Low Carb or No Carb … pros and cons of either?

Options

Replies

• Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    just the right amount of carb from right foods such as fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread etc.
    Your body's primary source of energy is carbohydrates, if you do not get enough your body assumes that something is wrong and your metabolism gets hurt.

Another thing - your brain can only work on glucose!.. You have to get carbsss! Otherwise you push your metabolism -

Bunch of nonsense. An example of the danger of knowing a little bit of information and assuming the rest.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    just the right amount of carb from right foods such as fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread etc.
    Your body's primary source of energy is carbohydrates, if you do not get enough your body assumes that something is wrong and your metabolism gets hurt.
    I don't mean to offend, but this is absolutely incorrect. The body's PREFERRED source of energy is glucose. All this means is it will use it first for cellular respiration if it's available in the bloodstream. If it's not available, the body can synthesize glucose from other sources. When keto-adapted, the body's primary fuel source is no longer glucose, but fatty-acids and ketones.

The one thing the body does rely on glucose to fuel is ANAEROBIC activity. Aerobic activity is fueled fine by fatty-acids, but for anaerobic activity, we do need glucose for anything longer than short sessions. As such many people do a targeted ketogenic diet to fuel anaerobic workouts.
    Another thing - your brain can only work on glucose!.. You have to get carbsss! Otherwise you push your metabolism -
    Again, absolutely incorrect. Yes, the brain primarily uses glucose for fuel - UNLESS YOU'RE KETO-ADAPTED. If you're keto-adapted, it still requires a little glucose - about 20g in the average person - which it can synthesize easily using gluconeogenesis.

There is NO need for carbohydrate in the diet. There is need for the nutrients that often are contained in carbs, yes - but those can be obtained from non-carbohydrate sources as well.

I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation.
  • vvancol_rose
    vvancol_rose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I support you completely. I apologize for the jerks who feel the necessity to be mean. For me, carbs are poison. I stick with carbs in the form of vegetables and berries only. I also eat a few almonds, but they can get out of control for me if I eat too many. So essentially, I eat a lot of wild caught cold water fish, free range chicken, grass fed beef, organic vegetables and eggs. I keep my balance at 10% carbs, 40% protein and 50% fats in the form of cream, butter, olive oil, avacados, and cheese. I hope you will read all the good info on the web. If you have issues with white food like I do, this is your answer. Good luck~!

I don't think telling her that she can sensibly eat carbs and still lose is weight makes us jerks.

I try to keep mine below 200 but I don't always manage that...since I have lost 67lbs to date obviously carbs are not poison to everyone.

What do you think calling us jerks and mean is??? Being nice???

I have no problem with people going low carb...i even tried it for a couple of weeks...it just didn't work for me...nothing that I could live with long term. What I have a problem with is people "thinking" that is the only way to lose weight.

she wasn't referring to you personally so I don't see how you would be offended and some of the other posters were just snarky before they gave me their advice because I didn't properly explain what I meant in my post...
  • vvancol_rose
    Options
    AGAIN PEOPLE THAT ARE COMMENTING ON THIS I MEANT CUTTING OUT SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES PLEASE DON'T COMMENT ON HERE AND TELL ME IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO EAT FOODS WITHOUT CARBS I MEANT TAKING OUT THINGS LIKE WHITE BREAD,WHITE FLOUR, WHITE PASTA ETC………………..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AGAIN PEOPLE THAT ARE COMMENTING ON THIS I MEANT CUTTING OUT SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES PLEASE DON'T COMMENT ON HERE AND TELL ME IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO EAT FOODS WITHOUT CARBS I MEANT TAKING OUT THINGS LIKE WHITE BREAD,WHITE FLOUR, WHITE PASTA ETC………………..

so if I eat white bread, white pasta, etc, and eat in a deficit I still gain weight?????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so if I eat white bread, white pasta, etc, and eat in a deficit I still gain weight?????

Oh please. You're young, handsome, fit and casually eat Fritos and hot fudge sundaes while maintaining your attractiveness (that you're obviously very proud of.)

Go enjoy your good fortune rather than snarking at women who are battling lifelong obesity issues and have openly admitted to having DIFFICULTY eating the foods YOU ENJOY in portions compatible with a weight loss regiment.

good fortune???? LOL please …it took me seven years of hard work and dedication to get to the point where I am …

OP can do the same if she just eats in a calorie deficit and continues to enjoy the food that she likes…

there is nothing wrong with "white" carbs…and OP had not hinted that she has any kind of medical condition that would make her sensitive to carbs, unless I missed it….

for the record, I do not eat fritos….
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Oh please. You're young, handsome, fit and casually eat Fritos and hot fudge sundaes while maintaining your attractiveness (that you're obviously very proud of.)

Go enjoy your good fortune rather than snarking at women who are battling lifelong obesity issues and have openly admitted to having DIFFICULTY eating the foods YOU ENJOY in portions compatible with a weight loss regiment.

good fortune???? LOL please …it took me seven years of hard work and dedication to get to the point where I am …

OP can do the same if she just eats in a calorie deficit and continues to enjoy the food that she likes…

there is nothing wrong with "white" carbs…and OP had not hinted that she has any kind of medical condition that would make her sensitive to carbs, unless I missed it….

bro, play it cool. she's hitting on you.
  • ndj1979
    Options

bro, play it cool. she's hitting on you.

I don't accept being hit on from faceless avatars….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Okay you don't eat Fritos My bad. Maybe you eat deep fried barbecue flavored pork rinds. They're very tasty in case you've never tried them.

OP wants to work hard losing weight giving up the foods she's said she wants to stay away from.

You seem like a sincere okay fella. Go easy on her maybe. She's taken some ridicule and unhelpful jabs on this thread of hers. She knows how she want to do this.

my diary is open to all ….so need to guess at what I eat…

and again, OP can eat white carbs and lose weight …lets focus on that rather then your attempts to de-rail it about me...
  • vvancol_rose
    Options

lol…..yes ……. deff agreed with the second part of your post!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    and again, OP can eat white carbs and lose weight

Oh I see. I'm sure she'll be very glad to read this. She was expressing the opposite opinion and apparently, according to your estimation, she's wrong.

And it takes at least two to derail a thread handsome. I think this thread will stay right on track.

hmmm ok sweatpea so you are saying that you can eat in a calorie deficit, eat "white carbs" and gain weight, really? Is that your position …?
  • vvancol_rose
    Options

good for you for being able to pull off your regimen and I sincerely mean that but you just don't seem to understand that I am not at a point where I can eat foods like that and remain at a caloric defecit because I don't have that self control. I am also trying to revamp the way that I feel I don't just want to lose weight I want to feel better in general and I am a firm believer that eliminating as much processed foods as possible is the right path to feeling healthier overall...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    and again, OP can eat white carbs and lose weight

Oh I see. I'm sure she'll be very glad to read this. She was expressing the opposite opinion and apparently, according to your estimation, she's wrong.

And it takes at least two to derail a thread handsome. I think this thread will stay right on track.

hmmm ok sweatpea so you are saying that you can eat in a calorie deficit, eat "white carbs" and gain weight, really? Is that your position …?

I've made my position on this topic crystal clear. Have fun.

if you call sarcasm clear then sure …

but if you do not want to come out and say it, because you know how ludicrous it sounds, then that is totally legit….or as I would say "epic backtrack"….
  • ndj1979
    Options

good for you for being able to pull off your regimen and I sincerely mean that but you just don't seem to understand that I am not at a point where I can eat foods like that and remain at a caloric defecit because I don't have that self control. I am also trying to revamp the way that I feel I don't just want to lose weight I want to feel better in general and I am a firm believer that eliminating as much processed foods as possible is the right path to feeling healthier overall...

OP - trust me if you try to restrict these foods you are going to crave them and just end up binging on them ..

You can learn to eat the foods you like and eat in a deficit…just eat less of them….IF you really think that you are going to avoid white carbs for the rest of your life and that it is sustainable for you, then by all means do it.

I am just saying that you can eat what you like and lose weight ..it is possible; I know because I have done it ….
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    OP - trust me if you try to restrict these foods you are going to crave them and just end up binging on them ..
    While that may be true for some people, it's not true for EVERY person. Please don't paint all dieters with the same brush.

I've been involved with research with literally thousands of people now - and I can assure you there ARE individuals who, for whatever reason - need to restrict refined carbohydrate in order to stop the cravings and not binge on them. The vast-majority (over 80%) of these are women.

Sure, it may be psychological instead of physiological. No, I don't believe there's a chemical addition like we see with certain drugs - but it's certainly a dependency from a brain-reward-system standpoint. It's also recognized in the DSM-V now and, as-such, is a clinically-accepted addiction.
    You can learn to eat the foods you like and eat in a deficit…just eat less of them….IF you really think that you are going to avoid white carbs for the rest of your life and that it is sustainable for you, then by all means do it.
    It's sustainable for many people. I personally have met hundreds of people living this way, for as little as a few weeks to one fellow that has been ketogenic since 1999.
    I am just saying that you can eat what you like and lose weight ..it is possible; I know because I have done it ….
    Many have done it. But many simply cannot. Because YOU aren't one of those that cannot doesn't mean they don't exist.

BTW, quick edit:

Though many doubt the existence of "food addiction" - More and more experts in the field of pyschology, medicine and nutrition are accepting it, and the recent evidence is certainly strengthening the case for food addiction. Research shows alterations in neurochemistry, neuroanatomy (limbic system), and self-medication behaviors which further support the hypothesis.

http://journals.lww.com/co-gastroenterology/Abstract/2010/03000/Food_addiction__true_or_false_.16.aspx
    http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/FAI-DOCS/2010_CurrOpinClinNutrMetabCare_Blumenthal Gold_NeurobioFoodAddict.pdf
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ajcn.113.064113.abstract?sid=44ef5031-b040-4501-8e93-af85301d69c6
    http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

Again, just because one person may not be susceptible to food (or any other) addiction doesn't mean another is not.
  • anndelise
    anndelise Posts: 14
    Options

You admit that if a person craves a food strong enough, then they're at risk of binging on it.
    But they are judged wrong for avoiding those cravings? For practicing saying no to the cravings? And for not rewarding those cravings?

Saying no to those cravings, and avoiding the foods that encourage those cravings doesn't mean an end-all-be-all thing. It does mean that for now the person might find it easier to say no to all, but down the road they will have gained enough willpower to have a little of them without fear of binging.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Main reasons a lot of people advocate low carb diets is the initial quick 'weight' loss. Glycogen holds a lot of water so by depleting glycogen stores you lose more weight. This weight is NOT fat. But how it does help is it looks good on the scales so the person is motivated from the start. It's calorie deficit that leads to FAT loss not low carbs, protein or fat intake.

Hope that helps
  • Zardeenah
    Zardeenah Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm really trying to turn my diet around and I know the basics stay away from processed foods and sugars, candy,soda but I really want to know if cutting out carbs all together would harm or help me or I'm looking for any diet tips anyone may have that has worked for them thanks!!

I know I'm late to this. But for me losing weight was about finding a diet that I could live with. For me that included cutting out bread and cheese in the beginning, because those were things I had problems eating in moderation.

So: If low carb is something that works for you, then go for it. I wouldn't go for no carb, because the evidence for it is sketchy at best

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14672862
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Pros: quick weight loss usually in the form of water weight.

Cons: constipation, fatigue, bad skin, brittle nails, weight gain long term, digestion issues, always looking tired.

I've gotten over my "processed carb" habit by eating more fruit, if you want something sweet eat fruit. If you want salty it's due to a mineral the body needs found in greens. I have way more energy and I literally hop out of bed and go for a run without any preform out food/drink. Yea I still eat pasta and potatoes, just no added oil and butter (which also caused fatigue for me at least).
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track in your thinking. Garbage carbs: sugar & processed stuff in my experience make me crave more junk. I do low carb because thats what works for me. I cant see your food diary so I don't know what your eating. If this is your interest join the lchf or keto groups, reach out to people that have the same idea of eating that you do. I wouldn't waste time posting in groups that are not beneficial to the lifestyle you which to accomplish.