Gained 2.2 lbs in a day!!

Options
SugaryLynx
SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
Omg, so I was keeping a steady weight on the same calorie intake and then BOOM! Went from 116.4 to 118.6 in just 24 hours! Thought it might be water retention but its been 4 whole days! I just started the next cycle of my weightlifting Monday, I biked on Saturday which I never do, and then I think I ate my ice cream after 10pm one night. What's going on? Here's my weight data for the past week-

Friday- 116.2
Saturday- 116.6
Sunday- 118.4
Monday- 118
Tuesday- 117.2
Wednesday- 117.2
Thursday- 117.6

Helpful responses only.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    2.2lbs of fat would equal 7700 calories. So unless you ate 7700 calorie over your goal, then chalk it up to water weight. Don't weigh every day if you live and die by the scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    2.2lbs of fat would equal 7700 calories. So unless you ate 7700 calorie over your goal, then chalk it up to water weight. Don't weigh every day if you live and die by the scale.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    But the scale is my alpha and omega. I need to know these things. I always weigh morning, naked, after my first pees. How long does water retention last? Could it happen for a whole week?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

v46ipy.gif
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    2.2lbs of fat would equal 7700 calories. So unless you ate 7700 calorie over your goal, then chalk it up to water weight.

^^This
    Don't weigh every day if you live and die by the scale.

And ESPECIALLY ^^^this
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    To much ice cream?

Nowai. I weigh by the pint. It's exact science. Should I use measuring cups instead?
  • BuckTheBMI
    BuckTheBMI Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Niner. I found I like to obsess over the scale so I have starting trying to use my willpower to only weigh one day a week... It's hard, and sometimes I cheat, but I find I am not beating myself up on a daily basis for something I can't fully control (how my body works.)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    But the scale is my alpha and omega. I need to know these things. I always weigh morning, naked, after my first pees. How long does water retention last? Could it happen for a whole week?
    Yes.

After Christmas it took me a full 10 days to drop my water weight

This legit has to be a troll account. :huh:
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing water retention. Check out your sodium intake. Also, are you having your period? Sometimes I can gain 4 lbs overnight during that part of my cycle. (unless you're pregnant???)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's raw muscle.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

v46ipy.gif

been in fitness industry for 30 years. havent been on mfp for long enough.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that a fruit diet could help you with this, only fruit on the first day, second day only veggies and then I stopped paying attention...
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Yes, depending on how much sodium you ate.

After Christmas it took me a full 10 days to drop my water weight

This legit has to be a troll account. :huh:

10 days?! That'll ruin my weight chart for the week :( I did a new exercise Sunday for fun but it was like 15 minutes tops. Maybe that's why my weight is trending kind of downward?

I do not has belly jewels. I just don't know how to science
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I'm guessing water retention. Check out your sodium intake. Also, are you having your period? Sometimes I can gain 4 lbs overnight during that part of my cycle. (unless you're pregnant???)

My period only happens on the 29th. So, can't be that. And if my husband knocked me up he's gonna have to carry the baby this time. This baby furnace is closed
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that a fruit diet could help you with this, only fruit on the first day, second day only veggies and then I stopped paying attention...

I believe it is the "satan diet" you're referring to
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Salt = Weigh-In Wrecker
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is tough. My weight usually fluctuates 2-3lb over the course of the week. I am assuming you weight at the same time of the day - I generally weigh 2-3lb heavier on an evening compared to first thing in the morning. My weight also goes haywire when its my TOTM - hormones do that - it does not mean I have gained weight - just that I am maybe holding on to extra water. If your salt was high the day before, you may be retaining water.

Also, I eat all hours of the day. As long as you have a deficit, it shouldn't matter what time you eat you ice cream.

Basically there are all sorts of reasons for it to fluctuate - this is not a reason to panic. As long as your weekly deficit is good, it will even out. I am sure others on here, have much more scientific advice than I can offer. But on a basic level....don't panic. If these fluctuations freak you out a bit, then maybe just try to weigh once a week.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates all the time by a pound or two especially during "that time of the month". It's normal. Just relax.