Fat people in the gym

Options

Replies

• futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    Encourage them, tell them they are making improvements. Teach them to help them

You don't understand. No, no, and no. I've known super obese Polynesians who were heavy lifters, brothers, ran a moving business. Healthy blood, normal BP, good endurance. At the gym and at work were treated with respect. Take them anywhere casual and absolute strangers express their "concern" and give UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED advice on their "health." No. You don't know anything about a fat stranger at the gym. Doc gave my buddies seal of approval, told them it's all Gucci unless they start to feel adverse effects. They don't need your condescending reminders that they are"too" fat, unwanted, and must be exercising for weight loss, amirite? Because God forbid a fatty like riding a bike! Are you even aware that weekly exercise has health benefits even for those who don't exercise enough to lose weight? And not all fat people eat burgers and fries and cake. You can get fat by eating too many calories of any food. Reject the stigma. Learn some respect.

Actual many of these people you say I don't know Ive actually been thanked by them for wanting to encourage them and help them
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The only reason I started talking to people in my gym is so that if I collapse someone will help me. True story.

LOL I love your sense of humour. Thanks. :)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't drive next to a random jogger blasting "eye of the tiger" some will laugh, others will spray you with pepper spray...

Laughing so hard. Funny. I would totally love that.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't drive next to a random jogger blasting "eye of the tiger" some will laugh, others will spray you with pepper spray...

:laugh:

I act the same way going to the gym as going to church - go to the early service to get it over with, go in head down, make no eye contact, and sneak out before the priest shakes your hand. I can't even comprehend the post Mass coffee and donuts. So, in response to the OP - no - I don't want any positive feedback from people. I've had been ridiculed enough about my weight that I will be suspicious of you.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'd rather something like that than checking out my *kitten* or making winky-faces at me through the mirror...

Funny... I've always found it more of a genuine compliment when people stare at my *kitten* and make winky faces at me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'd rather something like that than checking out my *kitten* or making winky-faces at me through the mirror...

Funny... I've always found it more of a genuine compliment when people stare at my *kitten* and make winky faces at me.

:wink:
  • Tzeitel7
    Tzeitel7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm just beginning this journey of eating better, getting exercise and losing weight. A couple of weeks ago I was out for a run, it was towards the end of it, and I'm sure I was pretty red faced. I passed a lady on the street and she urged me on. It was really sweet, I just quietly said thank you and kept moving along. For those fearful of saying anything, I did appreciate it. If she had gone on and on I may have gotten embarrassed, but it was just a few kind words to encourage me.
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    This goes in the category of "things the OP never saw comin'...."
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning this journey of eating better, getting exercise and losing weight. A couple of weeks ago I was out for a run, it was towards the end of it, and I'm sure I was pretty red faced. I passed a lady on the street and she urged me on. It was really sweet, I just quietly said thank you and kept moving along. For those fearful of saying anything, I did appreciate it. If she had gone on and on I may have gotten embarrassed, but it was just a few kind words to encourage me.

That sounds nice, and I wouldn't be offended by that. It's the whole "Aww, look, a fat person" attitude that gets me. The "good for you!" comments.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    fat people do not need your approval

people who think they need a pat on the back because they approve of fat people ( mostly only when they are actively trying to become like them fit, thin & acceptable though) need to take 1000 seats

^this
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

:wink:

brandon-belt.gif
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

You don't understand. No, no, and no. I've known super obese Polynesians who were heavy lifters, brothers, ran a moving business. Healthy blood, normal BP, good endurance. At the gym and at work were treated with respect. Take them anywhere casual and absolute strangers express their "concern" and give UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED advice on their "health." No. You don't know anything about a fat stranger at the gym. Doc gave my buddies seal of approval, told them it's all Gucci unless they start to feel adverse effects. They don't need your condescending reminders that they are"too" fat, unwanted, and must be exercising for weight loss, amirite? Because God forbid a fatty like riding a bike! Are you even aware that weekly exercise has health benefits even for those who don't exercise enough to lose weight? And not all fat people eat burgers and fries and cake. You can get fat by eating too many calories of any food. Reject the stigma. Learn some respect.

Actual many of these people you say I don't know Ive actually been thanked by them for wanting to encourage them and help them

You got lucky they were on the same page. That doesn't excuse the prejudices towards fatness and belittling mentality. I got fat on prescribed dietary meal supplements post hospital. I had heart failure and went from a BMI of 23 to 33 because I had been living with a blood disorder that was undiagnosed and was not retaining nutrients. I was healthy and in recovery from my heart giving out. I never stopped running. I have been a distance runner for years, and the comments I got when I was recovering from near-death were so healthist, fat-biased, hate in the guise of "support." Because no one can tell you run 30 miles a week when you're fat, and they're always astonished when you tell them because all we ever hear on media is fat=bad, unhealthy, pity, unattractive, low self esteem, unacceptable, needs to be reversed. And for the record? Weight loss is a personal choice, not a moral one. I don't think anyone was any less human or valuable in their fat body as opposed to the "earned" thinner one. We should be encouraging people to value humanity over size based aesthetics, not telling people they aren't Ok now but could be acceptable with workouts over time.
  • wheird
    Options
    This goes in the category of "things the OP never saw comin'...."

IKR? He thought he was awesome for it. :laugh:
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I do not look at you to look down on you or because I think you have nothing to do there.
    I look at you in admiration! remember that

I know how hard it is to get started(been there myself), and how easy it is to quit.
    But remember this is a lifetime commitment, not a quick fix.
    And most of the people at the gym are more than happy to help if you ask.

Now get back in there and kick some butt !

Thank you for posting this. I'm the big girl at the gym wondering what people are thinking of me. I wonder what they think, but on the other hand I want people to see what I can do on the arc trainer and elliptical. I'm a boss on those machines!! I'm trying to make myself better and I do hope that people look at me thinking "good for you!" and welcome any input if I'm doing anything incorrectly (although that never happens).

I personally enjoy looking at the rippling muscles I get to see while I'm there!!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Now you tell me.

I prefer people to rate me after every move.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how so many people can turn something nice (like the original post) and twist it into something offensive.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options

You got lucky they were on the same page. That doesn't excuse the prejudices towards fatness and belittling mentality. I got fat on prescribed dietary meal supplements post hospital. I had heart failure and went from a BMI of 23 to 33 because I had been living with a blood disorder that was undiagnosed and was not retaining nutrients. I was healthy and in recovery from my heart giving out. I never stopped running. I have been a distance runner for years, and the comments I got when I was recovering from near-death were so healthist, fat-biased, hate in the guise of "support." Because no one can tell you run 30 miles a week when you're fat, and they're always astonished when you tell them because all we ever hear on media is fat=bad, unhealthy, pity, unattractive, low self esteem, unacceptable, needs to be reversed. And for the record? Weight loss is a personal choice, not a moral one. I don't think anyone was any less human or valuable in their fat body as opposed to the "earned" thinner one. We should be encouraging people to value humanity over size based aesthetics, not telling people they aren't Ok now but could be acceptable with workouts over time.

Just because someone attacked you doesn't mean all of us are like that. Your letting what happened to you dictate how I support individuals and in hindsight are attacking me because I choose to offer a hand to someone.
  • wheird
    Options
    It amazes me how so many people can turn something nice (like the original post) and twist it into something offensive.

Thank you for telling me what should not offend me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

It equally amazes me that someone coming up and patronising me just because I'm fat and exercising is supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Just because someone attacked you doesn't mean all of us are like that. Your letting what happened to you dictate how I support individuals and in hindsight are attacking me because I choose to offer a hand to someone.

No. I'm fighting an entire cultural bias against people who aren't represented with any dignity in mainstream media. You are still entirely missing the point that human value does not change with size, that size does not make you a better human, that even fat people suffer internalized fat bias and think they are awful and need to change to be considered human. And currently? They're right. Because of mindsets like this that reinforce value as a matter of body fat % and not personhood.