What made you decide to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Because death scares the crap out of me.
  • JessMonster84
    Options
    I'm on here yet again because I'm having a hard time losing weight in a healthy way. I am 15 to 20 lbs over weight and don't feel too hot in my clothes. I just began working with a dietitian and she recommended this site along with the work we are doing together. Anyway, I'm actually kind of glad to be back on the site. It's a good little reality check.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I live with my boyfriend in a house with 2 other roommates. For the last 4 months I have literally sat in our room and ate and ate and ate and got depressed then ate some more because I was depressed which then made me even more depressed over how much of a loser I was. Well .. I'm not a loser. My boyfriend is very supportive of me and whenever I would get into that depressed mode of calling myself names he was always there to tell me the opposite. I want to make sure that he knows how much I appreciate him being there for me in my dark times. The best way for me to do that is to show him that his words are true. I'm not a loser and I can do anything I want in life .. life isn't over. If I stay this weight (over 300lb) .. then yes life is going to be over.

I want to be healthy and I want to be able to love myself. I know losing weight and 'getting thin' won't suddenly make me happy but working through my issues while gaining confidence in myself through losing weight certainly will.

Good luck to everyone! A lot of inspirational things in this thread!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and seen that I was 196. I made a promise to myself when I lost weight years ago that I would never allow myself to be over 200lb again. I knew it was creeping up but I didn't realize it was so much.

I had lost 25lbs but around Thanksgiving I decided to take a break after remarks from family members got to me after months of hearing them. I started back around 3 weeks ago after telling my boyfriend about this and he was pretty upset, not that I quit but because of why I quit. I made a promise to him about a month ago that I would get back on track and started working out again the following day. I started tracking on here again two weeks ago.
  • EmiDeeDoo
    EmiDeeDoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I started to feel self-conscious about how my clothes fit.

It's not in my nature to mind my weight or shape all that much, but I kept catching myself fussing over which pants to wear with which shirt that would cover my butt when I bent over. Then I was sent the date for my family's yearly beach vacation and panicked.

So I decided if it was going to be this uncomfortable, it was about time I changed things. And if I'm going to do that much, why not go ahead and reach for my ideal?
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have always been a little overweight, never really minded it, but always vowed to myself that I would never hit 200lbs. Throughout college, I gained around 15lbs, it didn't bother me too much. In the year and a half following college I gained another 15lbs and 5 of those were gained in 1.5 months. This puts me at 194. Gaining weight that fast showed me how unhealthy I was being, so I decided it was time to do something. I am happy with my progress so far and can really feel the lifestyle change affecting me positively.
  • sweetsknit3
    sweetsknit3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying these stories, so here's mine:

I've always been heavy, and I've gone back and forth with trying something and then failing and trying something else and giving up. But after I had my second daughter (I gained 50 pounds with each pregnancy) and topped the scales at 213, it was time to do something. I don't want to die of a heart attack like my father. I don't want Type II diabetes like my mother. Just no.

My doctor told me very bluntly to lose 50 pounds. The very next day I went horseback riding with my two small friends. The place where we went had some paperwork and one of the questions asked if you were under 200 pounds. Since I was just at the doctor and I knew I was right at the edge of 200 (as in 195 with my clothes on), I put yes, under 200. The tiny teenager who worked there looked me up and down and then got out a scale. She put it down in the dirt and weighed me in front of everyone going on the ride and then said it would be $10 extra for me to go since her scale said I weighed 205. If I hadn't been with my friends, I would have just left, but I paid her the extra. She then picked out the largest horse they had, a Belgian, to accommodate my weight.

I used to work on a horse ranch. I had picked larger horses for those Girl Scout mothers who were obese. I don't want to be that person! The ride was ruined, really, and I called the manager the next day to tell her all about it. I get the part about picking an appropriate horse - but weighing people like that with the scale in the dirt? Horrible.

That's not happening to me again. No one is ever going to look at me and wonder if I need special accommodations for anything - horses, plane seats, anything! I'm done with this and that's that!
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Woke up one morning this February and said "alright I'm done with being fat, I'm losing weight."

Really is the truth too. I wish it hit everyone like it hit me and will be as easy for them as it has been for me... so far.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    I'm just tired and being fat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

I've been sitting here staring at the screen and just don't know. I woke up one day and just decided that I was done drinking 5 Dr. Peppers a day and over-eating. I quit smoking 7 months ago, started a non-profit agency 2 months ago and I guess I figured if I could do those things, I could do anything I set my mind to. 3 weeks and 15 pounds later, here I am.

I'm just generally, finally making myself (and my dreams) a priority. So many of the past 10 years have been about my children. It's time to start loving myself again - it's making me a better mother, too.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to be heavier 197 was my heaviest weight and I saw a picture of myself. It was for a college project for class we all had to go out and take pictures of each other for a presentation. when I saw my picture I wanted to cry. I knew I had gotten heavy but had avoided mirrors like if I didn't see it then it wasn't that bad. I lost some weight with the weight watchers program then I got stuck and have gone back and forth over the same few pounds. I had a new kick to the backside about getting the weight off for good this time. I went to meet my new doctor and he casually talked with me about exercise and encouraging me to walk more. he didn't say too much about my weight but then again I put on my new patient form that I could use to lose weight. My new doctor's office has online patient records that can be accessed anytime. Right there in black and white under current conditions was "obesity". I don't want that one my current conditions anymore.
  • AnnieCeleste
    Options
    What made me want to change my lifestyle/losing weight is when my and my boyfriend went to Ripley's Believe It or Not in NYC. We took pictures and such. I looked horrible. It really opened my eyes was when my doctor told me I have to eat right or I might be at risk for diabetes or high blood pressure. I'm now focused more than ever to reach my goal weight. In the long run I will be happy and live a longer healthier life!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I want to buy slutty goth clothing and look amazing in it. It's all about gaining the confidence to feel sexy I guess.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I just got tired of refusing to be in pictures with people. I hated how round my face looked.

1236485_1406501496285539_1369511537_n.jpg
    (I'm on the right)

Last year I weighed 14 pounds less than I currently do and I really miss how my whole body had such definition. It was great.

I'm going to get back there.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had an affair with a girl who is as skinny as a stick insect. totally destroyed my confidence and now i'm doing my damndest to lose all this weight in an attempt to stop it happening again

Oh honey, there was something deeper under the surface and probably had very little to do with your weight. Don't lose weight for anyone but you.
  • larziepan01
    Options
    I have a seizure disorder and my doctor suggested that losing weight might help cut back on some of my seizures. I also want to be able to wear shorts and tank tops in summer and not be ashamed of my body.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Two things, one was that we were getting new life insurance and my weight would have raised the premium, a huge wake up call for me because it meant I was high risk to ensure.

Second I was having trouble walking and doing stuff, I wanted to stay active
  • tanabby21
    tanabby21 Posts: 2
    Options
    So I've gained weight I know, but didn't realize just how much an so fast. Last weekend I went out with friends & we all took pictures, needless to say looking at the pictures put a damper on my night. I am huge looking an just very uncomfortable. Im just ready to change that an fast. Not only for my health, but for my own personal gratification.

#cantrelyonmirrors#determined
  • waynewillis212
    Options
    I've tried a few times now to lose this weight but it was for all the wrong reasons. As many others on here will agree, you need to lose weight for yourself and not for others. What drove me to this point was a couple of things, I had a scare recently where I thought I was having a heart attack, thankfully it wasn't but it was a way of my body finally telling me enough is enough. It was definitely a complete eye opener for me as I'm only 27 and I don't want to die young. I want a family, to grow old with my partner and to live a happier healthier life. So that is why I am here and why I am working towards the new me.
  • Running_Spirit
    Options
    For me it was my rapidly declining health.. it was a wake up call. I was in and out of hospitals all the time and felt like death. I wanted to lose weight to live longer for my family and to be able to enjoy life. :smile: