What made you decide to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Andaisy1
    Andaisy1 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First, it was seeing myself in some pictures, I had no idea I had gotten that big!

The more I thought about the pictures, the more I realized I was following the same path as my mom and grandmother, who have dealt with weight and weight related health issues most of their lives. If I didn't do something soon, I was probably going to end up with the same health issues and the crazy amount of medications that go with them. No way was that happening!
  • emclarke01
    emclarke01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just completed my first year at uni and although I never thought of myself as fat before, I've gained a stone which has really made a difference to the way I see myself. I believe I'm a healthy weight but cannot afford to gain any more.
    I'm not dieting, I'm making a lifestyle change; mainly because I turn 20 next week and I'm aware that I won't be growing any more so it will be far easier to gain even more weight.
    I'd really like to make some friends on here for support as I've always gone through fazes of trying to diet but it never works.
    I'm always the "big" one amongst all my friends and I'd really like to start receiving compliments again.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got tired of feeling sluggish and depressed. I want to take care of myself and feel amazing, have more energy and set a really good example for my kids. Also I'm going back to school in the fall, so I would love to embark on this new chapter of my life with a new attitude and a new body. :)

I dropped 7 lbs in 24 days, and I already feel better. It's amazing how much healthy eating and being more active, can make such a big difference! I still have 64 lbs to go until I hit goal, but for the first time in over a decade I really believe I *can* do this.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Well... I've "decided" several times... but the most recent was when I went to my mother-in-law's funeral and I couldn't zip up my skirt so I had to use a safety pin. None of my "nice" clothes fit me anymore. That, coupled with the fact that I realized the reason I wasn't able to get pregnant was complications caused by my weight and diet. So, it's been VERY slow.... with lots of starts and stops... but now I'm here almost halfway to my goal, no more knee pain when I run, and everything is "working properly" again... so hoping to get pregnant very soon (just hopefully not before I atleast get halfway to my goal!) :)
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life, never knew the feeling of being thin and losing it is always something I've struggled with.

To start I was at the doctor for a neck issue which turned into a blood pressure and weight issue. She said she'd give me 3 months to get my blood pressure down before she puts me on another pill.

And the final kick was my son not wanting me to go on his school field trip because of my weight and he was afraid the other kids would make fun of me, that broke my heart I remember sitting in the car crying as he told me this. I do make comments to him here and there about that but it was the truth if I wanted to hear it or not. He is now one of biggest supporters, I can't imagine going through this journey without him!
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There was in incident that caused me to re-evaluate my life. one of the things I took from it was that i was tired of being the "big" dude
  • mickow
    mickow Posts: 1
    Options
    Yesterday my Dr. said I was 'morbidly obese'!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just had 2 babies in 3 years. My daughter will be 2 in July and my son is about to be 4 months. I'm not far from my goal, but I am determined now that I am done having kids. After I had my first I struggled with my weight and I never tried very hard to get back into a healthy lifestyle mainly because I wasn't sure if I wanted more kids or not. I was on birth control when I found out I was pregnant again and I was devistated. My daughter was very hard as a baby. My son, however, is a breeze. But of course I didn't know that then.

I decided to get my tubes tied even though I am only 26. I know I am done. My kids are 18 months apart and I have one of each. I have no desire to have anothe baby. Anyway, I never got out of my maternity clothes after having my daughter and I used to have a cute little figure and I was VERY confident in myself. Although , now that I have tons of stretch marks I am determined to feel good about myself again. I threw out all of my maternity clothes so I wouldn't get too comfortable in them. I have about 10-15 pounds left to lose. I haven't been able to wear a lot my jeans since I had kids and I am desperate to be in them. I even bought a dress after I had my daughter that was way too small and I really want to be able to wear it. :) good luck to all of you and I hope we all reach out goals!

Omg, you sound just like me! I have 2 girls 16 months apart, and I was always fit/in shape before and then between both pregnancies I lost myself. Congrats for taking charge. I have 11 lbs to go and I can't wait!!
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus Nephritis. This past April I ended up a week in the hospital on bedrest. I gained a lot of weight, mostly from fluids, hospital food (so much ice cream), lack of exercise and my new super medications. As soon as I got out, l looked at myself...nothing fit. I rested a week snd got evrn bigger b/c i was so unhappy. One day, I jus up snd put in sn easy Leslie Sansone Walk DVD and stared something and it worked. Later on I was in here on MFP to help track what I did. I lost all the fluid weight I gained plus some and am feeling better all the time. I want off all these meds and to get as "normal" as I can.
  • lucful
    Options
    I edit
  • lucful
    Options
    I was tired of feeling tired. Now I get up early and run three miles then work an 8 hr day, get home cook and play with my kids, brush teeth read stories and still have energy left for the hubby:wink:
    I hear ya on the "tired of being tired". Also, wow, I haven't a family with kids and all yet but I admire your commitment and spirit. Hope I can be like that too later :)
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Have always wanted to lose weight (well, since I was about 17) and it just never happened properly. I'd lose a bit and then regain it plus a couple more lbs. Then last year I was house-bound for 9 months and gained another stone on top of the 6 stone I was already overweight by. Now I just want to shift it all and be slimmer, fitter and stronger.
  • tjw00
    tjw00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Couldn't fit the gym towel around my waist at my health club anymore. I could say I wanted to live longer, wanted to be healthy enough to play ball with my son, wanted to live to see my grandchildren... but to be honest, it was the towel. The towel really p*ssed me off.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had an affair with a girl who is as skinny as a stick insect. totally destroyed my confidence and now i'm doing my damndest to lose all this weight in an attempt to stop it happening again

Oh honey, there was something deeper under the surface and probably had very little to do with your weight. Don't lose weight for anyone but you.

^ THAT. Dump the pig and move on to look hott for someone who deserves it and appreciates you no matter how you look!

Anywho, I was tired of seeing each picture taken of me looking fatter and fatter. I put it off for too long and I snapped back into reality.
  • fairyface87
    fairyface87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Initially I lost weight after seeing the photos from a party...my best friend has an 'alfresco bath' in her garden, wasn't loving being the fattest girl in the tub! And I was about to go traveling...
    This time around (2 years later) I'm fed up of feeling like s**t and am freshly out of a long term relationship. As much as I'd love to look banging in a bikini, I'm mostly concerned about my mental health. The rest will follow, right?! :D
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what made me decide to finally start losing the weight is realizing that I actually COULD do it. I had tried many times before, but I always had an extreme "all or nothing" kind of attitude to doing anything. So I would go all hard-core and work way too hard and then I'd fail because it's impossible to keep that up. I thought going extreme was the only way to lose weight and I just couldn't keep it up for more than like a week or two at most, so I gave up. I had almost settled for just always being the self-conscious, lonely, invisible fat girl.

Then one summer, I was working as a summer camp counselor for my city's day camp for kids. I was outside playing games and sports with those kids all day. By the end of the summer, I had lost 10 lbs without even trying or changing my eating habits. I realized that then that I COULD do it! That my dream wasn't an impossible dream and that it wouldn't be nearly as hard or extreme as I thought! So from that point on, I started actually TRYING. I progressed really slowly though so it took 3 years, but I finally lost 50 lbs and reached my dream weight! Now I'm working on toning, building a little bit of strength and muscle, losing body fat, and losing those last few pounds I want off. But I never thought I could do it. I never thought I'd be at where I am today. I'm a completely new person living a new life that sometimes feels like it's all a dream...but it's real! And all because I finally believed in myself!
  • ednaemerson
    ednaemerson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    11 months ago today, my husband and I were talking about all the traveling we want to do now that our kids are grown, gone and off the payroll. It hit me that there was no way I could enjoy any of it at my current weight of 295 lbs. If I couldn't even walk across the grocery store parking lot without being short of breath, how was I going to handle the rigors of travel? So, I made a change that day and the next and the next. 336 days and 106 lbs later, I'm not yet at my goal, but I can walk 10+ miles a day on a trip and handle it with ease. I will get to my goal (in 44 more lbs), but I've already gotten the big prize. I've gained the confidence and health to do whatever I choose without regards to my weight.

Congrats to you! this was truly inspiring to me!
  • steverup
    steverup Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since i was in 7th grade (55 now).. tire of being fat and my doc told me yesterday that I will die if i don't do something.. so here we go again... I'm going to really try as it get harder and harder to be successful the older i get. .. good luck to you all!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've always been self concious about my weight and would shy away from people because of it, but the reason I decided I had to lose weight was my health. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, my back, knees, feet and hips ached and I found my active job very tough to do. I was always tired and felt like crap. Now I have lost 40 lbs (40-60 to go) feel STRONG and fantastic! I am running too!!! I feel better, healthier, and people are complimenting my smaller size which is giving me more confidence around people.