• Butterpecan888
    Options
    this is a genuine question for those wondering... im all over the place atm
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    hitting the gym hard!
    This
    And retail therapy, ;-) new clothes for a new and improved body,a nail spa or something similar won't hurt either...keep your chin up!
  • Butterpecan888
    Options
    hitting the gym hard!
    This
    And retail therapy, ;-) new clothes for a new and improved body,a nail spa or something similar won't hurt either...keep your chin up!

thanks xx
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Time. Really, that's it. Nothing much you can do about it. And focus on good stuff. Like getting in shape and lifting or retail therapy, haha. The key is to direct your attention on positives in your life rather than sitting and feeling sorry for yourself.
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your heartache. What has helped me in the past is:

- Write down the reasons why the relationship ended. Re-read this whenever you're feeling weak and want to ring them, this has always helped to stop me!
    - Writing down all the things you can do now that you're single that you couldn't do in a couple. Plan to do one of these things this week, you can start right away.
    - Write down a reviewed set of life goals and small steps you can take to achieve them. Get started on this right away.
    - Plan some things to do with your friends and family. If you're heartbroken be kind to yourself, don't push yourself to go on big nights out or anything, just small things that will life your mood. Give someone a ring you've lost touch with.
    - Treat yourself extra kindly. You are fragile at the moment and need to heal. Eat healthily but allow yourself some treats too, just don't overdo it. Get lots of rest and exercise.

Remember that it does get better. I have been totally and utterly devastated after breakups in the past but now couldn't care less about these people. As humans we are very resilient creatures. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. :)
  • cheryl2361
    cheryl2361 Posts: 7
    Options
    de-friend ur ex on fb and block him or her ...easy to say not so easy to do i suppose ....................
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your heartache. What has helped me in the past is:

- Write down the reasons why the relationship ended. Re-read this whenever you're feeling weak and want to ring them, this has always helped to stop me!
    - Writing down all the things you can do now that you're single that you couldn't do in a couple. Plan to do one of these things this week, you can start right away.
    - Write down a reviewed set of life goals and small steps you can take to achieve them. Get started on this right away.
    - Plan some things to do with your friends and family. If you're heartbroken be kind to yourself, don't push yourself to go on big nights out or anything, just small things that will life your mood. Give someone a ring you've lost touch with.
    - Treat yourself extra kindly. You are fragile at the moment and need to heal. Eat healthily but allow yourself some treats too, just don't overdo it. Get lots of rest and exercise.

Remember that it does get better. I have been totally and utterly devastated after breakups in the past but now couldn't care less about these people. As humans we are very resilient creatures. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. :)

^^^ Great answer(s)!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Time

And possibly getting under someone else.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with positive people/things.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Focus your energy on some other aspect of your life.

Pick something = anything = you want to work on, no matter how stupid or insignificant. You need a focus outside yourself, and preferably something that your ex would not want to be a part of so that it is something you would not have in common or share an interest in.

Defriend him on FB and if you can't stop yourself then deactivate it.

A last resort, accept some of the dodgey friend requests we get here on MFP ( you know the ones where they think it's a dating site not a fitness site and have a bit of ego restoring fun. Just avoid skittles man.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Time, time and time.

Sorry to tell you, but that's it. You could go temporarily on antidepressants, as well. (I'm not saying that as a joke. It was offered to me by a psychologist when I was going through a tough breakup and I know a few people who took them.)
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    your best bet is to stay away from alcohol and anti-depressants and do productive things with your time. the more busy you are the better.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Dude should not even still be on your FB list.

Step 1: Delete number from phone.
    Step 2: Delete from all social media.
    Step 3: Find something productive on which to focus your energy. Take an art class. Go on a trip. Learn to play an instrument or to speak a foreign language. Find something you can learn how to do or something you can get better at, something that will make you feel good about yourself.

What NOT to do:
    1. Call him or text him
    2. Try to see him or "accidentally" run into him somewhere
    3. Stalk him on the Internet
    4. Call, text, stalk, or try to see or speak to his friends or family
    5. Put yourself in debt buying things you think will make you feel better
    6. Try to drink it away
    7. Starve yourself OR eat yourself into a coma
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Find someone new...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Dude should not even still be on your FB list.

Step 1: Delete number from phone.
    Step 2: Delete from all social media.
    Step 3: Find something productive on which to focus your energy. Take an art class. Go on a trip. Learn to play an instrument or to speak a foreign language. Find something you can learn how to do or something you can get better at, something that will make you feel good about yourself.

What NOT to do:
    1. Call him or text him
    2. Try to see him or "accidentally" run into him somewhere
    3. Stalk him on the Internet
    4. Call, text, stalk, or try to see or speak to his friends or family
    5. Put yourself in debt buying things you think will make you feel better
    6. Try to drink it away
    7. Starve yourself OR eat yourself into a coma

this is solid advice!

I'd focus on doing things that make YOU happy and give YOU joy.