How do you remember your routine at gym?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, I use the jefit app.

Secondly, I only do 3 main weights moves a session (all compound moves with heavy, for me, weights), so it's not too hard to remember :).
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use fitness buddy which let's me see what weight i used last time and how many reps I did.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I just changed up my routine. Listed out my Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday routine then took a picture of it. I pull the picture up when at the gym to remind myself of what's next.
  • Fearcher
    Fearcher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    GymRat, an app on my android phone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    One thing that always snags my up.....I walk into gym. Do my cardio (easy to remember to walk/run for 20 minutes).

Then I get down into the weight section and have a hard time remembering the 12+ exercises I am supposed to be doing, how many, what weight, etc. Even if I write down the names on a small piece of paper for my pocket most of time I don't remember what each one looks like (I need pictures).

I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?

Those guys may look "silly" to you, but at least it means they won't forget their routine and have a way to track their fitness progress. What's more important? Looking "cool" or getting it done?

Either look into apps on a phone or join the silly guys with the notebooks.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    One thing that always snags my up.....I walk into gym. Do my cardio (easy to remember to walk/run for 20 minutes).

Then I get down into the weight section and have a hard time remembering the 12+ exercises I am supposed to be doing, how many, what weight, etc. Even if I write down the names on a small piece of paper for my pocket most of time I don't remember what each one looks like (I need pictures).

I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?

...wait wait wait. How is having your program written out silly? Those are the guys who know what they are doing.

Both because they have a plan for success, and because they are not standing around looking confused like some people apparently are.

Are you saying you DON"T keep a log book? How the heck do you know if you're making good progress or not?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    No electronics in the gym just pen,paper and my "Starting Strength" book for reference as I catch on!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't think people with books at the gym look silly but don't want to lug a pen n book around either... I saved my routine in my Evernote app on my phone... Also record my stats in there too but am going to make an excel file to save that in instead... The note's getting messy, lol. I take my phone to play music off of anyway, so this works perfectly :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    12? 12 different exercises?
    That's too many.
    Secondly get a book. Anyone who is serious about lifting has some form of tracking- you can't keep track of your progress if you don't write it down. You look more ridiculous wandering around and not knowing what to do- and even more ridiculous in 5 months when you've been busting your *kitten* and haven't made progress.

Old school comp book. And bag.
    Every lift- it all comes with me.
    Cat optional.
    20140515_221501_zps53dcd3e6.jpg
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In the past I used a notebook to log my workouts. For the last year I have used Jefit app on my phone. You can download workouts or create your own. It tracks weight /reps per set, timer between sets, total weight lifted, and duration of your workout.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I do several people around my gym with notepads tracking their workouts. I assume since it's the electronic age, people also use note taking apps. Personally, I have mine memorized and walk into the gym with my game plan. I do, however have an exercise app I sometimes consult to look up new workouts if I'm changing my routine a bit.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Usually gyms equipment has little numbers decaled to them, (for maintenance and repair simplicity purposes). They are usually at the top, on the inside (meaning the side housing the weight plates) of the machine. Just write down the numbers of the machines you' d like to use, and use that when you work out.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have always used pencil and paper (spiral note pads). I have a drawer full of them dating back to workouts that I did in high school. Thirty plus years of data in one easy to find location.
  • SallyFTW
    SallyFTW Posts: 36
    Options
    Might be old fashioned, but I keep a workout journal.
  • Cladf
    Cladf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitocracy app - I'm just new to working out and my OH and my best mate both use it, so it's good for us to drum up a bit of friendly competition with each other as it allocates points per workout.

Lets me track my workout, with reps and weight for each set and then lets me repeat that workout time and time again if I wish, or amend it where needed too :)
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use the Notes App on my iPhone - Easy. I have used a bit of paper before, and just tucked it into my pants when I wasn't looking at it. If you carry an iPod or iPhone round with you, you can just use them - each one has several ways of reading text!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I had a really good weight lifting instructor in high school. Day 1 of Freshman year, use something to write down what you're doing so you don't forget your work out and you can keep track of progress. I don't ever do a workout that isn't somewhat preplanned and forgetting bring whatever I wrote my workout on is akin to forgetting pants...I have to go back and get it.

That being said I've tried just about everything. Problem I have with notebooks is I sweat on them and after a month I have a notebook that's water logged and useless. Same thing with cell phone apps. I'd sweat all over my phone, and when I'm in the weight room I don't want the distraction of the cell phone. I always leave it in the locker or car.

What I've been doing for several years is keeping track on an Excel Spreadsheet. I arrange my current work out on one spreadsheet and print it off. This way I have my plan written down, and I toss it after I record how the workout went in Excel. No sweaty notebooks, and no cell phones.

One other comment OP. 12 exercises? I think there might be some redundancy there. Sounds like you need to dial into what your goals are and then create, or look for a work out that supports those goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Note book....
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone, so I list exercises and progress in the notes app, and if there is ever something that I had to google to get the form down, I'd screenshot the webpage so that I could easily access it in my camera roll.

Personally, having a notebook would probably annoy me, but the phone doesn't since I use it to listen to music anyway.