WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We are at the college, had terrific rain last ho7r of trip. Took DD to dinner at a place I have wanted to go for the four years she has been here. Decided to eat within reason but not count this weekend.

Janemartin...sorry about your friend, cancer is the worst. May you make some Good memories with her.

Heather....welcome home, you were missed!!!!

Hello and best to everyone else, I don,t do well on the ipad, I did read everything.

Yanniejannie
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies
    Best wishes to everyone! Hope you are safe from the fire / fires.
    Sylvia, what an NSV, slimmer feet too! sorry about your grand daughter.
    Yanniejannie, Alls well that ends well!
    Joyce hope the holiday works out well and you need the room with the bath, your DD will soon realise!
    Heather waiting to hear about your French escapade!
    Barbie you are so impressive with your Line dance teaching, walking and caring for your friend, the other teacher.
    Forgot whose friend has got terminal illness, but keeping both of you in my prayers.
    Meg we dont have Mother's day, but now a days we all celebrate, any reason or day so many people in cities do....like someone mentioned it may be all Retail gimmick.
    So many necomers... welcome!
    Cheers to all with success ! and to all who persist!
    Michelle you have got me to check out Jari Love!
    Have a great weekend all! Will be taking a friend's daughter sightseeing on the weekend.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back girls! It's great to be back and in touch again.:flowerforyou:

We enjoyed our stay in Brittany. Lovely little village and the house is very near a small lake which I could walk round to burn off the calories. There was also an old railway track, lined with beautuful spring flowers that we could walk on for miles. The weather was showery until the last day so you had to make sure you had an umbrella with you. A short drive away there was a really large lake with great walking trails and we did that a couple of times. Lovely. The French are very good at making the most of their natural resources. They have a lot of civic pride and like to improve their leisure facilities.
    We visited Carnac, which is a very important Bronze Age site with huge numbers of aligned stones. Amazing. This is a special interest of mine and I have always wanted to see it. Then we drove along a tiny spit of land with the sea on both sides out to the "almost island" of Quiberon and had superb crepes.
    Another day we went to a local market, something I always love doing. I had a conversation with an old lady in the queue for the butcher's stall. She told me that every day she went for a walk along the canal. My favourite sort of day is going out in the morning to the grocer, the baker and the butcher and having a conversation in each of them. The bread was fabulous - our favourite was a large slab of rye crusted sour dough. I cooked rabbit in cider, guinea fowl and made pate with the liver and bean soup with the bones, sausages and lentils, Dover Sole from the market, and fillet steak and chips on the last night. It melted in the mouth.:love: On Sunday we went for lunch at the local Michelin starred place and had a long and tasty feast. Pre dessert, dessert and post dessert! ! ! ! :laugh:
    We went to an old monastery in the rain and watched a bit of French news on the tv. We read the local papers and found that their local football team had won the cup! Huge celebrations! I think we would go again as the house was warm and comfortable and had several bedrooms and two toilets. And two large sofas. These things matter, especially as you get older! Main drawback was a too small fridge.:blushing: :laugh:

Now I am not going to weigh myself until Sunday. I know I have eaten too much and drank much too much. The cider in Brittany is delicious. I calculate that it will take about a week of being careful to lose what I've gained.
    Today I did 450 cals cardio and 21 mins strength training so I will get back on track. Fish tonight. On Sunday it's the christening, so it's all systems go for the cake today and tomorrow. I got them out of the freezer last night. First thing is to make the butter icing filling. Needless to say I will only be having a taste of the cake.:laugh:

Hugs and love to those who are having a hard time. I have caught hints of some big troubles.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lots of love, Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All, It's FRIDAY!!! I sure wish we had three day week-ends. Oh well, there is one coming up.
    Not much happening tonight but the rest of the week-end is pretty busy. I think tonight will be a good one to go home and revisit the WII and some dvd's I'v enot had the chance to do lately. Tomorrow is cycling, ab class and my dgd's birthday party and Sunday is the twins last soccer game.
    Last night I personal trained a lady who is just 60 and already has Alzheimer's. It is really sad. Her husband brings her and wants her to exercise because it is healpful for her. When she comes it's like a new experience for her each session. She doesn't remember exercises and she will continue to do the same move until you stop her so you really have to watch her. She is so sweet, she compliments you and always seems amazed at what you show her, it is sad but sweet as she is like a child learning new things.
    Time to go to work.

Debra, Way to go! Keep it up. Alcohol is not a challenge for me but sugar sure is.

Jane, Thoughts and prayers for Melody, her family and you.

Gail ATL, I’ve caught some of the news regarding the 911 museum, I bet it will be crowded but probably worth seeing if you can get in.

Cindy OK, What a wonderful thing to say about your friend. I think being told I am the youngest senior someone knows would be the absolute best compliment.

Welcome Lynn, We have to do all we can do to stay motivated.

Welcome Krys, I am a PT at my Y as well, I work part time there. I, unfortunately, work full time sitting at a desk.

Beth NY, I hope your DS finds some relief somehow. I’ve seen others struggle with migraines and it is rough.

Renny, I hope you enjoy the show. .

Heather, Your trip sounds wonderful.

Thoughts and prayers for those struggling,
    Welcome to all our new friends,
    Take care and be healthy
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    631424rbg3g5r2aw.gif

Thanks for the kind words of... support....hugs....prayers...Michele; Kim; Vicki; Cindy; Katla; DeeDee; Margaret- Glad you liked the flowers...You all on here are great friends....I appreciate you all ;
    Welcome to all the Newbies...NenaC - in our hometown community that we moved from..seems like there is somebody each month who has cancer or passes on because of it...my DH friends wife just passed away last week :cry: ....Lynn & Krys...Beachbaby- my weight likes to trick me..will go up up then lose one up while the other one holds on with crazy glue :grumble:

Jane - sending soothing hugs ; Gail - so sorry about your eye condition...I hope it can be fixed! ; Debra - been there...wanting ice cream badly :noway: ; Beth - I pray your sons migraines go away..they are very debilitating...20 botox shots sounds like a lot! ; Joyce - yes..they want us to pick something and then they do as they want..so..so..frustrating :grumble: ; Heather - Glad you had a fantastic trip!!

I have had a sad week..was to get my one GS over for a sleep over but I ended up having to get up before the birds to have an x-ray of my stomach so my Dr could have the results tomorrow at my appointment...not my regular doc but needed to see one quickly as I have been having Diarrhea since Saturday night....so she wanted an x-ray done because my stomach was so sore when she poked it...one of my DS died from bowel cancer that went to her liver...and my DS last august died from cancer also...so the doc just wants to make sure it isn't that or something else.....I swear our lives are never dull ..but this makes it hard to go somewhere without backup supplies :angry:
    We had good news yesterday..our DD was accepted on her boyfriends medical plan...this is great because of her health issues { only one kidney}...the meds she takes cost her around $$700.00...a month..she has been working 2 jobs to be able to pay for it...hopefully now she will leave the one...I was so happy I cried :cry: but for joy!!

Time for me to get some things done before the appointment...you all have a Fantastic Sunny Friday :heart:

Liz fr Halifax NS
    1017588rzolrv0qug.gif
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good morning EVERYONE!
    Great day when it hits Friday.
    I am a high school teacher and the seniors are "checked out" already.. Last day of school for them is next week, and unfortunately they are in the "so outta here" attitude.. sort of rubs off on us.. Will be VERY happy when Wednesday rolls around.

What's GREAT about a weekend??? More much needed sleep (even if it is only an hour!!), a bike ride, a nice long walk and maybe a little (HA) housework....OH, and the garden. Weekends are a GREAT way for me to be POSITIVE and happy.... very very important.

Have a GREAT weekend!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lynn: Welcome. Where are you from? It is fun knowing. Motivation comes from within, but this group is fabulous at encouraging a person stay motivated. I hope you stick around. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m happy that you had a good time in France.:flowerforyou:

Jill: Congratulations on the good blood work and weight loss. When your doctor is happy, you know you’re on the right track!:bigsmile: :drinker:

Debra: I buy Endangered Species 72 percent dark chocolate in individually wrapped 50 calorie squares. When my local store stopped carrying it I started to get it from the internet. I can have a treat and stay on track, without eating more than one. Perhaps you’ll be able to find something that you can enjoy. For the most part, I’d suggest you eat an apple.:wink::flowerforyou:

Joyce: there is NO WAY that I could stay in a place where I didn’t have access to a bathroom in the night. :noway: You may want to keep looking. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: Isn’t it nice for your horse that she has a cute butt. :laugh: I wonder whether she felt flattered.:flowerforyou:

Beth in W NY: I hope the treatments succeed in helping your son to feel better. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: It is wonderful to know you’re enjoying everyday life. I think it is both a gift and a choice. You’re a wise and lucky woman.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Congratulations on your slim and svelt feet.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Congratulations on winning tickets to Fed Up. I have never forgotten to put on a bra since I started wearing one. The “girls” have diminished in size significantly with the weight loss, but I don’t mind at all, and I still need a bra. A side benefit is that I have far fewer back aches.:flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax: Please remember to let us know how the doctor appointment goes. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Life has been busy and good. Yesterday was DH’s birthday. We had breakfast out and he heard from both of our kids and our DDIL. I got him some new pants and DS & DDIL sent him an electronic card shuffler. It works very well. One of my neighbors wants to start going to yoga with me in a week or two. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: She has a conflict until then. Yesterday I washed the boat using a power washer. I now hurt almost everywhere, which is why I’m up at 4 am. If anyone is looking for a good way to burn lots of calories I can recommend power washing.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Holding my spot for later!
    Have a great day!
    Tammy in VB
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Beautiful Ladies!

The retirement party was wonderful. Of course I went over my calories. My two friends in the HR group I worked with did a terrific job of putting the event together, complete with a champagne toast and a tiara! It was so nice to see some of my former coworkers.

We are heading to garden nurseries so I need to go and get showered and dressed. I hope all of you have a beautiful day.

Hugs and prayers for all,

Cindy in OK:heart:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just popping in with some exciting news. I told you all that I am going to teach an ab class here at work and I was nervous no one would sign up or come. It went out in our online news letter last night and the response has been awesome. I've had emails and phone calls like crazy. I'm so excited!! If half the people show up I'll be happy. Can't wait until 6/3.
    Also, today is my anniversary here at work, 15 years.
    Bye for now,
    Patty Cincinnati OH
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    Just popping in with some exciting news. I told you all that I am going to teach an ab class here at work and I was nervous no one would sign up or come. It went out in our online news letter last night and the response has been awesome. I've had emails and phone calls like crazy. I'm so excited!! If half the people show up I'll be happy. Can't wait until 6/3.
    Also, today is my anniversary here at work, 15 years.
    Bye for now,
    Patty Cincinnati OH

:flowerforyou: Patty, that's great that a lot of people are interested in your upcoming workshop. I always tell my line dance class that I'll be dancing every Friday morning even if no one shows up, but I like it best when there is a good crowd enjoying it with me...congrats on your longevity on your job.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!Had gyn appt.Was a nice lady dr,1st time going.Have to have a d and c on june 9th.
    Have a great day!!
    hugs

jane
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Having kind of a blue day. My DD is leaving today after being here for a little over a week. It was so nice to have her here but all good things must come to an end and if we can get moved after I retire we will be closer and I can see her more often.

She told me yesterday was "national chocolate chip day" so we made chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal last night. Ate it this morning and it was very good. Something new for breakfast and it has 11 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber for 314 calories.

Heather - Glad you made it home safely and that you had a good trip.

Joyce - Good luck with finding that vacation home.

Yikes! Hoping the boy with the migraines gets some relief. I cannot imagine 20 injections.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's beautiful here today. Sunny and temps in the 60's. Perfect if you ask me.

I went to the Y with hubby this morning and tried out my new running shoes. Of course, I wasn't running, but walking on the treadmill they felt great. Also did some of the weight machines. Then we went back home and worked on the garden for a little while. Turning the soil is HARD work! It's got a lot of clay in it, so I think we are going to have to add something to make it grow anything. I hope I can find a way to count that as calories burned. I'm planning to plant cherry tomatoes (already bought 12 plants) and corn on the cob. I wanted to plant seedless watermelons but can't find any seeds for that. Hubby laughed at me - wanting seeds for seedless watermelon, but hey, they have to come from somewhere. We are new at gardening, so hubby said we should have put the garden farther from the road so the neighbors can't see us making idiots of ourselves. He says they will laugh and point. Hah!

Here is the joke for the day. I hope there are no Chicago fans among us:

:happy:

At a divorce court a family of bears is waiting for the judge to grant custody of little bear.

The judge asks the baby bear; “do you want to live with papa bear?” The baby bear replied; "No he beats me. " The judge asked, so do you want to live with mommy bear! The baby bear said, "No she beats me too." The judge asked, "Then whom do you want to live with?" The baby bear says, "The Chicago bears, they don't beat anyone!"

:laugh:

Did everybody see the video of the cat that rescued the little boy from a dog attack? Pretty amazing!

http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/14/cat-saves-boy-dog-attack-video/

Later friends!

Sylvia
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Been a busy day & I finally have gotten to check in here.

I have finished my errands and now am going to start on laundry & the house.

Busy weekend with DD wedding shower tomorrow. Picked up the little toasting glasses at the Dollar Tree this morning. We still have some left from my son's wedding last summer so I didn't buy as many as I think I need. Hopefully they will have the rest I need.

Well off to the races, just hope I can stay motivated to get this house straight. I cleaned houses when we were homeschooling the kids. Why is it so much easier to clean someone else's home than your own.

Have a great weekend if I don't get to check back in.

Cindy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place:bigsmile:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Not feeling very chatty but just wanted to pop in, say "hi" and let ya'll know I'm thinking of you.

Happy Weekend!

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    spent the day at the hospital while dad had his pacemaker replaced. It was just a very long and tiring day so I'll say hi and goodnight and see you tomorrow. Meg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Group isn't as chatty today. I'm tired of the weather!

I have taken today off of vacation searching, planning. Talked to my husband when we were eating, I knew he would be happy then, and he said that he could just stay home Although I would love to think about a vacation with him not there, it is not an option. We are a family and if we are going to take a family vacation you better have a good excuse for not being able to go like our now ex SIL when we went to Disney World 3 years ago. He could not take the week off work and it was the only week the rest of the family could go. I also know he says things he doesn't mean when he is upset or doesn't want to talk about it. He eventually said that spending 5 days at the beach is not his idea of fun except for seeing the grand kids having fun. I told him that I knew that it was not and that was why I was fighting for his rights because I knew that he wasn't. So I asked him what he would think if we kept the same total budget but went down to 4 days at the beach. He did readily agree to that. I just hope we can find something on the gulf in that range. I vowed I wasn't going to look and I am really trying hard not to. I am glad that we were able to have a civil talk about it and he did verbalize some of his feelings which is very hard for him. An 11 hour drive is going to be hard for him to begin with. I don't want to stress him anymore. I do not want to spend time at the hospital with him having angina.

Joyce, Indiana