Does alcohol count towards your daily calories?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    the way i see it, is there are plenty of things that people eat that have no nutritional value but plenty of calories. you dont just eat your calorie goal and then go decide to eat 6 twinkies and not do anything to work them off, or compensate in some other way. some people eat part of their daily goal and fill the rest with twinkies but its not healthy either.
    you need to find balance with it, whatever you decide to do.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member

Ladies!?!! According to the MFP database the accepted serving size is "load." I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the nutrition information presented.

Spermdbentry_zpsdecfd896.jpg

And if that sad image and joke isn't enough for you, be aware that devouring human souls is not going to impact one's calorie target:

Humansouldbentry_zpsfa3c239d.jpg

that entry is obviously wrong - theres no protein listed ;)
    the souls thing is good to know though
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    That depends on whether or not you can remember what you drank! :drinker: :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    thank you , i was low on calories today. think I'll go buy a bottle of wine to correct that. how much in the average bottle?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Of course alcohol counts. Log everything. I don't drink so I don't have that problem. It's a waste of calories if you ask me.

A waste?!

Piffle.

Enjoying wine or beer is hardly a waste! I call blasphemy!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    My tip is not to eat only 1200 cals and then drink 500 worth in booze. You're not gonna feel good the next day..I speak from experience..

This. I'd double the first, possibly the second also, and drink plenty of water. (If you chase each drink with a glass of water, it will lessen the hangover intensity the next morning.)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Hmmm. Of course it does.
    Silly topic. Troll perhaps ? Haha
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    If you've got 500 calories to spend on booze, you'll get more bang for your buck with straight distilled spirits rather than beer, wine, liqueurs, cocktails, etc. I mean, provided you're drinking for the purpose of DRINKING and not just enjoying the taste.

Hell, that's only like three beers, but around eight shots of whiskey! I know which one I'd take if it were a Saturday night...
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Hmmm. Of course it does.
    Silly topic. Troll perhaps ? Haha
    That was my thought. The two goals seems incongruent: wanting to lose weight and drinking like a fish.
  • seasonsanna
    seasonsanna Posts: 53
    Workout extra hard all week, don't eat all of your burned calories back, then get drunk when weekend shows up. You don't have to do it day by day. You can totally save up calories to blow on the weekend, eat your goal every day and still lose.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Of course it counts LOL. It has no fats, proteins or fibre yet it may contain sugars. Even if you drink dry wine or vodka you receive your calories. So you ought to log it.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    If you've got 500 calories to spend on booze, you'll get more bang for your buck with straight distilled spirits rather than beer, wine, liqueurs, cocktails, etc. I mean, provided you're drinking for the purpose of DRINKING and not just enjoying the taste.

Hell, that's only like three beers, but around eight shots of whiskey! I know which one I'd take if it were a Saturday night...

Careful - in the US it's like 5 shots of whiskey (or tequila!). About 69 cals per ounce for many spirits, and a US shot is typically 1.5 ounces (not sure if you are in the US or elsewhere - in some European countries a typical shot is going to be more than 1.5 ounces, or more than the roughly 100+ cals). Still your point is spot on -- when losing I reduced my IPA intake and upped my tequila + whiskey intake - the habit has stuck.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    I'm going out tonight drinking, i'm doing my workout to make sure i can haha but i don't mind just hitting maintenance and being able to eat a bit more etc :)
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member

Careful - in the US it's like 5 shots of whiskey (or tequila!). About 69 cals per ounce for many spirits, and a US shot is typically 1.5 ounces (not sure if you are in the US or elsewhere - in some European countries a typical shot is going to be more than 1.5 ounces, or more than the roughly 100+ cals). Still your point is spot on -- when losing I reduced my IPA intake and upped my tequila + whiskey intake - the habit has stuck.

I'm not in the West but I realize in many places a jigger is considered a "shot". That's why you don't measure in shots, you drink straight from the bottle!

But yeah, I don't mess around with beer if I want to get a buzz on, it's Jameson for me. Anyway the beer in my country is at most 3% alcohol and tastes like s***, so there's no point!

IPA, mmmmmm, when I lived in the US I loved me a Brooklyn IPA.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.

So you learned a new word today I see.
    > this is what we call "empty calories"

it sure as shT counts- but it doesn't do anything for fueling you're body.

how old are you again?

How patronising. I know what empty calories are.

not for nothing- if you knew why are we talking about this?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member

not for nothing- if you knew why are we talking about this?
    lol +1
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member

I'm not in the West but I realize in many places a jigger is considered a "shot". That's why you don't measure in shots, you drink straight from the bottle!

But yeah, I don't mess around with beer if I want to get a buzz on, it's Jameson for me. Anyway the beer in my country is at most 3% alcohol and tastes like s***, so there's no point!

IPA, mmmmmm, when I lived in the US I loved me a Brooklyn IPA.

Well now you kinda have to say where you are! I've seen "shots" in many places in Asia (and the middle east) that varied from less than an ounce to well more than 3 ounces -- taking shots at a roadside "club" in southern India is radically different than having a shot at a club in Phuket. Calorie and taste wise they can be really, really different (as well as being really, really different in terms of cost).
  • sullenbee
    sullenbee Posts: 13 Member
    I drink pretty regularly, and I still lose weight. I just try to combine drinking with exercise. Usually once a week I bike an hour to a brewery, have a few pints, and bike back. I figure I'm working it off that way. I also commute to work by bike, 12 miles each way, so I figure I have room for a few pints now and then.

Also, craft beer does indeed have some nutritional value. Fiber, Vitamins B6 and B12, etc.... A quick google search and you can find many lists of awesome reasons to drink beer.

But besides it's nutritional value, having a few drinks with friends does wonders for stress. Studies have shown that moderate drinkers generally outlive those who completely abstain.

So drink up and ignore the haters. Cheers.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    So, in other words, if I eat 1200 cals of ice cream which doesn't give me a full spectrum of nutrients, can I eat 500 more to fill the gap? No. Either exercise, eat at matinence or just have a bad day nutritionally as a treat.