Let's talk cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you tried greek yogurt instead? I love vanilla blended Chobani. I used to try to eat cottage cheese for the protein but I couldn't stand the taste or the *insanely* high sodium count.

I do greek yogurt every morning. :) I guess I could have it twice a day!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Full Fat. Knudsen. Salt and Pepper. Saltine crackers.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I do the fat free stuff with fruit and chopped nuts on it.
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I put a cup of cottage cheese in the container for work and 1/4 cup of mango puree in another container. I'm through the mango puree and still have about a 1/3 of a cup of cottage cheese left. But I'm actually really full already. I can't believe how filling this is!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    1% with a tsp of vanilla and a couple packets of splenda..

or pepper and brown mustard seeds, and turmeric...
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from completely! First of all don't eat the non-fat stuff - It is nasty. The 2% kind is much better. I only eat a serving of it with fresh fruit like strawberries or peaches. And I always drain that funny milky water off the top before I stir in the fruit.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I used to always eat Fat free or lowfat.....now I only buy 4% Large curd...WAY BETTER! And awesome on a baked sweet potato.....no butter or salt needed!
  • violetbluemornings
    violetbluemornings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat it just about everyday with a couple teaspoons of Pico de gayo (salsa) or cut up some tomato's and add a dash of Lemon pepper.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Cookies & Cream protein powder and Peanut Butter.
  • Persi22
    Persi22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am personally not a big fan of cottage cheese, but my husband enjoys it when we need something quick and easy for dinner. We always buy 4% (I know, it's more fat and calories but it's not as bad as other meals you can have and it is worth the taste - anything below 4% just didn't taste the same). He really likes to mix it with crab meat and sometimes he would add hot sauce into that.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I like mine with fruit ... peaches, pears, pineapple, or apricots. I have sister in law who likes hers with tomato and pepper. There are a lot of other suggestions which sound yummy here, too.

You could go with greek yogurt if you just don't like cottage cheese. It has most of the same benefits - portable, doesn't need cooking, protein, calcium, etc. Chobani has some good flavors that are all natural (sweetened just with cane juice extract and fruit, no artificial colors, etc) if you're worried about the additives. Or some people like it plain, with fruit or savory stir-ins. Just another option there for you :wink:
  • dkmsindependent
    dkmsindependent Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like using it in lasanga instead of ricotta.... cheaper and creamier
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just put a large scoop of it on top of my spaghetti. Love it.
  • morn1ngstarr
    morn1ngstarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I enjoy small curd best 4 percent or full fat. .. I love sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. And also found that I enjoy adding cottage cheese on top of green salad instead of dressing.. =)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My favorite addition to cottage cheese used to be ripe, sliced tomatoes, a tiny pinch of sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
    Unfortunately since I live in this country getting cottage cheese is difficult and expensive ( 10 oz the equivalent of almost 5 dollars ) with no assurance of freshness, because it's not popular at all. I am seriously thinking of making my own.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat it with berries..blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or any combination, pineapple is really good too.

Also, you can go the savory route and add chopped vegetables of your choice, also very good.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Dont like it and never will. There are plenty of other easy portable snacks you can eat without forcing yourself to choke down cottage cheese
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I like mine with fruit ... peaches, pears, pineapple, or apricots. I have sister in law who likes hers with tomato and pepper. There are a lot of other suggestions which sound yummy here, too.

You could go with greek yogurt if you just don't like cottage cheese. It has most of the same benefits - portable, doesn't need cooking, protein, calcium, etc. Chobani has some good flavors that are all natural (sweetened just with cane juice extract and fruit, no artificial colors, etc) if you're worried about the additives. Or some people like it plain, with fruit or savory stir-ins. Just another option there for you :wink:
    I eat low fat greek yogurt and I will have the Chobani if I can't get another brand, but Fage is the best.
  • dawndpetz
    dawndpetz Posts: 4
    Options
    Sorry, I like the small curd and fat free. Sometimes I do put fruit in mine, but most of the time eat it plain. Could eat it all day. lol My husband loves it, too, but he puts salt and pepper on his.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like the Daisy Brand because it has less additives. I get the 2%, I like it with season salt(pampered chef). In the summer I will add chopped vine ripe tomatoes. Super yummy and super protein source.