Quality of food?

Options
So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

What are some of your tricks? Do you read labels?

Replies

• kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel with dessert. Before I started working out I thought I'd never give up on the sweets. I'm already on the 2nd month and can barely eat a whole slice of cheesecake cuz it's overly sweet (need to have a friend help me it the slice) :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So the first ever Sonic opened where I live and everyone was like "you have to go... it's amazing". So I gave it a try and I was very disappointed. First, they don't have any real vegetarian options (they didn't even have salads lol ) so I got a mango slushy that would put anybody in diabetic coma and some overly salted and overly greasy tater tots. I couldn't even eat half before I threw that crap away. I call it crap because there is no way in hell that is food. I haven't eaten any fast food in 4 months and I don't miss it. I guess it's true that the palette does change because I rather eat spinach than a highly greasy substance. It's so sad that a double cheeseburger cost less than an apple. That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society. One thing that I am real focusing on now is QUALITY of food. Read the labels people.. is what your eating real food?

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids?

If that's the case, I'd never be able to eat anything.

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg
    24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

In regards to "tricks"...moderation. Doing this has allowed me to go further than I ever had when trying to restrict things excessively or/and cut foods out. It's also allowed me to build my willpower and self control up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids? here we go again.

here we go again
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I eat food that I like. I don't get hung up on ingredient lists and whether I can pronounce things, and this is why:

image.jpg

ETA: I see Pika has the same idea. :drinker:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Some tricks I use... If I can not pronounce the ingredients ... I don't buy it or would have this been available for my grandparents when they were kids? here we go again.

I read labels, but only for the words WHEAT, OAT, GLUTEN, MILK, or LACTOSE. I really don't care what else is in there.

Also I can pronounce scientific words with relative ease, so pronunciation isn't the best test for me...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I eat food that I like. I don't get hung up on ingredient lists and whether I can pronounce things, and this is why:

image.jpg
    this is such a silly argument.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

image.jpg

How so? And are you just going to bait people or you planning on actually contributing to the thread?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm....Sonic! Their hazelnut cream milkshakes are worth murdering over!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I read labels but I also look into the ingredients. I have learned that a lot of the ingredients I didnt recognize/couldn't pronounce weren't actually as scary as I thought they were, just different terminology.

I also like quality food. Fresh ingredients make a big difference in taste, IMO. I'd rather go to my favourite local restaurant for their 1/4 burger, homemade mayo, hand cut fries and gravy that he makes there - its actually a demi glaze simmered for days until thick enough to be a gravy. mmm.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Tips? Tricks? Don't you mean "hacks"?
  • JenniB619
    JenniB619 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There is an app called "Fooducate." I use it ALL the time. It grades your food for you if you scan the barcode before buying it. It grades items from A-D (A obviously being the best and D the worst), then it gives you alternatives if you have a low graded item. I love it and no longer purchase anything that is lower than a B! I'll admit, I get looks and stares as I'm scanning food beforeputting it in my car but IDC!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Went to Sonic expecting nutrient dense, vegetarian food options.

Left disappointed.

Hmmm.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Left disappointed.

Hmmm.

I found the salads to be entirely too full of meat, cheese, buns, and condiments.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Left disappointed.

Hmmm.

I found the salads to be entirely too full of meat, cheese, buns, and condiments.

That sounds like a pretty awesome salad.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society.

The food culture is about satisfying customers... it just so happens that most customers want double cheeseburgers and greasy fries.

Also, people have jobs because they're "all about making money."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That the food culture is all about making money and not producing a healthier society.

The food culture is about satisfying customers... it just so happens that most customers want double cheeseburgers and greasy fries.

Also, people have jobs because they're "all about making money."

I had a double cheeseburger for dinner tonight...but no fries...so I had TWO double cheeseburgers.

I suspect my biggest problem right now is that I can pronounce some really dangerous chemicals, so I have very few restrictions on what I can eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Goes to burger joint.

And is shocked at the lack of vegetarian options

And apparently buys the most expensive apples in the world.

As a bonus, doesn't seem to realize that protein is a "thing"
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, just remember that the restaurant recommendations people give might not apply so much to you. People are thinking about how much they loved their food when they give recommendations, not about what's on the menu for you. You might like HappyCow.net
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

image.jpg

How so? And are you just going to bait people or you planning on actually contributing to the thread?
    It's silly because it's (once again) playing semantics. Once again focusing on the word someone has chosen and pretending to be obtuse about what they mean. It's pretending that anyone ridiculously believes that a banana and a twinkie are the same because of the use of the word "chemical".
    It's silly and disingenuous.

If people really do equate whole fruits and vegetables with the highly processed food like substances found in the center aisles of the market, and at fast food restaurants, then, wow.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    <snip image>

The only person who seems to be trying to argue is you. The point about unpronounceable ingredients in foods is quite valid. People get hung up on scientific and "chemical" sounding names because they assume that the ingredient is some lab-manufactured monstrosity that is going to do horrible things to them, when in actuality it is something completely harmless or even good for you.