Let's talk cottage cheese

Options
12346»

Replies

• LolaG1011
    LolaG1011 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm new on MFP, but thought I'd chime in.

I like Knudsen Free the best (non-fat). It's in a white container. My trick is to "shake" the containers before purchasing. If it sounds "wet" or watery, I don't buy it. I like it best when the contents sound "firm."

Even though I love fruit and sweets, I prefer vegetables in cottage cheese. Have you tried pico de gallo and pepper? That's my all-time favorite. Or some halved cherry tomatoes, a chopped dill pickle, and black cracked pepper...YUM!
  • niemka
    niemka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can puree it to make it a creamy spread - maybe changing the consistency will help you like it. I love it on an apple-cinnamon or caramel rice cake or mixed with spices for a dip for chips/veggies.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have made smoothies with cottage cheese, and they were amazing. Use 1/2 CC to 1 part milk, add frozen fruit and honey or maple syrup.

The best one I made was 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup CC, frozen mango, 1 tbsp honey and grated ginger... it tasted like a mango lassi.

Make sure you get low or no sodium CC, though.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its really not that healthy and certainly not diet food. it is cheese and it is dense. I don't eat it
  • cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Add a packet of Dry Ranch Dressing to it (or better yet- all the gresh herbs and garlic that are in ranch) and it makes a really good dip for cucumbers or pita chips
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Small curd, and add salt and pepper. Leave out the salt if you're limiting it.
  • wink212
    wink212 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have always really liked cottage cheese, but I really don't like it too cold. I have never ever liked any sort of salad dressing but I have found that I do like a half cup of cottage cheese on top with a few sunflower seeds.

And just like everything else, I have to make sure I eat it in moderation. I could go overboard with it if I'm not careful.

Also, like others here said, it is really good with peaches. Just make sure they are fresh peaches or if they are canned they should not be in syrup.

Good luck!
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon or nutmeg
    This

Also I sometimes mix it in my oatmeal in the morning or throw it on top of my salad, Soo good with balsamic dressing..yum