Am I a horrible father?

Options

Replies

• Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't think you did anything wrong at all. I would explain to your daughter that this is natural and it will happen in life when you work your body in ways you are not accustom to. This will happen many times in her lifetime and at least now she will begin to understand it. And maybe work past it and stay on the healthy side of life! Best of luck!~
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    NO!!! It's NOT terrible. Her abs are sore because it's new to her. The more she joins you the less sore it'll be. It's good for kids to start young. IMHO.

I agree! Excellent example! High five dad!
  • alyssadoeslife
    Options
    Definitely not! Get her into a sport too! That's one thing I wish my parents had put me in.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, not horrible at all. I recently started taking my kids to the gym and local field house with me, and even though sometimes they're sore or when we play soccer or american football with whoever else is there, maybe even a little banged and bruised up... I think it's a good thing.

Too many kids today spend way too much time inside being lethargic in front of a television/phone/tablet screen or computer monitor.

I can't remember ever spending a willing moment inside as a kid, during any weather, under any circumstances... and I sure wasn't obese... until I grew up, and got lazy. But that's why I'm here, and working on it!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    NO!!! It's NOT terrible. Her abs are sore because it's new to her. The more she joins you the less sore it'll be. It's good for kids to start young. IMHO.

^

Edit: I wouldn't let wifey squash the ambition the kid has. Let good habits develop early and they stay longer and stronger :)

That would be my attitude exactly. I'd just agree to disagree with the mrs on this one.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time answering this because I feel like you are looking for ammo to argue with your wife.....

Not at all. It won't get me anywhere I just wanted to get other like minded opinions. This is something my wife and I are very far apart on unfortunately.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time answering this because I feel like you are looking for ammo to argue with your wife.....

Not at all. It won't get me anywhere I just wanted to get other like minded opinions. This is something my wife and I are very far apart on unfortunately.

she needs to join you both next time then and she can see whats really going on. good luck. its good to get your kids active now for sure!
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    oh not at all!! its great that you are setting such a great example and she wants to join in! If she was school age she could of easily gotten sore from gym or recess anyway..its a great bonding time you two can have together..and as someone previously said theres way to many kids now these days that sit around in front of tv/computers/cell phones...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No, it's awesome.

My mom had me running 10Ks with her when I was 11 years old and I LOVED it. My pediatrician said it was great for kids to do exercise like that. I also started doing very intensive yoga training at age 12. It gave me the discipline and focus to run and do yoga well into my 20s (then I got a full time job and life happened & gained weight, but at least I know I can do it!)

I'm getting back into running and yoga now and it's helping with my weight loss.

My cousin's 6 year old runs 5K races with her, he has a blast.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Not awful. I think it's AWESOME.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If she does that with you more regularly then she won't hurt so much. Keep it up. Push your kid to work hard. That's what moms and dads are there for.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    let her work out with you, better then in front of the tv , jeez , pisses me off
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options
    Thank you for all the positive replies. My wife attends Zumba a few times a week, but I almost feel like she only does it to say she's done it. I love her with all my heart, but we are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to Health and Fitness she continues to buy garbage snack and high sugar junk despite having asked her not to 100 times and I almost feel like it's an internal sabotage. I want my kids to grow up engrained with an education on being healthy and fit. What they do with that knowledge is up to them, but I want to be the best example I can be.
  • getlean414
    getlean414 Posts: 27
    Options
    Not at all in my opinion! I think its great that you're showing your daughter how to be fit and active! That's important as a human being. Shes seven, so yeah i'd say her belly hurts lol. But SHE wanted to do it, its not like you forced her to do it, if that was the case then yeah idk about that. But I honestly think, her wanting to be involved with what you're doing is awesome alone, and not only that, but what you're doing is good for you! Its a positive thing that a lot of kids miss out on!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Thank you for all the positive replies. My wife attends Zumba a few times a week, but I almost feel like she only does it to say she's done it. I love her with all my heart, but we are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to Health and Fitness she continues to buy garbage snack and high sugar junk despite having asked her not to 100 times and I almost feel like it's an internal sabotage. I want my kids to grow up engrained with an education on being healthy and fit. What they do with that knowledge is up to them, but I want to be the best example I can be.

Don't go there with the wife. Do your thing, work out with your kid, but don't go calling "sabotage" because your wife eats things that you don't like. Focus on you, split it down the middle with the kiddos, and keep going. Oh, and talk to your wife, not the internet. She won't like it when she finds this post. Just saying.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options

Don't go there with the wife. Do your thing, work out with your kid, but don't go calling "sabotage" because your wife eats things that you don't like. Focus on you, split it down the middle with the kiddos, and keep going. Oh, and talk to your wife, not the internet. She won't like it when she finds this post. Just saying.

Yeah you are right. I don't want to make it a battle with her I just do what I feel necessary and that's it. I never even comment on the food or her choices because I don't have any reason to. I love her exactly the way she is and would only want her to change if it will make her happy.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

He is a smart man. This is very good advice. So was his other response.

Edit - I just saw your response. Never mind - looks like you get it. I'll hop off now.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Yeah you are right. I don't want to make it a battle with her I just do what I feel necessary and that's it. I never even comment on the food or her choices because I don't have any reason to. I love her exactly the way she is and would only want her to change if it will make her happy.

Smart man
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options
    I didn't make this post to make her look bad I wanted to get opinions from like minded people simply on my daughter's excersize and involvement. I was frustrated because something I thought was awesome took such a crappy turn. I mean she seems perfectly fine to me, but she has complained mildly about her tummy.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes!!! totally agree.