Struggling with a toxic environment

Options
Warnings for emotional TMI!

Right now I'm struggling with a toxic home. My sister has depression and several other illnesses, and never leaves the home. She has stolen from our family in thousands of dollars - from credit cards. Like a drug addict. My mother's ex fiance was bipolar and went loco, and spiraled out of control and caused endless drama for us. My mother is an alcoholic and has been verbally abusive... suicide is also not unfamiliar in this household, and the cops have been here countless times.

I have the chance to leave. Should I? The place I'd go would be a complete upside-down change in environment and just about everything you can think of. The pros are good, though.. healthier foods in the house, regular exercise, something that is normal. Outings are usual and there is no drama. But it would, as I said, turn my world upside down. Even if it was better for me, I'd be leaving my home and my pets, and my mother and sister, who I love. I'd be leaving any sort of comfort behind and would be walking into completely uncharted territory with extremely harsh rules.

!!! My question is... have you struggled with a toxic environment or partner before? How did you handle it? Did it effect your physical health as well as mental? Share your stories with me... and friend me if you wish. I have a long way to go in getting healthier physically and healing emotionally.

I just wanted to get this off my chest. I hope such information is not inappropriate! I want opinions and want to see other people's stories.

Replies

• karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Should you leave?
    Absolutely.

This is the only life you have. Don't spend it worrying about whether you're going to make it another day.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Should you leave?
    Absolutely.

This is the only life you have. Don't spend it worrying about whether you're going to make it another day.
    +1
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I understand that you love your mother and sister very much. Staying there is just going to bring you down with them. I would definitely leave. Where is this new place? What are the extremely harsh rules?
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You need to take care of YOU. It is not your responsibility to look after your mother and sister. You can still love them AND love yourself. Making yourself a better person should make them happy for you, and may even inspire them to better themselves. Ultimately, it is YOUR life-- your mother and sister will not be around for every experience in your life-- YOU WILL. What kind of company do you want yourself to be? Be strong, do the right thing for yourself-- it's not easy when you're a loving, giving person to put your own needs ahead of others, but it's necessary to thrive. Don't ever feel guilty for it. :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Adults grow up and move away from home. It's your time to be on your own. Go.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think you should leave for one year and reevaluate from there. One year passes quickly, you can live anywhere for a year.
    At 24, you need to breathe some fresh air and get your legs under you. There is something very wrong when you find an obviously toxic situation comforting. It doesn't mean you can't visit them or spend time with them in other environments, and if your sister is still a minor, i highly suggest getting social services involved. They can direct you all to appropriate therapy and support groups, if you don't already go to them.

You can do this.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you can't find peace, then you can't help others find it either. Do what's best for you first. Then you can help them find assistance.

If you starve yourself to feed the needy children, then both of you die in the end. (That sounded a bit harsh, but I believe the point was taken.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Moving out (you aren't leaving, you're just moving out) does not mean you love them any less. You owe it to you to give yourself the best chances, and if you get yourself in a better place, it might even put you in a better position to help them.

I think you should go for it. You have one life and you have to live it for you. You aren't abandoning them, you still love them, you're just growing up.

It's a scary change, anything that turns your life upside down it, but that's part of growing, and can be the most exhilarating (or scary) experience of your life. You owe it to yourself to give it a shot.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Should you leave?
    Absolutely.

I totally agree with this.

Wishing you the best, OP!
  • Allen_Mohs
    Allen_Mohs Posts: 3
    Options
    Your mental and physical health are much more important than anything else in your life. Don't let the toxicity tear you down. You can still love your mother and sister. Leave!!!!!
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I grew up in a very similar situation and I completely understand how you feel, but you MUST leave for your own sanity. I moved out when I was just barely 17. That was 23 years ago and I don't regret it a bit. I kept in contact with my family, but sadly not a lot changed in those years. It was toxic when I lived there and continued to be toxic. Last September I finally had to completely cut them off from my life. I'm not sure if it's going to be permanent, but it was necessary. I love my family, my mom and sisters....yet I can't allow the drama and stress and hatefulness into my life any more. I actually had to take my phone down to my carrier and block them because once I decided I needed to cut them off they "blew" up my phone with obscene and hateful texts and would not stop. I haven't spoken to or seen any of them since. I'm bipolar and I'm compliant with my medication. I'm really sorry you have someone in your household who doesn't appear to be compliant. Bipolar is treatable as long as the medication is continued, if it's not it can be devastating to everyone who is in contact with the person. Strict rules and a better environment may be just what you need to get your life moving in the right direction. Try not to be afraid, think of it as a new chapter and a brand new chance for YOU. Feel free to add me as a friend.... :flowerforyou:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Warnings for emotional TMI!

Right now I'm struggling with a toxic home. My sister has depression and several other illnesses, and never leaves the home. She has stolen from our family in thousands of dollars - from credit cards. Like a drug addict. My mother's ex fiance was bipolar and went loco, and spiraled out of control and caused endless drama for us. My mother is an alcoholic and has been verbally abusive... suicide is also not unfamiliar in this household, and the cops have been here countless times.

I have the chance to leave. Should I? The place I'd go would be a complete upside-down change in environment and just about everything you can think of. The pros are good, though.. healthier foods in the house, regular exercise, something that is normal. Outings are usual and there is no drama. But it would, as I said, turn my world upside down. Even if it was better for me, I'd be leaving my home and my pets, and my mother and sister, who I love. I'd be leaving any sort of comfort behind and would be walking into completely uncharted territory with extremely harsh rules.

!!! My question is... have you struggled with a toxic environment or partner before? How did you handle it? Did it effect your physical health as well as mental? Share your stories with me... and friend me if you wish. I have a long way to go in getting healthier physically and healing emotionally.

I just wanted to get this off my chest. I hope such information is not inappropriate! I want opinions and want to see other people's stories.

You said this...

"I'd be leaving any sort of comfort behind and would be walking into completely uncharted territory with extremely harsh rules. "

Are you leaving one place that you have no control over your life for another place that sounds as if you will have no control?

Yes...I have lived in a toxic environment...I know what that does to someone. In my case...it didn't end well. It has taken many years for me to get my life back...for me to be in control and not let the actions of others dictate my life.

No one should make rules about your life...except for yourself.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The decision is yours and yours alone, but based on the level of detail you've supplied, it sounds like you've already thought it through.

If you know the environment is toxic & will not advance the goals you want to achieve in your life, why stay?

The fear of the unknown is something that holds many back. Don't let it do that to you because a much less complicated, less toxic world is out there.

The 180 degree turn you are talking about making will open you up to new people, new experiences & most importantly, a likely healthier environment, which will help you in the long run.

The only person's path you can control is your own. Life is too short to do otherwise.

Take the ball and start running. I learned (the hard way) toxicity breeds negativity, which breeds low self worth, apathy & a lack of desire to change bad habits into good ones. You will gain strength in breaking the cycle....

Hope this helps
    Chris
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Move out.

My parents used me as a mediator from the time I was in my early teens. More than once I had to diffuse a potentially violent situation. When I finally had a real chance to move out, I was terrified that with me gone, there would be no one to stop bad things from happening (I have a younger brother, but his response to my parents' fights has always been to hide away in his room until things are over).
    I left. Nothing terrible has happened. I've lived on my own, with my partner, for just over two years, and the worst thing that has really happened at my parents house is that there is no one to cook dinner most nights (without me to make him do it, my brother won't, my mother is too sick, and my father isn't home from work early enough), so I am certain my mother and brother are not eating as well as they should (they eat *enough*, they could just eat *better*). Nothing has exploded. If anything, relationships are probably *more* functional, without me as a crutch to lean on. I see my parents regularly and things are actually, overall, pretty good.
  • fourfancy
    fourfancy Posts: 4
    Options
    How old are you? One of your other posts indicated that you may be a teenager.
    Can you describe the harsh rules of the new place?
  • LilyGessert
    Options
    I can understand worrying about your pets :( Hugs
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I worry you leaving one toxic environment for another... as others have already asked, what are the harsh rules at the new place. I sure hope its not a controling boyfriend. We can only speculate until you fill us in. We care about you...
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Are these your only choices? What is this place with harsh rules ?? You can go and do self-preservation and still love
    your mom and sister. :ohwell:
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    kinda sounds like a kid considering a group home..... clearly there is more information that is being left out. hard to really make an honest judgment this way. if this is really a 24 year old adult then she should move out but as an adult where she can have some freedom and experience life normally. not going from home with harsh conditions to another.