cut the SUGAR out

Options
This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When you say "this time," what did you cut out the first time that didn't work?

What I'm getting at is that you don't need to eliminate sugar, unless you have some medical reason for doing so. How about a calorie deficit instead?
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

Try to use fruit. If you like yogurt, it is a good way to add a little sweetness. You can add a slice of apple diced up and a couple slices of banana. Just try not to eat too much fruit... It will take a little while to wean yourself off sugar; but you will feel great!!!

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to eliminate unwanted ingredients, whether it be sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, or mono sodium glutamate, or partially hydrogenated oils- is simply to avoid processed foods.
    Buy whole foods and cook.
    It's healthier, it's cheaper, and it tastes better.
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yah I said this time because I have been here for awhile. Last August I was at 189 now I am 212. However my kids started soccer and I feel it is more important to coach soccer and be part of their life than to go to the gym. Trust me I am busy yah I could go from 6 hours of sleep to four and work out in the morning but no..... That is not healthy either.Anyway I use to work out and diet with a passion. But as I stated my priorities have changed and I know enough about body building that 80% of your physique is Diet. I also realize that we Americans consume far to much sugar. Look around the country it is easy to see we have an obesity epidemic here.
  • Coconut1981
    Coconut1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and this is the main reason it has taken me so long to lose the excess weight. Sugar is the most addictive substance I have ever come across.

I find that if I make sure to get enough protein (fish, lean meats, lentils, plain yogurt), and fill up on that plus salads, vegetables, and low GI fruits, I am stronger mentally and emotionally, and less susceptible to sugar binges. For me, sugar slip-ups occur during those moments of weakness when I've let myself get too hungry and am also tired, stressed, or upset.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, homey. Caloric surpluses do.
  • TinaFlynnHopkins
    Options
    Hello, I also love my sugar! I have been using splenda. I have tried many different things, and it's what I have found, to work for me.
    I put it on my strawberry's, oatmeal, and I also bake with it. It's the closest I have found to sugar. Happy hunting.
    Tina Hopkins
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am finding success "this time" because I am including sweets in my diet. In the past I tried restricting food items that I thought were "bad", and eventually gave into binging on the very foods I had restricted.

I have lost 60 pounds, and just about everyday I have some sort of treat. I no longer view food as good or bad. Sure there are foods that have more nutritional value, but as long as I am meeting my protein and fat goals everyday, I see no reason to not include some chocolate, ice cream, or whatever food I love.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar = energy, of course you will feel tired by cutting out energy from your diet.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Can I have your sugar?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Poor sugar - getting the bash so often...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....

^this
  • johnjuarez34
    Options
    Being diabetic I struggle with the sugar issue myself I can only tell you to set your sugar intake goal from week to week if you try to eliminate you may find yourself jus giving up . Its been 7 wks for me and my glucose levels are the best they have been in many years . Good luck
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    However my kids started soccer and I feel it is more important to coach soccer and be part of their life than to go to the gym.

Do you even futbol?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Perfectly stated.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Nailed it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

QFT
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ... my kids started soccer and I feel it is more important to coach soccer and be part of their life than to go to the gym.

I think that's great! If you are running the field with them, you are prolly getting plenty of cardio ... look up some raw vegan recipes, even if you are not vegan. This weekend I made some brownie bites for someone else and me ... simple, 3 ingreds.

1 c. walnuts
    1 c. dried figs (don't recc., ended up with a grainy texture) orig rec. called for raisins, figs were on sale ;-)
    2 tbsp. to 1/4 100% cocoa powder, adjust to taste, I like lots and bitter choc.

put in food processor, blend until it sticks together, roll into balls, tasted pretty good! took care of my choc. craving.

any dried fruit should work, cherries ought to be good. Remember dried fruit is calorie dense.