cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    The easiest way to eliminate unwanted ingredients, whether it be sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, or mono sodium glutamate, or partially hydrogenated oils- is simply to avoid processed foods.
    Buy whole foods and cook.
    It's healthier, it's cheaper, and it tastes better.

I completely agree!!! I gave up sugar the 11th march this year.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Why do people hate sugar so much? There is nothing *wrong* with sugar when it is consumed in moderation. I just ate some chocolate. I fit it into my day and I enjoyed every bite. The difference between "then" and "now" is the quantity of sweets I consume. Eating foods that I enjoy in a much lower quantity makes me feel like a regular person. It calms my cravings so I don't "give in" and end up consuming half of a pan of brownies or housing a whole pint of ice cream in a sitting.

Think long term. Are you willing to give up anything with added sugar for the rest of your life? I know that I couldn't. I want to enjoy this life. Losing weight might take me longer because I do treat myself, but I'm ok with that. I would rather lose a pound each week and enjoy the journey than make myself miserable to lose weight more quickly.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and this is the main reason it has taken me so long to lose the excess weight. Sugar is the most addictive substance I have ever come across.

I find that if I make sure to get enough protein (fish, lean meats, lentils, plain yogurt), and fill up on that plus salads, vegetables, and low GI fruits, I am stronger mentally and emotionally, and less susceptible to sugar binges. For me, sugar slip-ups occur during those moments of weakness when I've let myself get too hungry and am also tired, stressed, or upset.

I like this advice. I think most people will tell you this... Sugar, most definitely will make you fat and more than that... It will age you, it will zap your energy, etc. etc. Our bodies were made for food, real food, not stuff in a package.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

ps.. all you have to do is reduce it to 10 percent of your calories... pretty much established by the medical community
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....

^^^I :heart: you.^^^

This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him. Not the people who are afraid of sugar.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel best. I must say that sugar has never caused me problems. I came to MFP to lose 8.5 lbs down to my weight class for competitive kick boxing. The only thing I changed was the amount of calories I ate. I wasn't actually overweight clinically at 5'9" and 153lbs.

I'm quick, agile and getting even stronger lifting heavy weights now. I have a sweet tooth that I indulge. I do have to avoid gluten (celiac) so cutting out food wouldn't even be a big deal for me.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar, don't use fruit or diet sweet drinks to replace sugar.
    Add some chromium and zinc supplements--these will help reduce the cravings.
    After two solid days of no sweet tasting food whatsoever, you should start to experience fewer and fewer cravings.
    Drink lots of unflavored water.
    No dairy unless its cream. No yogurt. No cereal. No oatmeal. No rice.
    No fruits.
    Try to eat lean protein and veggies as much as possible.
    Starches will cause your cravings to come back. Its a never-ending cause and effect.
    Good luck!
    PS....check out Dr. Hyman and Mark's Daily Apple.
    Many people successfully make this lifestyle change.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Its really really simple people.
    Some people's bodies react to sugar differently than yours.
    Their cells are not as receptive or sensitive to insulin as yours are.
    That's it in a nutshell.
    So some people do not have to limit carbs in order to lose weight.
    Yay for them!
    Others can only loose weight by limiting carbs.
    Is this soooo difficult to understand?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Yay for them!

Please direct me to evidence that limiting carbs is some peoples ONLY way of losing weight because a calorie deficit doesn't work for them.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Yay for them!

lol - right. "Can only lose weight by limiting carbs."
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Yay for them!

Yes it is difficult to understand - because its all kinds of madey uppey
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Yay for them!

Some people limit gluten, fat, sugar, all carbohydrates, meat, dairy, all animal products, etc. etc. and lose weight. The same people also often gain it back, because, you see, at first, they have a calorie deficit because they haven't figured out yet what to eat to replace the foods they are avoiding. Many gain it all back because the food industry is very good at finding out the latest trend and catering to it, and it fills the void with *sugar free* , *organic* , *fat-free* etc. processed packaged foods that are easy to consume.

I am hypoglycaemic myself, and had gestational diabetes with two pregnancies even though I didn't gain more than twenty pounds. I have learned that as long as I don't go all day without protein, or consume pure sugar alone in great quantities, I do very well. I can lose weight, maintain my weight, and I don't deprive myself, all at the same time.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

Well if food labels had SUGAR plastered on them in all caps, that might make it easier to spot and avoid.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

PPS - no, don't check those sites out. Avoid them like the plague.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    That's it in a nutshell.
    Yay for them!

lol - right. "Can only lose weight by limiting carbs."

Maybe you can loose weight by cutting carbs but I would rather lose weight by counting calories :happy:
  • kbole101
    kbole101 Posts: 2
    Options
    One way to cut sugar is to use a substitute or just try avoiding unhealthy sweets and grab some fruit instead to curb your addiction.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar, don't use fruit or diet sweet drinks to replace sugar.
    Add some chromium and zinc supplements--these will help reduce the cravings.
    After two solid days of no sweet tasting food whatsoever, you should start to experience fewer and fewer cravings.
    Drink lots of unflavored water.
    No dairy unless its cream. No yogurt. No cereal. No oatmeal. No rice.
    No fruits.
    Try to eat lean protein and veggies as much as possible.
    Starches will cause your cravings to come back. Its a never-ending cause and effect.
    Good luck!

I agree with the idea that cutting down on added sugar and added sugar products will help many people lose weight - because it reduces the overall calorie intake.
    If you drink several cups of tea or coffee a day and you stop adding sugar to them, if you stop drinking sugary drinks like soft drinks and cordial, if you replace your regular cake dessert with fresh fruit, this sort of thing- you can cut a lot of calories from your day whist still having plenty of filling and nutritious food.

However above post is just silly - there is no need to avoid fruit or artificially sweetened drinks or dairy foods or yogurt or cereal or oatmeal or rice.
    Of course, as long as the total calories is within calorie allowance.
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    While I didn't aim to cut processed sugar out, I can tell you that after 4 months of trying to cut down on processed foods in general I find that fruit satisfies my sweet tooth pretty well, and now when I do have processed sugar...candy, cupcake, etc, I don't feel like I crave more after I've eaten one serving or a partial serving.
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Aren't small steps always better?
    Instead of just eliminating sugar altogether, simply try to get smaller dosage. Less sugar with your tea or coffee. Replace white sugar with brown (you'll probably notice it's less sweet). Less sweet drinks (unless you juice them yourself) less ketchup, etc.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    In......:drinker: