Am I a horrible father?

Options
1235»

Replies

• GillaMahogany
    GillaMahogany Posts: 133
    Options
    Sounds like your wife should exercise with both you and your daughter next time!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You are a wonderful father! Not a horrible father.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As long as she was having fun, and you weren't playing "boot camp". I like the poster above who said to make it up to your wife and play barbies with her for a little while, or set up a tea party for the three of you.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i wish my parents had modelled exercise for me. :cry:
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Fat2FitMyDrive Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    She had a field day today at school and had a blast she was showing other kids in her class how to do burpees! I think she is hooked, again thank you so much for all the positive replies! I'll keep showing her the ropes as long as she is interested and wants to continue. Mom will come around I'm sure!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    She had a field day today at school and had a blast she was showing other kids in her class how to do burpees! I think she is hooked, again thank you so much for all the positive replies! I'll keep showing her the ropes as long as she is interested and wants to continue. Mom will come around I'm sure!

Good for her!

THAT IS AWESOME!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    And that's difference between people born in the 80's or before and kids today.... when we were kids we were outside running around all the time. Playing on swings, climbing trees, jump the creek, kickball etc... we didn't slow down long enough to be sore. We didn't die from physical activity ! It's healthy ! Were there times i was sore as a kid, yes of course i was an athlete and i was the kind kid who would run til i puked then run some more because that's what coach told me to do. I was a pitcher and i also caught , there were times of soreness and there were also times for recovery too. Not enough kids are encouraged to be active, so props to you !!! Not to mention what better way to spend quality time with your daughter than doing something that can be fun and healthy ??
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This is no different than what gym class used to be in school before it got sissyfied. Your daughter's working muscles she isn't used to. It's good for her and since the schools don't do a proper gym class anymore it's up to parents.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This is no different than what gym class used to be in school before it got sissyfied. Your daughter's working muscles she isn't used to. It's good for her and since the schools don't do a proper gym class anymore it's up to parents.

^^^^^^
    This!!
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options
    I just got home from work and asked her about the field day because I wasn't there mom was and she was so excited to tell me how she was teaching her friends to do burpees. She said her tummy bothers her a little, but she's fine. I agree with a couple of the statements made regarding our childhoods. I was always outside. Spent days playing basketball, playing in the woods, catching frogs, roller blading, riding my bike, etc etc. It was nothing for me to venture 3-4 miles from my house and sorely walk home my feet and legs on fire only to do it all over again the next day. Sure I broke a few bones in the process, got some stitches, and even found myself in a little trouble now and again, but shoot I had an awesome childhood OUTSIDE!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old daughter decided yesterday that she wanted to excersize with me. I did just a mild set consisting of jumping jacks, running man's, seal jumping jacks, crunches, bicycles kicks, and I did some burpees which she was intriqued by and did them with me. She mimicked me and had a blast doing it. Today she says her stomach hurts (abs) and my wife is all ticked off at me for letting her do the workout with me. I didn't force her to she just wanted to do it with me. Is this terrible? I don't think so, but I guess I could be wrong.

Good for her and you.

Make sure she comes back for round 2 after a rest day
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    young girls are very impressionable with body image issues. be mindful of the words you choose.

focus on health aspect , ie how ACTivities are good for our heart, our lungs, our circulation, our brain. something we look forward to and makes a positive difference the rest of the day.
    and learning a new skill/sport/activity is a plus!!

and not even mention looks aspect , ie "lose weight" or "get trim" or "get a flat stomach". just my opinion.

btw~ glad to hear your daughter enjoys multiple activities, including dance lessons.

http://www.nedc.com.au/body-image

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CF0QFjAM&url=http://www.healthunit.org/school/resources/Helping%20Young%20People%20Develop%20a%20Positive%20Body%20ImageLGL.pdf&ei=SaN6U7WHHI-jyATKwIC4DQ&usg=AFQjCNEMBbJUrcz_xACBrlpE68qs2xAKWA&sig2=_1xuRCBNA0109kY4Dy--vw&bvm=bv.67229260,d.aWw&cad=rja
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    again thank you so much for all the positive replies! I'll keep showing her the ropes as long as she is interested and wants to continue. Mom will come around I'm sure!

btw~ Mom may come around alot quicker if you stay real low-key with all this.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I really wish someone had inspired me when I was much younger and could go hand over hand across the monkey bars and do pull ups without thinking twice and hang from my knees. I wish someone had inspired me to keep my strength and flexibility instead of starting all over at 40 with arthritis in my hip and laughable attempts at chin ups. Don't let your wife discourage your daughter. She needs to gain what she can while she's young, and work to keep it into adulthood. A habit of maintaining good health is one of the very best gifts you could ever give her.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    Sounds like your wife should exercise with both you and your daughter next time!

to win mom over, maybe mom can teach the daughter some new Zumba moves .
    and then later, dad can show some exercise moves.
    sounds like family fun !
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    That's not terrible at all! We used to do a family taekwondo class that had kids as young as 5 and they were expected to do all the same stuff we were. She's only sore because she's not used to it.
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    It's not like you were yelling at her saying "Do more!" or "go harder!"

She saw it as a bonding experience and it was! I'm sure you both had fun during it :) If she wants to work out with you again next time maybe tell her that you need do your work out set first but then do a separate super easy one with her? Or have her help you with easy things? Your wife shouldn't be super mad..that's silly.
  • Fat2FitMyDrive
    Options
    We spoke last night and both agreed that if she wants to continue we will let her, and exactly as stated I'll do my workout then have her do one with me as posted by somebody else earlier where I will let her be the trainer. Last time she was trying to teach me her Hip Hop recital dance... Dad has no moves! Lol!
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it..my 6 year old daughter gets right there with me when I'm dong T25/Jillian Michaels/Hip Hop Abs even if 'm just stretching. When she's fed up she stops. Don't worry they're more resilient than we realize and they do know their limits and it is a good thing for her to develop healthy habits at a very young age.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old joins in with me! She has a little witches broom that she squats sooooo cute!!!