cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• bleweydgrl
    bleweydgrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi op,

I am not an expert about sugar but thought I would share what has been working for me for the last couple of weeks. I have had problems with fatigue for some time and so I adjusted my macros to 40% protein 30%carb and 30% fat. Then I try to front load my day with carbs and make supper more of a protein moment with steak, chicken or egg white omlettes and veggies (carb but not starchy). This has helped me soooo much with my energy problems! I think I was taking in far too many carbs for my body to use and the sugar load in my system just made me too tired. I also do heavy lifting which has been brilliant for increasing my strength and the two things together is what has worked for me. Good luck to you op!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

"Trigger food" is about as much of a BS excuse as "sugar addiction"
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce sugar in my diet. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant and I find it extremely hard to lose weight and limit sugar. Yes I know all I need is to stick to a calorie deficite and I will lose weight, but once I start eating sugar I find it so difficult to stop! That stuff is addictive for me.

What I am doing (I lose around 30lb of my 40lb loss like this but have been off plan for a while!!) is concentrate on reducing sugar, and not just carbs. I eat all vegetables, including carby root veggies. These don't seem to kick off cravings for me. I'm trying to include more wholegrain foods and stick to low sugar fruits. I will treat myself to a piece of very dark chocolate if I want it.

But sweets, regular chocolate bars, candy etc. Once I start eating I lose all willpower so I know that if I can cut it out of my diet and replace with other things, my weight loss will definitely be more successful.

Good luck! :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    One way to cut sugar is to use a substitute or just try avoiding unhealthy sweets and grab some fruit instead to curb your addiction.
    But, fruit has sugar in it. . . .
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Good luck

Is there science behind "trigger food"? Just curious.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....
    I agree with you, of course we get fat if we eat more than we need, but WHY do we have an Obesity epidemic? WHY can't we push ourselves away from the table, WHY do we consume more calories than we need? Do we in reality have a Lack of Self-Discipline Epidemic? Have our genes altered significantly in just one generation? Or has something in our environment changed, making it too hard for too many people to maintain a healthy weight?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    One way to cut sugar is to use a substitute or just try avoiding unhealthy sweets and grab some fruit instead to curb your addiction.
    But, fruit has sugar in it. . . .

Shhhhhh they don't know that
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

Is there science disproving it? - just curious
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Good luck

You're asking that they prove a negative?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yah I said this time because I have been here for awhile. Last August I was at 189 now I am 212. However my kids started soccer and I feel it is more important to coach soccer and be part of their life than to go to the gym. Trust me I am busy yah I could go from 6 hours of sleep to four and work out in the morning but no..... That is not healthy either.Anyway I use to work out and diet with a passion. But as I stated my priorities have changed and I know enough about body building that 80% of your physique is Diet. I also realize that we Americans consume far to much sugar. Look around the country it is easy to see we have an obesity epidemic here.

Well, I'm a female in UK, and did some research for you. I hope this helps.
    www.menshealth.co.uk/_mobile/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/11-carbs-that-should-be-in-your-diet
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

You're asking that they prove a negative?

No - I and many other's believe that certain foods trigger hormone releases that increase the psychological craving for certain types of food.

Until I have conclusive proof that this is not the case and evidence that such cravings are a result of something else, my stand point will be my stand point.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

Hence the BS. No such thing as "trigger foods" - just excuses.

So nothing conclusive to disprove trigger foods, just your opinion. :smile:
  • sms9497
    sms9497 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed foods. That way the "added" sugar will be something you control. I really don't mind/track natural occuring sugar in fruit, milk, etc. Good luck!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    We have an Obesity epidemic because we can't push ourselves away from the table and consume more calories than we need. Sugar is not evil, I have never tracked a single gram of sugar, have lost over 300 pounds, and still enjoy a bowl of ice cream every night... Hit your caloric intake and macros for whatever you are trying to do (lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight) that is the key....
    I agree with you, of course we get fat if we eat more than we need, but WHY do we have an Obesity epidemic? WHY can't we push ourselves away from the table, WHY do we consume more calories than we need? Do we in reality have a Lack of Self-Discipline Epidemic? Have our genes altered significantly in just one generation? Or has something in our environment changed, making it too hard for too many people to maintain a healthy weight?

Of course. Two things, one is access, we have access to more food than ever in history. It's not the type of food, it's just food and plenty of it. Second, we live in a time/culture where self control is a super power and is not rewarded. Therefore, people with access to plenty of food and no self control get fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar, don't use fruit or diet sweet drinks to replace sugar.
    Add some chromium and zinc supplements--these will help reduce the cravings.
    After two solid days of no sweet tasting food whatsoever, you should start to experience fewer and fewer cravings.
    Drink lots of unflavored water.
    No dairy unless its cream. No yogurt. No cereal. No oatmeal. No rice.
    No fruits.
    Try to eat lean protein and veggies as much as possible.
    Starches will cause your cravings to come back. Its a never-ending cause and effect.
    Good luck!
    PS....check out Dr. Hyman and Mark's Daily Apple.
    Many people successfully make this lifestyle change.

I agree with the idea that cutting down on added sugar and added sugar products will help many people lose weight - because it reduces the overall calorie intake.
    If you drink several cups of tea or coffee a day and you stop adding sugar to them, if you stop drinking sugary drinks like soft drinks and cordial, if you replace your regular cake dessert with fresh fruit, this sort of thing- you can cut a lot of calories from your day whist still having plenty of filling and nutritious food.

However above post is just silly - there is no need to avoid fruit or artificially sweetened drinks or dairy foods or yogurt or cereal or oatmeal or rice.
    Of course, as long as the total calories is within calorie allowance.

Agreed cutting back on sugar - especially from processed junk food is a quick and easy way to reduce overall calorie intake.

As simple sugars are non-essential and empty calories, cutting back on it is an easy solution to getting into a calorie deficit.

I also would agree with not cutting out fruit, but I personally have reduced my fruit intake and increased my veg intake.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Good luck

Hence the BS. No such thing as "trigger foods" - just excuses.

So nothing conclusive to disprove trigger foods, just your opinion. :smile:

Why would I prove a negative? It's your BS, not mine :huh:
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Right On Ppl. Apparently I found a good thread topic, thank you for all your help and advice. I will try to take into consideration some of the ideas presented through out this thread.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I started with coffee. after a while I got used to the non sugar taste. it I HAVE to have it taste sweet, I use sugar free flavored creamer. Yeah, it's prob bad for you.

What gets me is the non sweet stuff that has sugar in it, like ketchup.

I do like pie, though, and I make it with white sugar, brown sugar, the works. but I only make pie like twice a year.

it's tough esp when there are so many nice bakeries in my neighborhood.