What's wrong with "added sugar"?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In for "trigger foods" and sugar toxins

Okay, so "toxin" is an inappropriate adjective for sugar. But "trigger" is right on the money for me. If I have a little, I want a lot. Doesn't happen with any other food.

So any saccharide consumed in a small amount leads to you wanting more?

No but some high GI foods have been shown to increase stimulation in the brain regions associated with reward and craving.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I hate when people use the "there's no nutritional benefit to added sugar" argument. It's like saying you shouldn't play video games unless you work in that field because it doesn't directly benefit your life or career. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it every now and then.

I think most people point out the nutritional insignificance of sugar to explain why they are cutting it back. Also most people doing this are struggling with keeping there calories in a deficit and see sugar as an easy option to achieve their calorie deficit.

I'm not sure many people are arguing that if you have calories to spare and micros covered that you shouldn't indulge every now and then.

Yes, it's a fine reason to cut back. However, it isn't a good argument in the "sugar is bad" scenario.

I personally do not believe that in moderation sugar is bad. IMO it's neutral - I certainly do not see it as good.

If it contributes to a person's happiness and isn't causing harm, how is it anything but good? Anyway, this is definitely an opinionated point and not really relevant.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

"empty calories" ain't no such animal.

If it has calories, it provides energy, it it provides energy it isn't empty.

You're right: empty calories do in fact provide energy. Outside of water and such, everything has energy regardless of what exactly you're consuming.

The 'empty' part of the phrase 'empty calories' is talking about the fact that these foods' don't provide (b)micro(/b) nutrients in those allotted calories. They never claimed to be calories that were void of energy.

Sugar is a nutrient, stricto sensu.

Edited for clearer understanding! :smile:

Ah, but they do provide macro nutrient value hence "empty calories" being a misnomer.
    A long distance runner needing a "quick fix" of energy in the middle of a race is probably not best served by a bowl of broccoli.

It falsely assigns the idea that it has no nutritional worth. Completely incorrect - in a bulking regimen, I love all the extra chocolate I get to eat....
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Okay, so "toxin" is an inappropriate adjective for sugar. But "trigger" is right on the money for me. If I have a little, I want a lot. Doesn't happen with any other food.

So having an apple leads to you craving more?
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I try to limit it because I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and with this, I'm more apt to develop diabetes and I don't want to deal with that. I would personally rather all of my sugar come from real foods, I am trying to stay away from processed anything for the most part.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    :wink:

Having English lollies does. Proof.

:wink: :tongue: :wink:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    :wink:

Having English lollies does. Proof.

:wink: :tongue: :wink:

Well obv - and pengiuns :laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

"empty calories" ain't no such animal.

If it has calories, it provides energy, it it provides energy it isn't empty.

You're right: empty calories do in fact provide energy. Outside of water and such, everything has energy regardless of what exactly you're consuming.

The 'empty' part of the phrase 'empty calories' is talking about the fact that these foods' don't provide (b)micro(/b) nutrients in those allotted calories. They never claimed to be calories that were void of energy.

Sugar is a nutrient, stricto sensu.

Edited for clearer understanding! :smile:

Ah, but they do provide macro nutrient value hence "empty calories" being a misnomer.
    A long distance runner needing a "quick fix" of energy in the middle of a race is probably not best served by a bowl of broccoli.

It falsely assigns the idea that it has no nutritional worth. Completely incorrect - in a bulking regimen, I love all the extra chocolate I get to eat....

Well I suppose it's all down to you individual interpretation of the term empty-calorie. I tend not to read everything so literally!!!

If some one says empty calorie to me I understand that it is a calorie void of vitamins, minerals and fibre. I would not even consider it being void of energy.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

So any saccharide consumed in a small amount leads to you wanting more?

Lol, I know this game. But I will play anyway. There is a threshold amount of sugar, that varies depending on circumstances (hormones, stress etc) that will trigger cravings. On rare occasions a sweet fruit like pineapple, or white bread/rice will do it, but generally the sweetness has to be more intense. It's never happened with milk. Can't play further right now though, the stage is yours.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself from most added sugar years ago. The first departure was sweet tea. Then I discovered some really good tasting tea out there. I doubt it would help anyone to hear my thoughts on processed sugar. So I’ll leave it at this; when I consider the calories and nutritional benefit of adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to my oatmeal, I think Wow! I could have had a V8. It’s a personal choice.

Eat all the added sugar you want. If you’re not happy with the result, change.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

You've seen the apple diet too huh? I'm a sucker for the pink lady variety myself.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Added Sugar means Added Calories

A 'no sugar added' fruit Popsicle or ice cream means that I can have just a little more of something I enjoy where as if they increase the sugar content I can only have less if I expect to meet my calories.
    5 g of sugar versus 22 g of sugar
    20 calories versus 120 calories
    Get it yet?

Fruit sugar is naturally occurring in the fruit and its not the same as adding granulated sugar, corn syrup, etc to a food product

Diabetics benefit from no sugar added products, so do people who genuinely have sensitivities to sugar.

ETA: Another post made me also wanna say - Sugary sweet stuff is tasty true! but when you learn to eat foods that do not have a ton of sugar 'added' in my experience you actually learn to really taste what your'e ingesting

(Also, no such thing as an empty calorie unless its water, water has no calories. Every calorie has a cause and effect in your body)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I hate when people use the "there's no nutritional benefit to added sugar" argument. It's like saying you shouldn't play video games unless you work in that field because it doesn't directly benefit your life or career. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting you, there's nothing wrong with enjoying it every now and then.

I think most people point out the nutritional insignificance of sugar to explain why they are cutting it back. Also most people doing this are struggling with keeping there calories in a deficit and see sugar as an easy option to achieve their calorie deficit.

I'm not sure many people are arguing that if you have calories to spare and micros covered that you shouldn't indulge every now and then.

Yes, it's a fine reason to cut back. However, it isn't a good argument in the "sugar is bad" scenario.

I personally do not believe that in moderation sugar is bad. IMO it's neutral - I certainly do not see it as good.

If it contributes to a person's happiness and isn't causing harm, how is it anything but good? Anyway, this is definitely an opinionated point and not really relevant.

:smile:
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between a bite of dark chocolate with dinner, a can of Coke with lunch, and the sheer volume of sugar I put on my cereal as a kid. If you can manage your lifestyle while bankrolling the local candy shop, all power to you. Personally, as much as I love RMCF, I have to limit my trips to biannually to avoid buckeye saturation.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I weaned myself from most added sugar years ago. The first departure was sweet tea. Then I discovered some really good tasting tea out there. I doubt it would help anyone to hear my thoughts on processed sugar. So I’ll leave it at this; when I consider the calories and nutritional benefit of adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to my oatmeal, I think Wow! I could have had a V8. It’s a personal choice.

34 cals?

I certainly wouldn't put a V-8 in oatmeal. Blech.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

You've seen the apple diet too huh? I'm a sucker for the pink lady variety myself.

Those are my favourite as well :drinker:
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options

34 cals?

I certainly wouldn't put a V-8 in oatmeal. Blech.

If you fail to get the point, diet is not your issue.
  • LloydSev
    LloydSev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

This documentary is all about Sugar and it's role in American diets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Certainly an unbiased source
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Certainly an unbiased source

Isn't everyone?