cut the SUGAR out

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Excess sugar in the blood gets converted to fat.

False. Excess calories become fat. That is anything eaten in a surplus.

Nope, it's definitely glucose the person above is talking about.

I assume they are talking about carbs.

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.
    So eating 10,000 calories of chicken breast won't make you fat? Fascinating.

So how did you come up with that conclusion?

Common sense?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.

Common sense?

How?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Common sense?

How?

Um. Because excess calories make you fat?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    I"m with the Community here, sugar is not evil and with moderation is a fine part of any balanced diet. Giving up candy, chocolate, cake, ice cream, margaritas, and etc is not a realistic approach to any long term diet. You can have all of these things, so long as you practice moderation.

If you eat nothing but ice cream and drink sugared soda all day you will gain weight if you create a calorie surplus, you can also gain weight by eating too much broccoli, if you eat it at a calorie surplus. Same goes for chicken breast, protein in general, whole foods, processed foods, junk foods, twinkies and the list goes on, you will gain weight if you eat at a calorie surplus.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Why do people defend sugar on this site. Are you working for the sugar industry? It has no nutritional value that I know of, so if you are trying to lose weight, it seems logical to cut out foods that are empty calories. Congratulations to those of you that can eat whatever you want! How nice for those of you who have no clue what it feels like to be a carb addict. Tired of seeing this back lash everyday. People trying to eat healthier and you knocking them down. REALLY?

Actually, the problem here is that people in the forums feel like they have to operate in extremes. That anti-sugar crusade automatically believes (or accuses) those of us who eat sugar eat it all day long, without any adherence to our macros or overall diet plan. This is why there is backlash.

There is nothing inherently wrong with eating sugar - in moderation and in absence of a medical problem. To say that a piece of candy will blow your whole diet when you are staying within your calorie and macro goals is just...patently false. If you cannot have a piece of sugar because it will trigger you to go overboard, than that is a completely different story. Those of us who don't have that problem, however, should not feel the need to cut it our of our diets completely because it is "evil"

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to the same point - some of us DO feel we had an addiction to sugar (see dictionary definition of the word "addiction" if there is confusion) and chose to cut back on it because we felt it was adding to our innability to stay under our daily recomended calorie intake. Some of us refer to this as "giving up sugar" or "cutting sugar" or "not eating added sugar".

Eating sugar will make me fat. Eating chicken will make me fat. Eating oranges will make me fat"... the only way any of those things will make me fat is if I eat them in excess....which I was doing, with "sugar" ie candy, but I refer to it as sugar because most people understand what I'm talking about....

I, for one, never said sugar was "evil"... but I'd be fine if someone would like to say that.... we all have our own personal devils - and devils are evil - and we are here to fight these demons. I stuggeled with alcohol - I would call alcoholism a demon, though now I do not see that alcohol is "evil"... and I wouldn't feel right telling a friend that was drinking that he/she was consuming something evil and satanic...but the addiction, the dependancy, was a personal, evil demon I had to cope with, linked to alcohol - much like a personal, addictive feeling towards sugar might be a personal demon linking sugar to being 'evil". Once you rid yourself of your dependancy, ie, your demons, things like sugar will look less evil as you realize you no longer have that dependancy.

While you are "addicted" - yes - call sugar evil all day long if it helps you stay away from making poor choices because that, afterall, is what getting healthy is all about!
    Just don't go telling other people that they are making evil choices... that will only get you put under attack on public message boards... People are only allowed to tell you YOU'RE wrong for calling sugar evil, but YOU are wrong if you tell other people your opinion. Haha ok that was a bit or sarcasm ... the fact of the matter regarding that is something along the lines of do unto others.... And cut out whatever you need to cut out to jump start your journey to sucess...you may fowl up along the way and realize maybe something wasn't the best decision...you make have great sucess - IMO try what you need to, do hat works, use MFP to learn to eat healthy and everything else will fall into place ;-)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I was also wondering about sugar. For the past month I have been under my goal of 45 grams per day 2/3 of the time. It doesn't sound very good if you think about me being over my goal a 1/3 of the time. I have still been losing weight without really watching sugar. Should I worry about it, or not until I plateau?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Why do people defend sugar on this site. Are you working for the sugar industry? It has no nutritional value that I know of, so if you are trying to lose weight, it seems logical to cut out foods that are empty calories. Congratulations to those of you that can eat whatever you want! How nice for those of you who have no clue what it feels like to be a carb addict. Tired of seeing this back lash everyday. People trying to eat healthier and you knocking them down. REALLY?

Actually, the problem here is that people in the forums feel like they have to operate in extremes. That anti-sugar crusade automatically believes (or accuses) those of us who eat sugar eat it all day long, without any adherence to our macros or overall diet plan. This is why there is backlash.

There is nothing inherently wrong with eating sugar - in moderation and in absence of a medical problem. To say that a piece of candy will blow your whole diet when you are staying within your calorie and macro goals is just...patently false. If you cannot have a piece of sugar because it will trigger you to go overboard, than that is a completely different story. Those of us who don't have that problem, however, should not feel the need to cut it our of our diets completely because it is "evil"

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to the same point - some of us DO feel we had an addiction to sugar (see dictionary definition of the word "addiction" if there is confusion) and chose to cut back on it because we felt it was adding to our innability to stay under our daily recomended calorie intake. Some of us refer to this as "giving up sugar" or "cutting sugar" or "not eating added sugar".

Eating sugar will make me fat. Eating chicken will make me fat. Eating oranges will make me fat"... the only way any of those things will make me fat is if I eat them in excess....which I was doing, with "sugar" ie candy, but I refer to it as sugar because most people understand what I'm talking about....

I, for one, never said sugar was "evil"... but I'd be fine if someone would like to say that.... we all have our own personal devils - and devils are evil - and we are here to fight these demons. I stuggeled with alcohol - I would call alcoholism a demon, though now I do not see that alcohol is "evil"... and I wouldn't feel right telling a friend that was drinking that he/she was consuming something evil and satanic...but the addiction, the dependancy, was a personal, evil demon I had to cope with, linked to alcohol - much like a personal, addictive feeling towards sugar might be a personal demon linking sugar to being 'evil". Once you rid yourself of your dependancy, ie, your demons, things like sugar will look less evil as you realize you no longer have that dependancy.

While you are "addicted" - yes - call sugar evil all day long if it helps you stay away from making poor choices because that, afterall, is what getting healthy is all about!
    Just don't go telling other people that they are making evil choices... that will only get you put under attack on public message boards... People are only allowed to tell you YOU'RE wrong for calling sugar evil, but YOU are wrong if you tell other people your opinion. Haha ok that was a bit or sarcasm ... the fact of the matter regarding that is something along the lines of do unto others.... And cut out whatever you need to cut out to jump start your journey to sucess...you may fowl up along the way and realize maybe something wasn't the best decision...you make have great sucess - IMO try what you need to, do hat works, use MFP to learn to eat healthy and everything else will fall into place ;-)

The difference with alcohol though is that it is an actual physical dependency. Comparing sugar addiction to alcohol is ridiculous at best.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I was also wondering about sugar. For the past month I have been under my goal of 45 grams per day 2/3 of the time. It doesn't sound very good if you think about me being over my goal a 1/3 of the time. I have still been losing weight without really watching sugar. Should I worry about it, or not until I plateau?

Unless you have a medical condition don't worry about it at all.

I'm hilariously over my sugar intake every single day and I've lost 53 lbs, gone from 35% BF to 17% and have seem great benefits to my overall health by just focusing on getting my micros and macros.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Common sense?

How?

Um. Because excess calories make you fat?

Agreed, who is saying they do not?

My post was not addressing weight loss, it was discussing what happens to excess sugar in the bloodstream.

I think I've mention calorie deficit enough in this thread to make my position on how weight loss occurs clear!
  • MissMissle

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference with alcohol though is that it is an actual physical dependency. Comparing sugar addiction to alcohol is ridiculous at best.

Meh, not for me - I had addiction to both. One just happened to hurt other's around me more... but again, just my personal experience with both. Definetly not rediculous for me - the struggle was equally as hard, and actually continues to me more so with certain candies odly! I can easily have ONE drink, but ONE candy bar? HA! The talk I have in my head is much more intense when it comes to putting down the candy bar than putting down the whiskey - maybe it's because i wasn't offered a 12 step prgram fro Hersheys!! Who knows LOL but definetly, NOT rediculous - just how it is for me ;-)
  • chiffonish
    chiffonish Posts: 4 Member
    If you want to cut out sugar, don't use fruit or diet sweet drinks to replace sugar.
    Add some chromium and zinc supplements--these will help reduce the cravings.
    After two solid days of no sweet tasting food whatsoever, you should start to experience fewer and fewer cravings.
    Drink lots of unflavored water.
    No dairy unless its cream. No yogurt. No cereal. No oatmeal. No rice.
    No fruits.
    Try to eat lean protein and veggies as much as possible.
    Starches will cause your cravings to come back. Its a never-ending cause and effect.
    Good luck!
    PS....check out Dr. Hyman and Mark's Daily Apple.
    Many people successfully make this lifestyle change.

So unnecessary.

Sounds like a sh** diet!

It might sound pretty bad to you, but this is what the guy is asking for, don't knock suggestions clearly providing an answer.

This is actually a pretty good deal. I've cut sugar down (including fruit) and I've never felt better. Sure, I can fit sweet treats into my daily limitations every now and then, but let me tell you, things like strawberries are insanely sweet to me now when I used to eat them with sweeteners. I feel like I can taste everything in its fullness now.
  • Hornsby

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh, not for me - I had addiction to both. One just happened to hurt other's around me more... but again, just my personal experience with both. Definetly not rediculous for me - the struggle was equally as hard, and actually continues to me more so with certain candies odly! I can easily have ONE drink, but ONE candy bar? HA! The talk I have in my head is much more intense when it comes to putting down the candy bar than putting down the whiskey - maybe it's because i wasn't offered a 12 step prgram fro Hersheys!! Who knows LOL but definetly, NOT rediculous - just how it is for me ;-)

So if you eat sugar, and then don't eat sugar, you physically get ill? Like you would with a drug addiction? I find that hard to believe.

There are a lot of good things in life. Just because we can't refrain from them doesn't make it an addiction. It makes us lack willpower.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member

Unless you have a medical condition don't worry about it at all.

I'm hilariously over my sugar intake every single day and I've lost 53 lbs, gone from 35% BF to 17% and have seem great benefits to my overall health by just focusing on getting my micros and macros.

Thanks so much, you confirmed what I was already thinking. Once I plateau I can rethink, for now I'll just continue to lose :)
  • MissMissle

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you eat sugar, and then don't eat sugar, you physically get ill? Like you would with a drug addiction? I find that hard to believe.

There are a lot of good things in life. Just because we can't refrain from them doesn't make it an addiction. It makes us lack willpower.

Nope - I do not get physically ill - I also can have a drink now and then and I don't get physically ill. I think I eat plenty of sugar now - I actually changed my macros because I was so "over" every day - nope, never got ill (although i did get physically ill from eating bags and bags of candy...but thats TMI). I'm not sure if other people who stopped drinking then had a drink years later got ill - I've never heard of this, but I'm sure it could happen.
  • CarieLivs
    CarieLivs Posts: 15 Member
    I love Yoplait's 100 Calorie Black Cherry Greek yogurt for one of my afternoon snacks. It cures my afternoon sugar cravings and keeps me full.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Nope - I do not get physically ill - I also can have a drink now and then and I don't get physically ill. I think I eat plenty of sugar now - I actually changed my macros because I was so "over" every day - nope, never got ill (although i did get physically ill from eating bags and bags of candy...but thats TMI). I'm not sure if other people who stopped drinking then had a drink years later got ill - I've never heard of this, but I'm sure it could happen.

What he is referring to is the fact that alcoholics become physically ill when they STOP drinking because their bodies have become so reliant on the substance. This is the same with many drugs. It's actually a physical dependency, which is why it is so hard to treat that kind of an addiction.

With all due respect, to both you and truly suffering alcoholics, if you can have a drink today and stop at one, than you were never an alcoholic. People with a true addiction like that can never go back. Perhaps you overindulged too much and it's great that you've gotten it in check, but let's not diminish real addiction and the life-long commitment it takes to get sober and stay sober.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

(Totally unrelated thought, but is anyone else's check from Big Sugar late this month? I usually have it by the 15th. I spend every waking moment of my life defending them in this forum. Is it too much to ask that they be more timely with their payments???)
  • Hornsby

What he is referring to is the fact that alcoholics become physically ill when they STOP drinking because their bodies have become so reliant on the substance. This is the same with many drugs. It's actually a physical dependency, which is why it is so hard to treat that kind of an addiction.

With all due respect, to both you and truly suffering alcoholics, if you can have a drink today and stop at one, than you were never an alcoholic. People with a true addiction like that can never go back. Perhaps you overindulged too much and it's great that you've gotten it in check, but let's not diminish real addiction and the life-long commitment it takes to get sober and stay sober.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was clear earlier, but apparently not. All I was saying is that comparing alcoholism (which is a physical and psychological) to being addicted to sugar is ridiculous. If there was such a thing as sugar addiction, it would be in the same breath as sex addiction, video game addiction, etc. These all create releases in the brain that are similar to sugar, but really it's just will power in my opinion.
  • Magemisty
    Magemisty Posts: 87 Member
    The easiest way to eliminate unwanted ingredients, whether it be sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, or mono sodium glutamate, or partially hydrogenated oils- is simply to avoid processed foods.
    Buy whole foods and cook.
    It's healthier, it's cheaper, and it tastes better.

exactly buying ready meals (even if they are low fat) contain lots of sugar . also cereals can contain lots of sugar too. always read the packaging .
  • MissMissle

Oh - I didn't understand what he was saying - yes, that makes sence - no, i did not get ill when i stopped eating candy - I just had intence cravings, sexual cravings, Im not sure how else to describe it!!

And with all due respect, your staement regarding alcoholism is false. Generally nothing works the same way 100% of the time for 100% of the people involved. I distincly remember my father, who I absolutly adore and who Im sure would give the world for me, crashing cars into the driveway then coming in and throwing anything he could get his hands on, including my plate full off food at the dinner table, against the wall right above my mother's head in a complete, drunken rage. This wasn't him. This was his demon - his alcoholism. it got worse...and worse...and worse, until everything was broken - our family, our trust. Mom eventually kicked him out, he got help, he came back, things are good. He stayed 100% away from alcohol for I believe 8 years. I remember the day he took a sip of a beer and my mom getting mad, and there wa san argument that persued...and we all cried...and he didnt do it again. But then as time passed he did - someone would bring a craft brew to an Xmas party, my cousin made his own beer, etc. he would try it, he would have one beer, and he would be fine. When we approchaed him and he explained that he no longer felt the desire to overindulge I believe him. it's been over 5 years since he's started having "one drink here and there" again. And hes fine - he can do it. He had a problem, he WAS an alcoholis - he IS an alcoholic if you ask him, he will always have that small part of him, but he doesnt let it control him anymore. he doesnt put himself in situations where he will be tempted - he wont go to a bar, he wont buy beer, but if i offer him a guiness, sure, he will drink that ONE guiness, and be content with himself. So please, do not doscredit mine and my families struggles and triumphs. You may not agree that sugar has the same addictive qualities as alcohol or other drugs, and thats fine, you may very well be right - but you might be wrong too. I only know things from my own experience.