How many calories do you burn in a cardio workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I did Insanity- the Shaun T workout video- fairly often. (I say did because I'm now beginning to implement FocusT25 instead.) The shorter Insanity videos had about 30 minutes of cardio and I would burn about 270 calories. The longer video had about 50 minutes of cardio and my calorie burn was about 440. Both of these numbers don't please me. I work SO hard when I do those videos, but because I'm shorter and lighter I don't burn as much as others. On the elliptical and treadmill I supposedly burn 12 calories per minute, but if I use my HRM it's only about 8 calories per minute.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Debbie.

All apps, cardio machines and MFP show a burn 30-100% higher than my Garmin HRM. I'm 44, 5ft1in and 67kg.

Today for example 65min = 470cals (HRM), average heart rate 138 (100-160 range) (155 is high for me)

This was my run:
    50min running + 10min walking (warm up / cool down). My run included 4km with an incline of 4.5% in 35min and 7.7km total. 2km were downhill, one of which was walking time cooling down. So that would equal about a 5k with incline in 42min, the rest was flat or downhill.

Even with a lower, IMO, more accurate burn, I only eat about 50% of these cals back.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    im not sure how someone can train for 60min with there heart rate at 178 I dont know athletes that keep that pace.

Some folks are effectively (and generally unintentionally) hacking the calorie algorithms in their HRMs with HIIT. Interval training where the "slow" periods are short enough will show incredible calorie burns because the heart hasn't had a chance to slow down too much - but it's a mirage, those numbers are a huge overestimate.
  • lmmo1977
    Options
    The HR monitor should be correct.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

They are only correct under some pretty specific conditions, none of which are met by interval-type exercise.
  • lmmo1977
    Options
    Judging from my heart rate monitor, I burn around 300 calories when I'm on the elliptical for around 45 minutes. That seems pretty low, but I'm not extremely overweight, so maybe that's why? idk.

The HR monitor is correct.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

They are only correct under some pretty specific conditions, none of which are met by interval-type exercise.

This. Cals burned is more than just HR and more than just personal body stats, it also involves VO2. There's a good post about it around here somewhere.

700+ cal burns per hour are pretty laughable, btw. Anything that's causing greater than 10-12 cals burned per minute other than running is hardly sustainable for 60 minutes.
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 days a week. My cardio exercises are usually 60-70 minutes long. The cal burn is usually between 750-830 cals each time as well. Depends on how I feel that day. I use a stationary bike with levels of resistance and a cal counter.
  • lmmo1977
    Options

They are quite ok, maybe not the best thing for interval-type exercise as you mention however.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Found it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories?hl=accuracy+of+HRM&page=1#posts-16031917

ETA: This is from the same poster as the blog link above, but it's more recent, not sure how much they differ.
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I use the elliptical, 25-45 minutes 200-400 calories. When I play tennis or racquetball it is from 45-90 minutes--about 400-850 calories. I find that it is easier to do a lot more cardio if I am doing an active sport. The tennis is more active than doubles--it is a drill where the instructor keeps us moving all the time. I do about 45 minutes on the racquetball,
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    As of late, 1 Hour of Cycling is around 650-700 calories.
  • notjackie85
    Options
    I usually do 45-60 minutes on the elliptical and burn between 500 and 625 calories, this includes a 5 minutes cool down.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    usually 400-600 but up to 1,000 when it's nice outside.