New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• dgnieski
    dgnieski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using the 15 day trail Belviq and have lost 5 lbs in one week and noticed that my appetite is much better (eating less food). On the flip side, I have been extremely fatigued to the point of depression and have NO energy! I am now only taking one pill per day because two pills literally make me like a zombie! I am hoping that it takes a full two weeks for the drug to metabolize in my system and the fatigue and light headed symptoms will subside.
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are Belviq and Qsymia appetite suppressants? so they wouldn't be recommended if you had no problem eating managed portions/ counting calories? i don't have issues with food anymore- i just don't lose. i essentially need a metabolism boost without weight lifting 2 hours a day.
  • keribossy
    keribossy Posts: 1
    Options
    You can call 1-855-235-8471. They will email you a 15 day free trial certificate. You still have to get a prescription from your doctor to receive the medication.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Are Belviq and Qsymia appetite suppressants? so they wouldn't be recommended if you had no problem eating managed portions/ counting calories? i don't have issues with food anymore- i just don't lose. i essentially need a metabolism boost without weight lifting 2 hours a day.

No, Belviq does not boost your metabolism. Also the recommended rate of loss is much less than what most people here are looking for. The guidelines from Belviq is 5% of your total body weight in 3 months or 10% in a year. That is less than a pound a week for most people. It's not a fast weight loss drug at all.

I experienced a minor backache for a day or two and a very slight headache for another day or two, possibly a little fatigue, but being I started at the end of my college semester and with just a little over a month from my teacher end of semester, it may have been that.

I've been using Belviq for a month, after the usual quick weight loss I have always experienced with MFP I stalled for two weeks. I need to exercise more but an unrelated health problem is keeping me from walking. But I find it really easy to stay under my calorie goal. I consider MFP to be my primary plan with Belviq as secondary. While I understand that Belviq is meant to be long term, possible life long, and accepted that possibility I am planning on stopping at least once and going with MFP alone. One issue will be leaving other medications I've been taking for a chronic health issue. My doctor and I are working out a plan of dropping the meds in the correct order. We're hoping for some independent research over the next year or two to guide us.
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    welp, it had been a month and Dietylproprion did nothing. i weigh exactly the same so i am taking Qsymia starting today. My doc said Belviq has an appetite suppressant and i don't need that. my work is getting busier so i am not finding time to eat much anyway. I don't know that this will help and i dread the side effects (i notice in my 40's i have no patience w not feeling well) but this is the last stop before i go get a personal trainer for $$ who makes me do sprints at 4am with a weighted backpack. There is NOTHING further i can do to change my diet.
  • marykayedney
    Options
    I have been taking Qsymia for four days and have lost six pounds. I am thrilled
  • FatCatsRule
    FatCatsRule Posts: 37
    Options
    Yep, this is my first post and I found this thread like others by Googling Belviq as well. And although I do not necessarily think that the people here were bulling, I do think some were extremely rude and insulting. It is not just what you say but HOW YOU SAY IT. There is a better way of conveying your ideas than name calling or telling anyone they are fat and lazy just because you do not share the same beliefs about their use of weight loss drugs. You have no idea what others are going through in their health and weight loss journey. A little more compassion and support would go a lot further than demeaning someone especially since the reason for this forum is to help build up and support others, as well as get support yourself... or you would not be here either, now would you?

Belviq is not just another fad diet pill and not an addictive amphetamine like Phentermine. The FDA approved Belviq with the guidelines that it only prescribed for those that have either a BMI of >30 OR a BMI of >27 and at least one major medical risk factor such as high blood pressure. The weight loss program I checked into is run by Bariatric doctors and before even being considered for Belviq, requires BMI testing, bone density testing, a full physical, complete blood panel, EKG, meeting with nutritionist to get a meal plan in place and a meeting with a physical trainer to get a workout routine scheduled. Once the above have been completed and the doctor has determined candidacy for the drug, Belviq may be prescribed along with a healthy meal plan and exercise regime.

From what I have learned about Belviq so far, the results are extremely positive and many people that have struggled with weight and health issues for years (ie. High blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.) are seeing some amazing weight loss results and major health benefits. Many people have been able to reduce the amount of health related drugs they are required to take daily and some have even been able to stop them altogether. You can read some reviews from users here: http://www.drugs.com/comments/lorcaserin/belviq.html
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    And i will agree with the regular posters here who complain that some of the pro-Belviq posts sound like they are shills paid to write these reviews, I must agree. I have 40+ days logging in, and a posting history that pre-dates these new pharmaceuticals.
  • MarthaQ2
    MarthaQ2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi where can I get these pills?
  • FatCatsRule
    Options
    Hi where can I get these pills?

Apparently you did not read my post above. You must get them from a doctor.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I still haven't tried Belviq; my doctor said that Phentermine, which I use, is not addictive. I have used it before, and never became addicted to it. The only problem I have had is feeling tired for a few days after I stopped using it. But the truth is, diet pills are just a start. For me, it was a quick way to get almost down to my ideal weight, quickly. The doctor I am seeing weans her patients off slowly, for six months, so that we keep the healthy eating habits we have learned. Even after that, the will keep tabs on me for another six months.

Before when I used diet pills, my regular doctor gave them to me, and didn't do much except write the prescription. The doctor I am seeing now is a Bariatric Physician. She is very knowledgeable about nutrition, and counsels me on the right types of foods to eat. She asks me each month what type of exercise I am doing. I can ask as many questions as I want, without feeling rushed. Each month I give her a printout of the foods I eat and my exercise. Thanks to MyFitnessPal it is easy for me too keep track of. My doctor also listens to my heart each visit and takes my blood pressure. I had to do compete blood work and have an EKG when I started.

From the great experience I am having going to a Bariatric Physician, I highly recommend it.
  • FatCatsRule
    Options
    I still haven't tried Belviq; my doctor said that Phentermine, which I use, is not addictive. I have used it before, and never became addicted to it. The only problem I have had is feeling tired for a few days after I stopped using it. But the truth is, diet pills are just a start. For me, it was a quick way to get almost down to my ideal weight, quickly. The doctor I am seeing weans her patients off slowly, for six months, so that we keep the healthy eating habits we have learned. Even after that, the will keep tabs on me for another six months.

Before when I used diet pills, my regular doctor gave them to me, and didn't do much except write the prescription. The doctor I am seeing now is a Bariatric Physician. She is very knowledgeable about nutrition, and counsels me on the right types of foods to eat. She asks me each month what type of exercise I am doing. I can ask as many questions as I want, without feeling rushed. Each month I give her a printout of the foods I eat and my exercise. Thanks to MyFitnessPal it is easy for me too keep track of. My doctor also listens to my heart each visit and takes my blood pressure. I had to do compete blood work and have an EKG when I started.

From the great experience I am having going to a Bariatric Physician, I highly recommend it.
    Not addictive? It is an amphetamine and is totally addictive.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Apparently my Bariatric Physician lies. She says they are not addictive. And when I have taken them before, I have not experienced withdrawals. I guess that means I am a liar too.

Note to self: It's amazing to me that you people think you are Physicians. I should have known better than to post here. Self, stay the heck away from these forms.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Sorry. Phentermine may be similar pharmacologically to amphetamines, but it is not one. It isn't even in the same class of controlled substances as amphetamines, class IV vs Class II. Class IV drugs are considered low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. So no, it is not nearly as nefarious as you claim. If you are going to trash weight loss medications, please be accurate in your trashing. There are legitimate reasons to not take meds, just like there are legitimate reasons to take them. It doesn't do the anti-medication proponents any good to be peddling inaccurate and easily debunked information.
  • floatingnomad
    Options

There has been no bullying in this thread ! I think that has well and truly been established !! quote me a piece of the thread that backs up this ridiculous claim ! Getting a bit fed up of repeating myself, and still no supporting evidence from those who claim bullying ! hmm, strange that.

Ok, new to this and have no idea how to multiple post...because there were indeed multiple. So I'll just quote the poster I found the most offensive. "Get off your lazy *kitten* and start eating better. " That gem was somewhere on page 2 I think. And to be honest, your constant "So tell me again how I'm a bully!" ranting is not coming across well when the girl you keep snapping at never even mentioned you specifically. I feel like if I met you in person you'd be yelling "Who's a bully, huh?!!" while poking your finger in my chest. And do you really not realize how sarcastic you've been? I haven't finished reading this thread but I had to interrupt my reading to write to you.
  • FatCatsRule
    Options
    Apparently my Bariatric Physician lies. She says they are not addictive. And when I have taken them before, I have not experienced withdrawals. I guess that means I am a liar too.

Note to self: It's amazing to me that you people think you are Physicians. I should have known better than to post here. Self, stay the heck away from these forms.
    Did I say ANYONE was a liar? Nope, I sure didn't. But I am curious why your BARIATRIC physician is prescribing Phentermine for you.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are bad, mmmkay?

what she said........................
  • agrafina
    Options

Did I say ANYONE was a liar? Nope, I sure didn't. But I am curious why your BARIATRIC physician is prescribing Phentermine for you.

Sigh.

"Bariatrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity." Wikipedia is your friend. Use it.

A bariatrician is a perfectly appropriate physician to be getting weight loss medication through. What precisely does your problem seem to be (I ask since emphasis typically denotes either some sort of "gotcha" or that there is some issue to be had)? I'm genuinely curious.
  • FatCatsRule
    Options

Sigh.

"Bariatrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity." Wikipedia is your friend. Use it.

A bariatrician is a perfectly appropriate physician to be getting weight loss medication through. What precisely does your problem seem to be (I ask since emphasis typically denotes either some sort of "gotcha" or that there is some issue to be had)? I'm genuinely curious.

I asked why you are being prescribed Phentermine only because I believe there are safer weight loss medications available these days( ie. Belviq). Not sure if the newer meds work as well or as fast as Phentermine, so that is why I asked.
  • agrafina
    Options

Sigh.

I asked why you are being prescribed Phentermine only because I believe there are safer weight loss medications available these days( ie. Belviq). Not sure if the newer meds work as well or as fast as Phentermine, so that is why I asked.

I'm not the person you originally asked, but I can tell you that phentermine was never the one of the diet drugs back in the 90's that was dangerous--you may thinking of either dexfenfleuramine (Redux) or fenflueramine (the fen in fen/phen). Fenflueramine was combined with phentermine, but phentermine wasn't the problem child of the duo. Phentermine has been tested with topiramate (Topamax) fairly extensively looking at the impact on weight loss, and it doesn't have a negative effect. Qysmia is a combination of phentermine and topirimate, and that combination has probably been more studied than Belviq, tbh, since I think the combination has been being used ever since they realized that topirimate could be used for weight loss. I've seen a lot of studies on the two, and I've not seen any significant indicators of harm. Like I said above, phentermine is actually a pretty safe drug with low risk of dependence and low potential for abuse. I think it gets a bad rap because its parent compound is amphetamine, but it doesn't have nearly the same degree of addictiveness or potential for abuse.