I'm a failure

Options

Replies

• Fitnesdude
    Fitnesdude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. Keep going! This is a great site and your friends and coaches are here with you on a journey. We will all get to our first goal and then our second and third. We are here to fill each others "bucket" until it overflows into other buckets. We are not here to ladle out of each others bucket. If you want to get more inspiration get the book "How full is your Bucket" from Tom Rath from the Library. It is awesome!

"If you can dream it you can become it"
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We all slip up.. Don't quit because of a slip up.. Just forget about it and move on.. Your NOT a failure.. Your human and humans slip up.. Keep it up you WILL see results and seeing the results will help you to stay motivated :smile:
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Please....3 days. I turned the whole month of December and half of January into an all-out pie eating contest and set myself back 9 pounds.
    It's not failing ,what you're doing. It's human nature when you've been denying yourself things, to then naturally want them. What you're doing right now is half the battle: admitting that eating that way isn't what you REALLY want, facing the music, turning it around, and continuing with your plan.
    If I hadn't turned it around, 'I'd be in deep doo-doo right now. You just decide how you want to be spending your time and energy - doing it, or thinking about doing it.
    Now get to it !
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    "No man (or woman) is a failure who has friends."
    Clarence the Angel (2nd class).
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Like my awesome friend Herbie above, I echo the "3 days?" sentiment. I recently set myself back a whole 9 lbs over 3 weeks (or was it more?) of rock-star partying and celebrating my accomplishments, and I'm totally going to post a success story this weekend DESPITE those 9 lbs.

You are NOT a failure, and you are NOT failing. I don't know how old you are but you are taking a huge step in correcting many years of bad habits. So am I. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it overnight either. Sometimes it helps just to focus on making the good days outnumber the bad. Despite the large ticker # of what I've lost below, I have those same feelings, and I do exactly what you just did---I face my mistakes, and I accept the fact that I don't have a magic time machine to go back and correct those mistakes, but I make the best decisions I can make on a micro level from this point forward. Today is day 1. Today WILL be a great day. You just have to make it that way.

I had to go back and edit this when I re-read your last 2 questions: "How do I not tell myself lies about how it's not worth it and I have so far go that I can't see my goals? And that now I've screwed up what I had started to accomplish?"

Every inch you make on any journey gets you closer to your destination. If I started off saying "I have to lose over 200 lbs," I probably would have lost my *kitten* and given up back in 2013. Instead I set smaller goals, whether it was to be under calories for a week, or work out X number of times or swim Y miles or lose 10 lbs or 10% of my goal or 10% of my body weight. So maybe your goal can be something smaller like that. Make it achievable. Achieve it. Beat it. And set a new goal to follow. You CAN do it.
  • ctcraig86
    ctcraig86 Posts: 2
    Options
    Keep this idea in mind: Your weight loss didn't happen overnight; weight gain will not happen overnight. While it sucks that you have fallen off, so-to-speak, for a couple days, that doesn't mean all hope is lost. You know what is the correct choice to make. It really is up to you to make the decision whether or not to go exercise and what you should and shouldn't eat. It really just comes down to what sounds better to you: eating the junk food and feeling like **** afterwards, or doing good for your body and relishing in the great mood and feelings that follow achieving your goals one day at a time.

You can do it. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you cannot. And keep this in mind as well: just because you choose to eat the junk, make up for it by doing some exercise. As long as you are counter-balancing the bad with the good, you'll still make progress. And eventually you'll swing far enough towards the good that the bad will fade out and won't even be a problem anymore.

Good luck!
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump....for when I hit one of my rough spots along the way.

I can't really add anymore than what has already been said. I have learned to see my failures more as lessons to improve my future and bring me closer to success. :-)

Awesome support shining through this thread. It truly made me smile.

Best wishes!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Heard this several times, if you dropped your mobile on the floor, would you think we'll that's it then and stamp on it? No, you'd pick it up and carry on. We are all in this together.
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I come and read success stories, or motivation posts when I feel like I've been making poor choices...
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just for the next meal, stay on track. One meal.

Just for the next two meals, stay on track.

Just for the next day, stay on track. Just one day.

If you can do one or two meals, one or two days, you can do more. Let the momentum of those successes carry you forward.

One step at a time, one misstep at a time, one pound at a time.

Two steps forward and one step back still gets you to where you are going.

Giving up on your goal because of a setback is like slashing your other three tires because you got one flat.

You CAN do this!
  • Cosmo180
    Cosmo180 Posts: 7
    Options
    Look at that "12 pounds lost". Think of all it took to get there. Think about how nice it will be when it reads 15...then 20. Its 3 bad days. Here's the tough part: Buck up! Its 3 bad days, not 3 bad weeks. Think about bad you feel now and remind yourself of why you never want to feel that way again.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    forgive yourself NOW. Stop whining and stop beating yourself up. Start fresh NOW. (not tomorrow morning, not monday). Get away from the food and go for a walk/job/bike (insert other easily accesible physical activity) NOW.

^This!
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you. I was just HOPING someone would reply. I just needed someone who understood to give me some support. And a kick in the butt. I needed to hear from someone besides WRONG voices in my head!

KICK... don't be a failure.. be a loser like the rest of us.. (watch for puns crossing) kick..kick..ooops foot stuck...YANK!

we all need a good kick in da tushy every now and thenn don't sweat it and get back on track. consider your derailment over and hop aboard the new weight loss train !!
  • stryder2807
    stryder2807 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I never make the same mistake twice, I make it three or four times just to make sure.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Stop the negative self-talk, you are not a failure! A lot of us have our days like this. If you really did fail you wouldn't have lost 12 pounds already and you wouldn't be on here asking for help. Don't wait till the next day to get back on track, get back on track when you have your next meal.

Also, if your big goal is overwhelming it might be a good idea to break it down into smaller goals. Take it 10 or 20 pounds at a time.
  • marvinq42
    marvinq42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree 3 days isn't that bad.

But, something I can tell you that may motivate you... Whenever I screw something in life up. I get up in the morning the next day and say, "Today is a new day" and I try to mentally cue myself to continue with a blank slate.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You're only a failure if you give up.

All those success stories you compare yourself to, you don't think any of them had a couple bad days? No one is perfect. Everyone slips up. It's what you do after that that counts.

So make the choice right now to get back to work. 3 days off only made you hate yourself, go back to being proud of yourself. You deserve that.

^^^this^^^^

Just dont stop. Even when ya take a step off the ol wagon....realize it, accept it and get right back up on it. Doesnt matter if it's one day or 20.......GET BACK ON. You can and you KNOW it.

I "fell" for several months and it sucked donkey doo...but Im back and rockin it hard. Will it happen again? I would hope not but this isnt my first rodeo (thanks Dr Phil) so I hope and pray it doesnt but will accept it and hate it and move on when it does
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    firstly try not being so negative about yourself. Thats one thing i've managed to figure out, if you keep telling yourself i cant do it then you probably wont be able to!
    Everyone has bad days, the trick is to pick yourself up and carry on.
    Try setting a small target first and give yourself a reward at the end of it to keep you motivated. for me my first target is to lose 6lbs then i can buy myself a new pair of Nike Trainers i've had my eye on for the past few days. (just stay away from the food treats for a while)
    Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You're only a failure when you quit.

Just because you haven't finished the race doesn't mean you never will- keep going!

^^^ I was just about to post the exact same thing

if you fall, get up again and keep going.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. "Remember failure is an event, not a person." - Zig Zilar